X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RCSubGuy
    Welcome to my underwater realm!
    • Aug 2009

The Drydocks Crowd-sourced Sub Project Proposal

Referencing the recent thread on HardRock and His Majesty's collaboration to bring a Phase III Albacore to fruition, I got to thinking (which is never a good thing). This type of collaboration is really exciting to see, and it makes me wonder at what other opportunities there are for other kits if we break up the work into manageable bites between the membership here.

Based on time and talent, the construction of an entire model could be divided up between two or more people, resulting in a faster build with potentially higher quality than any one person could achieve on their own.

It would make for a really interesting test-project to pick a new boat (based on a poll, perhaps, for the subject), divide up the work, and then bring it all together for final assembly. People could volunteer for each work class based on time and talent. Some could have gigabytes of reference material to contribute. Some might be able to knock out a master pattern in days. Others could have mad CAD skills for 3D drafting master patterns. Yet another could have Photoshop wrapped up for the creation of artwork, hull markings, etc.

Work chunks could look like this:

-preliminary research (blueprints, reference photos, etc)
    -hull master
    -sail and control surface masters
    -scribing
    -decals/artwork

We could use http://www.nautilusdrydocks.com as the marketing platform and split margin between the contributing parties according to their time committed to the project.

If this is something that is interesting to the membership, we could start with suggestions from the group as to a subject and scale, then move on to a poll to select the final project from the list of suggestions.

Any thoughts from anyone else here?

Bob
  • HardRock
    Vice Admiral
    • Mar 2013

Echo II in 1/96 scale please.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

1/72 FOXTROT.

David
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• RCSubGuy
        • Aug 2009

What about the NR-1?

Comment

• Peter W
          Captain
          • May 2011

He has now finished it !

Peter

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by SubHuman
            What about the NR-1?

THAT Bottom Feeder?! What an ugly submarine. And at 1/96 scale, almost too small! A candidate for the 1.25" SD I guess. Doable. But, why??

I
            had a shot at being crew on that thing as only submarine qualified Divers filled those billets -- but you had to be a nuke. Not me, I was a weapons type. Damn!

That said, I guess I could be the document guy for any model building project centering on this sneaky-poo. I collected a lot of source material as I built this display piece for Babcock & Wilcox, back in the day:

David
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
              Admiral
              • Jul 2011

Both the Foxtrot and NR-1 would be a good choice. If it is the NR-1, it would have to be a bigger scale than 1/96. More like 1/48 scale making it about 36" and a beam of just over 3".
              a Foxtrot in 1/72 scale would be great!
              just throwing my $.02 in.
              If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Peter W
                Captain
                • May 2011

My mate's Nr1 was sized so that he could use a 4" acrylic pipe. It is a good size at about 4' but isn't a recognised scale as such about 1:37 ish. He has given me the moulds for the bow and stern which are the only fibre glass parts the rest is plasticard. Has to be seen to be believed !

Peter
                Last edited by Peter W; 07-15-2018, 05:38 PM. Reason: I am an idiot

Comment

• HardRock
                  Vice Admiral
                  • Mar 2013

Is that a rotary mould?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by HardRock
                    Is that a rotary mould?

You betcha. In the days before pressure pots. Bro-engineering at its finest!

David
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• type7
                      Lieutenant Commander
                      • Apr 2009

Why can't someone actually produce a SSN-571 Nautilus for the masses? I't prefer 1/72 scale but would take 1/96 if I had to.

Comment

• type7
                        Lieutenant Commander
                        • Apr 2009

Oh, how about revisiting a Holland, or maybe an S boat, or a WW1 uboat? Guess I have enough Russian boats that I'm losing interest in them. Besides they turn for crap. I can only sail them at Carmel.

Comment

• HardRock
                          Vice Admiral
                          • Mar 2013

THAT Bottom Feeder?! What an ugly submarine. And at 1/96 scale, almost too small! A candidate for the 1.25" SD I guess. Doable. But, why??

I really like that boat. And I like it in 1/96 scale because I just happen to have a spare 1/25" SD on the shelf!!!! Don't happen to have any of those old rotary castings I guess? Just askin'

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by HardRock

I really like that boat. And I like it in 1/96 scale because I just happen to have a spare 1/25" SD on the shelf!!!! Don't happen to have any of those old rotary castings I guess? Just askin'
                            Naw, sorry. That crummy Dow Corning RTV molding rubber has a very short shelf/library life. Dumped that tooling decades ago. And the masters were lost to the flood.

David
                            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                              • Aug 2009

I'd be all over a Holland boat!

OR... we could all get together and try to knock out the X Craft that I have the master hull patterns for. Might be a good start to see how the process goes as the hull is done. It would need all the detail parts documented, drafted, and mastered, as well as hull scribing. It's really basic right now, but if we invested in rubber molds, we could do weld lines, rivets, etc, too.

Good thing about that is that it's a very different boat with no current market offerings (as the Holland would be) and it seems to have a strong opportunity, particularly with our UK modeling friends across the pond....

Comment

Working...