• Oct 2017

concerning HEN: i made a detailed ECHO-I SSN 3d model if its any help

Comment

• Kazzer
      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
      1/72 FOXTROT.

David
      You already have the hull, and remember David, you and I paid dearly into that, so make me happy and get 'er done.
      Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Kazzer
        You already have the hull, and remember David, you and I paid dearly into that, so make me happy and get 'er done.
        Totally agree, Boss. Like Bob, my hull is built up and I'm loath to turn it into a master. Rick's hull and sail had small asymmetry issues which I'll correct if I ever get around to making masters for those two items to bring the project to a successful close.

David
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
          Admiral
          • Jul 2011

again Foxtrot would be an excellent choice (i've wanted one since Rick built that first hull), one another note, my son is putting together a 1/700 Typhoon. A 1/144 scale would be a great sub for r/c!
          If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Subculture
            Admiral
            • Feb 2009

I recall that a group- or crowd-souced to use the current parlance- builds were fairly popular over at Sub Pirates, back in the dark days of the noughties when the website was firing on all cylinders. Used to have Steve Neill cranking out hull masters, Dave Merriman would do the fittings and the late Dave Welch would develop a dive system. Went well initially but seemed to turn sour later on.

Group builds require everyone involved to keep up their end of the bargain, also needs to be clear who has the rights to the finished model if it's going to be kitted commercially and you need everyone involved to be at a similar level of ability, or at least be able to work to a standard. In a nutshell it requires careful management, and a close eye on the personalities involved.

When deciding on a subject, I think only those involved in the build should have the final say. Many will wax lyrical about availability of a certain subject, at a certain scale, then disappear like willo the wisp when it's time to cough up the readies.

Comment

• Aug 2008

It's not often I have to disagree strongly and with passion against something Andy says.

…And this ain't one of those times.

Spot on, pal! The Internet and model clubs are crummy with broken promises and bad-blood generated by 'group' projects. Quality model-makers are, by definition, loan wolf, cave dwelling, anti-social, *******s. Getting more than two of them to work cooperatively makes cat training look simple.

David
              Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 07-24-2018, 11:45 AM.
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Subculture
                Admiral
                • Feb 2009

Ha, ha. Well I don’t wish to pour cold water on the concept, just advising a degree of caution.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Subculture
                  Ha, ha. Well I don’t wish to pour cold water on the concept, just advising a degree of caution.
                  Not cold water. You issued a cold, stark presentation of the reality of most 'group' projects. Without the right mix of people; clear definition of jobs and ownership; and organization, things are doomed to go astray.

The Neill-Merriman-Welsh cabal worked in spite of our respective charming personalities -- a group of exceptionally (almost God like) talented guys who did several successful projects together -- almost by accident. History points to our cooperative to be the exception, not the rule.

I join with Andy in his cautionary warning. Don't jump in to a group project unless you can do the work, and know your place in the group.

Good stuff, Andy.

David
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Tirfing
                    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                    • Jan 2017

Originally posted by JHapprich
                    concerning HEN: i made a detailed ECHO-I SSN 3d model if its any help
                    Hi Happich, that sounds interesting. Do you consider it as a base for an ECHO II?

Comment

• JHapprich
                      Captain
                      • Oct 2017

Click image for larger version

Name:	659T.PNG
Views:	91
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	127025

Originally posted by Tirfing

Hi Happich, that sounds interesting. Do you consider it as a base for an ECHO II?
                      Hi Trfing ;-) not a good base for echo II.better to use the juliet class. Did that one as high-poly model too.only my echo II model is not that nice.

since there were some requests, this is my ECHO I 3D model :
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	659T1.jpg Views:	3 Size:	305.5 KB ID:	126991
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	659T2.jpg Views:	3 Size:	335.3 KB ID:	126992
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	659T18.jpg Views:	3 Size:	281.8 KB ID:	126993
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	659T3.jpg Views:	3 Size:	278.1 KB ID:	126994
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	659T13.jpg Views:	3 Size:	259.2 KB ID:	126995
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	659T7.jpg Views:	3 Size:	364.0 KB ID:	126996
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	659T4.jpg Views:	3 Size:	264.6 KB ID:	126997
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	659T14.jpg Views:	3 Size:	295.4 KB ID:	126998
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	659T6.jpg Views:	3 Size:	289.7 KB ID:	126999
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	659T20.jpg Views:	3 Size:	390.0 KB ID:	127000
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	659T22.jpg Views:	3 Size:	356.5 KB ID:	127001
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	659T19.jpg Views:	3 Size:	304.3 KB ID:	127002
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	659T12.jpg Views:	3 Size:	262.5 KB ID:	127003
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	659T15.jpg Views:	3 Size:	284.7 KB ID:	127004
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	659T27.jpg Views:	3 Size:	343.0 KB ID:	127005
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	659T26.jpg Views:	3 Size:	358.0 KB ID:	127006
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	659T11.jpg Views:	3 Size:	420.0 KB ID:	127007
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	659T8.jpg Views:	3 Size:	399.9 KB ID:	127008
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	659T30.jpg Views:	3 Size:	382.9 KB ID:	127009
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	659T9.jpg Views:	3 Size:	444.9 KB ID:	127010
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	659T25.jpg Views:	3 Size:	383.1 KB ID:	127015
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by JHapprich; 07-31-2018, 05:57 AM.

Comment

• HardRock
                        Vice Admiral
                        • Mar 2013

What is there to write. Look at that thing. I might never build another actual model, I'll just call this up and sit in amazement at the detail.

Comment

• Peter W
                          Captain
                          • May 2011

I think what Scott is trying to say is .....Holy Crap !

Peter

Comment

• JHapprich
                            Captain
                            • Oct 2017

Thanks. I made two other models of comparable quality, pr.651 Juliet and pr.945 Sierra. I also made many other types but with less detail. I have 2 unfinished hq models, whiskey-class and yankee-class. Maybe useful for designing bulkheads and line drawings

Comment

• JHapprich
                              Captain
                              • Oct 2017

Originally posted by HardRock
                              What is there to write. Look at that thing. I might never build another actual model, I'll just call this up and sit in amazement at the detail.
                              Actually thats what i think when i read building threads such as your ALBACORE or Davids PAPA. not to mention all the stuff from the one that stole his nickname from that book series i was just too old to read when it started. ... now that is tricky,right?

Comment

• Tirfing
                                Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                                • Jan 2017

Hello. Really bautiful work. Do you intend to 3D-print it? Maybe you have done that also?

Comment

Working...