Name:	IMG_1018.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	118377 This is the deck vent plan.
    Attached Files

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

A wonderfully well executed project! Nice.

David
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• HardRock
        Vice Admiral
        • Mar 2013

Thank you Your Worship. I'm trying. Having a bit of trouble with the prop shaft exiting the rear stab before it hits the hull. Is there any chance that the shafts are angled inwards? Can't tell from the drawing that I have.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1017.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	454.3 KB
ID:	118400

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by HardRock
          Thank you Your Worship. I'm trying. Having a bit of trouble with the prop shaft exiting the rear stab before it hits the hull. Is there any chance that the shafts are angled inwards? Can't tell from the drawing that I have.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1017.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	454.3 KB
ID:	118400
          My drawings of the ROMEO (excellent dry-dock type) are buried in the storage box in the driveway and I can't get at them right now. I built 10 for a contractor years ago. If I remember, the shafts were near or were parallel to the boats centerline. Those models were of boats built by the Chinese, were being upgraded by Librascope and other outfits, and were to go to the Egyptians'. Each model was a 'gift' presented to the CO of each boat.

David
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• HardRock
            Vice Admiral
            • Mar 2013

I have a set of drawings that Gantu sent to me. Very detailed drawings and complete with a full set of sections. I'm pretty sure that the hull curvature is correct because there is a template rigth at the middle of the rear planes and another at about the point that the sharfts enter the hull. I might have just not got the shape of the rear planes right. I'll go back to the drawing and check that before I do anythimng else.

Comment

• HardRock
              Vice Admiral
              • Mar 2013

This is the fix for the shaft exit problem. I extended the prop shaft outer tube a bit and made a gland to cover the hull penetration. Also moved the prop housing inboard a few mils to bring the prop shafts closer to centre line. The rear planes are fixed with stainless steel pins.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1019.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	118407

Name:	IMG_1023.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	118408

Comment

• Davidh
                Captain
                • Nov 2010

Name:	image_33754.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	118416Click image for larger version  Name:	image_33759.jpg Views:	1 Size:	7.5 KB ID:	118415
                Click image for larger version  Name:	image_33758.jpg Views:	1 Size:	11.8 KB ID:	118414
                Click image for larger version  Name:	image_33756.jpg Views:	1 Size:	9.4 KB ID:	118412
                Click image for larger version  Name:	image_33754.jpg Views:	1 Size:	15.6 KB ID:	118410
                Click image for larger version  Name:	image_33757.jpg Views:	1 Size:	14.3 KB ID:	118413
                This Boats a cracker...

I swung by Scott's this afternoon to pick up Resolution after the 'Antipodean weathering Meister' had had his way with her. She now looks like she's been in the Atlantic. Romeo is looking superb, symmetrical neat and just a nice boat. Can't wait to see her in the water. Took Dolgoruki down again to get some comparison shots.

David H
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Davidh; 12-28-2016, 03:24 AM.

Comment

• HardRock
                  Vice Admiral
                  • Mar 2013

Making the emergency beacons.

Name:	IMG_1025.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	118429

The busioness end!

Name:	IMG_1031.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	118430

Comment

• HardRock
                    Vice Admiral
                    • Mar 2013

Time to lay out some vent locations and such....and so its time to break out the old 4 x 3 rotisserie and the KLUNK-O-METER!

Name:	IMG_1034.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	118443 The end plate on this thing is perspex so I can see that its all streight - or, more to the point, so that I can see that it isn't streight and then fix it!

Name:	IMG_1035.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	118444
                    And this amazing device is the klunk-o-meter. Fully adjustable and with a mind of its own, it sometimes allows me to draw a streight line on a curved boat. So far it looks like everything is square, symetrical and generally in the right place. Thank goodness for Gantu's accurate plans and cross sections. What a difference it makes to have that resource at hand.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Aug 2008

Time to lay out some vent locations and such....and so its time to break out the old 4 x 3 rotisserie and the KLUNK-O-METER!

Name:	IMG_1034.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	118443 The end plate on this thing is perspex so I can see that its all streight - or, more to the point, so that I can see that it isn't streight and then fix it!

Name:	IMG_1035.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	118444
                      And this amazing device is the klunk-o-meter. Fully adjustable and with a mind of its own, it sometimes allows me to draw a streight line on a curved boat. So far it looks like everything is square, symetrical and generally in the right place. Thank goodness for Gantu's accurate plans and cross sections. What a difference it makes to have that resource at hand.
                      And it looks like your klunk-o-meter features a pen that 'floats' in and out ("the 'ole in and out") so you can rotate the hull and lay down radial lines as well. Smart! I'll steal that idea for sure on a future project. Good stuff!

David
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• HardRock
                        Vice Admiral
                        • Mar 2013

Yep. The pen is a smooth fit. The two holes that it goes through are slightly misaligned so that a light pinch occurs. Squeeze the arms together and the pen floats free; let go and it stays in place. By the way, its called a klunk-o-meter because it goes "klunk" if you throw it from one side of the workshop to the other when its not behaving itself. I also have a boing-o-meter, slap-o-meter, bounce-o-meter and a plop-o-meter around here somewhere.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Yep. The pen is a smooth fit. The two holes that it goes through are slightly misaligned so that a light pinch occurs. Squeeze the arms together and the pen floats free; let go and it stays in place. By the way, its called a klunk-o-meter because it goes "klunk" if you throw it from one side of the workshop to the other when its not behaving itself. I also have a boing-o-meter, slap-o-meter, bounce-o-meter and a plop-o-meter around here somewhere.
                          LOL. You know ... if we ever hooked up we would never find the time to do any actual work.

David
                          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• HardRock
                            Vice Admiral
                            • Mar 2013

The offer is always there. Although you'd probably talk yourself to death with me ex-Navy farm manager before I could get a word in edgewise. "Old Fish Heads never die - they simply smell that way."

Comment

• HardRock
                              Vice Admiral
                              • Mar 2013

Today's effort. A few lines and locations marked. Its too bloody hot in the shed today to do much more.

Name:	IMG_3397.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	118450

Comment

• HardRock
                                Vice Admiral
                                • Mar 2013

Name:	IMG_1037.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	14.2 KB
ID:	118621 The last week has been spent learing some of the joys of photoetching - a dark and mysterious thing, practiced by the photoetchesti, or as we call them, "those with talents greater than ours". This is seriously frustrating stuff; however, after many failures I have produced a photoetched deck and some vent holes. Hurrah!

Name:	IMG_1038.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	118620

Also managed to fit the rear torpedo tube openings.

Name:	IMG_1040.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	118622

The tube sticking out the back is a temporaty thing that allows me to mount the boat on a turntable and scribe accurate lines etc. Its gets cut out at the last safe moment before moulding. Photoetched deck in place atop (that's one of HWSNBN's words - I just love it) the upper arse end (that's one of my words!).
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...