Little Something I've been working on...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TechnoD11
    Ensign
    • Mar 2018

Hey all, about time I posted an update (been busy moving back on to campus, so sorry for the delay!)
    The Mini sub is nearing completion:

All of the wiring is done, the software tested, and the parts fabricated. Just midway through final assembly. You can see the FPV video transmitter which has been thermal epoxied to the wall of the square aluminum tube - these things produce a lot of heat so the aluminum is needed to conduct it away (and sink it into the surrounding water).
    Here's the radio electronics going into the mini sub (minus the battery) - it's an arduino Nano, 3.3V dedicated voltage regulator, and an SPI radio with 100mW power:

...And here's the sub and the control system sitting in 'drydock' - which is what the dining room table used to be!

The software is all working very well. Hoping to put this sucker in the water for real mid September, classes permitting.

Comment

• RCSubGuy
      Welcome to my underwater realm!
      • Aug 2009

I love the fact that you had an idea and forged it into reality. Too many people have big ideas and give up on them

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by SubHuman
        I love the fact that you had an idea and forged it into reality. Too many people have big ideas and give up on them
        I second Bob's sentiment. You, sir, are a plodder, in the best sense.

What a rare treat it is these days to find someone who FINISHES what he starts! Welcome aboard.

David
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• TechnoD11
          Ensign
          • Mar 2018

Thanks all for the kind words again! Just finished putting together the mini sub, still on track for mid September. There will be pictures and video soon!

Comment

• trout
            Admiral
            • Jul 2011

excellent! Look forward to seeing it run!
            If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• TechnoD11
              Ensign
              • Mar 2018

Hey all, just thought I would post an update. Everything is ready to go for testing, but due to some time constraints I won't be able to get it into the water until early November (I have to fly on a business trip, so no water access anytime soon). Least now I have something to look forward to when I get back!

Comment

Working...