X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 598602G
    Captain
    • Jan 2017

New 1/72 Golf II kit

Tim Cobb here. For you guys that don't know me I am the guy that made the molds/kits for the 1/72 Alfa, 1/72 Charlie I and the 1/96 Delta III. My latest kit coming out is a 1/72 Golf II. 54 1/2" long with a 4 1/2" beam. Already have the sail molds done and all the appendage/mast molds done. Hull plug is drying today and going to put last primer paint on it. Shown is all the resin parts that will come with kit and pic of what the mast will look like. Should have the hull plug ready to mold by next weekend.
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

An honor, sir. Love your work. A GULF! In 1/72! I'm on board. How may I be of assistance?

David
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• sam reichart
      Ensign
      • Dec 2016

I always thought these boats would make a cool model. Can't wait to see the final product. Looks awesome so far.

Comment

• 598602G
        Captain
        • Jan 2017

Thanks guys. I have to keep coming up with more bizarre and unusual boats to make as I sold the Alfa, Charlie I and Delta III molds to Don Spielberger. Undecided on which Russian boat to build next. 1/72 Echo II or a 1/72 November.

Comment

• Aug 2008

November!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And from that you get the other two of the HEN's.

David
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• 598602G
            Captain
            • Jan 2017

I am a ex submariner so I know about the HEN's. Thought about doing a Hotel II. Bob Eissler keeps wanting me to make the boat I was on. A 598 SSBN. So many boats but so little time for this ex ping jockey. Hey Bob don't forget to hold onto that last Alfa kit I sold you. The Golf II would look good next to the Delta III on your mantle if it will fit.

Comment

• trout
              Admiral
              • Jul 2011

The Golf II is an ugly looking sub. One that would look great by the pond side. For some reason, the uglier the more attractive it is and unique. Rivets, weld lines, and a cool design all are on my what makes it beautiful. The Gulf II does not have rivets, but a cool design. This is a great subject and you are doing a fantastic job on it.
              Last edited by trout; 01-29-2017, 10:18 PM.
              If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• 598602G
                Captain
                • Jan 2017

That's why I built it. Unique for sure. The boat is so cluttered with junk. Eye candy. Part diesel boat part missile boat. When it is running on the surface it just looks like it wants to start WWIII. The reason I built the Charlie I it looks like it wants to pick a fight sitting at the dock.

Comment

• Davidh
                  Captain
                  • Nov 2010

Nice work Tim,

for what it's worth I think the November would be a great boat to do. It has such a 2 part look. Above the waterline it looks like a 1950s version of an Alfa with what looks like a teardrop hull, then underneath it's got an old style WW2 hull.

so distinctive. I have sometimes toyed with the idea, but I'm lining up for one of Scott's Romeos..

david H

Comment

• schaffer hasse
                    Ensign
                    • May 2013

Comment

• SSN SonarTech
                      Lieutenant Commander
                      • Jul 2012

Looks really nice
                      US Submarine Force: Making the Navy worthwhile since 1900

Comment

• 598602G
                        Captain
                        • Jan 2017

I was a sonar tech on the USS Abraham Lincoln SSBN 602(G). Pics of the first sail out of the molds and pi of the molds. The way I make my glass parts is I mix up West System epoxy and 206 hardener with milled fiberglass powder. Make a surface coat and put a coat of that in the mold. Then when it is dry I start laying glass. When the part comes out it picks up all the detail in the mold and part is armor plated. I make my own surface coat using West and 206 mixed with 50% milled fiberglass powder and 50% 225 mesh aluminum powder. That mix picks up all the fine detail on the plugs and when your mold is done I guarantee your molds will not chip or crack one bit. They will be armor plated also. For all you ex fast boat guys I am building a mystery 1/72 US fast boat molds along with the Golf.

Comment

• 598602G
                          Captain
                          • Jan 2017

Pics of the hull and resin parts placed on hull. This week and scribe detail in the hull and get it ready to mold.

Comment

• 598602G
                            Captain
                            • Jan 2017

Dave you still have the molds to make the 1/72 Snoop Tray mast for the infamous 1/72 Foxtrot? The Golf uses the Snoop Tray mast and I haven't had time to mold it plus your mast looks so good.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by 598602G
                              Dave you still have the molds to make the 1/72 Snoop Tray mast for the infamous 1/72 Foxtrot? The Golf uses the Snoop Tray mast and I haven't had time to mold it plus your mast looks so good.
                              You're in luck, just about the only tool and production castings I did for the aborted FOXTROT project were the metal and resin detail parts:

More pretty pictures from the FOXTROT album:

Send me your mailing address and I'll fix you up.

David
                              Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...