Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and expectations

Hello, and welcome to the forums at the Nautilus Drydocks, formerly Sub-driver.com!

We welcome anyone with a passion for submarines and a desire to learn and share knowledge about this fascinating hobby. Use of these forums indicates your intention to abide by our code of conduct:


1. No spam. All automated messages, advertisements, and links to competitor websites will be deleted immediately.

2. Please post in relevant sub-forums only. Messages posted in the wrong topic area will be removed and placed in the correct sub-forum by moderators.

3. Respect other users. No flaming or abusing fellow forum members. Users who continue to post inflammatory, abusive comments will be deleted from the forum after or without a warning.

4. No threats or harassment of other users will be tolerated. Any instance of threatening or harassing behavior is grounds for deletion from the forums.

5. No profanity or pornography is allowed. Posts containing adult material will be deleted.

6. No re-posting of copyrighted materials or other illegal content is allowed. Any posts containing illegal content or copyrighted materials will be deleted.
See more
See less

1/96 Romeo - Wherefor art thou?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1017.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	454.1 KB
ID:	118378Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1018.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	118377 This is the deck vent plan.
    Attached Files

    Comment


    • #32
      A wonderfully well executed project! Nice.

      David
      "... well, that takes care of Jorgenson's theory!"

      Comment


      • #33
        Thank you Your Worship. I'm trying. Having a bit of trouble with the prop shaft exiting the rear stab before it hits the hull. Is there any chance that the shafts are angled inwards? Can't tell from the drawing that I have.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1017.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	454.3 KB
ID:	118400

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by HardRock View Post
          Thank you Your Worship. I'm trying. Having a bit of trouble with the prop shaft exiting the rear stab before it hits the hull. Is there any chance that the shafts are angled inwards? Can't tell from the drawing that I have.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1017.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	454.3 KB
ID:	118400
          My drawings of the ROMEO (excellent dry-dock type) are buried in the storage box in the driveway and I can't get at them right now. I built 10 for a contractor years ago. If I remember, the shafts were near or were parallel to the boats centerline. Those models were of boats built by the Chinese, were being upgraded by Librascope and other outfits, and were to go to the Egyptians'. Each model was a 'gift' presented to the CO of each boat.

          David
          "... well, that takes care of Jorgenson's theory!"

          Comment


          • #35
            I have a set of drawings that Gantu sent to me. Very detailed drawings and complete with a full set of sections. I'm pretty sure that the hull curvature is correct because there is a template rigth at the middle of the rear planes and another at about the point that the sharfts enter the hull. I might have just not got the shape of the rear planes right. I'll go back to the drawing and check that before I do anythimng else.

            Comment


            • #36
              This is the fix for the shaft exit problem. I extended the prop shaft outer tube a bit and made a gland to cover the hull penetration. Also moved the prop housing inboard a few mils to bring the prop shafts closer to centre line. The rear planes are fixed with stainless steel pins.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1019.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	118407


              Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1023.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	118408

              Comment


              • #37
                Click image for larger version

Name:	image_33754.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	118416Click image for larger version  Name:	image_33759.jpg Views:	1 Size:	7.5 KB ID:	118415
                Click image for larger version  Name:	image_33758.jpg Views:	1 Size:	11.8 KB ID:	118414
                Click image for larger version  Name:	image_33756.jpg Views:	1 Size:	9.4 KB ID:	118412
                Click image for larger version  Name:	image_33754.jpg Views:	1 Size:	15.6 KB ID:	118410
                Click image for larger version  Name:	image_33757.jpg Views:	1 Size:	14.3 KB ID:	118413
                This Boats a cracker...

                I swung by Scott's this afternoon to pick up Resolution after the 'Antipodean weathering Meister' had had his way with her. She now looks like she's been in the Atlantic. Romeo is looking superb, symmetrical neat and just a nice boat. Can't wait to see her in the water. Took Dolgoruki down again to get some comparison shots.

                David H
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Davidh; 12-28-2016, 03:24 AM.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Making the emergency beacons.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1025.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	118429

                  The busioness end!
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1031.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	118430

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Time to lay out some vent locations and such....and so its time to break out the old 4 x 3 rotisserie and the KLUNK-O-METER!
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1034.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	118443 The end plate on this thing is perspex so I can see that its all streight - or, more to the point, so that I can see that it isn't streight and then fix it!

                    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1035.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	118444
                    And this amazing device is the klunk-o-meter. Fully adjustable and with a mind of its own, it sometimes allows me to draw a streight line on a curved boat. So far it looks like everything is square, symetrical and generally in the right place. Thank goodness for Gantu's accurate plans and cross sections. What a difference it makes to have that resource at hand.
                    Attached Files

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by HardRock View Post
                      Time to lay out some vent locations and such....and so its time to break out the old 4 x 3 rotisserie and the KLUNK-O-METER!
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1034.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	118443 The end plate on this thing is perspex so I can see that its all streight - or, more to the point, so that I can see that it isn't streight and then fix it!

                      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1035.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	118444
                      And this amazing device is the klunk-o-meter. Fully adjustable and with a mind of its own, it sometimes allows me to draw a streight line on a curved boat. So far it looks like everything is square, symetrical and generally in the right place. Thank goodness for Gantu's accurate plans and cross sections. What a difference it makes to have that resource at hand.
                      And it looks like your klunk-o-meter features a pen that 'floats' in and out ("the 'ole in and out") so you can rotate the hull and lay down radial lines as well. Smart! I'll steal that idea for sure on a future project. Good stuff!

                      David
                      "... well, that takes care of Jorgenson's theory!"

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Yep. The pen is a smooth fit. The two holes that it goes through are slightly misaligned so that a light pinch occurs. Squeeze the arms together and the pen floats free; let go and it stays in place. By the way, its called a klunk-o-meter because it goes "klunk" if you throw it from one side of the workshop to the other when its not behaving itself. I also have a boing-o-meter, slap-o-meter, bounce-o-meter and a plop-o-meter around here somewhere.

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by HardRock View Post
                          Yep. The pen is a smooth fit. The two holes that it goes through are slightly misaligned so that a light pinch occurs. Squeeze the arms together and the pen floats free; let go and it stays in place. By the way, its called a klunk-o-meter because it goes "klunk" if you throw it from one side of the workshop to the other when its not behaving itself. I also have a boing-o-meter, slap-o-meter, bounce-o-meter and a plop-o-meter around here somewhere.
                          LOL. You know ... if we ever hooked up we would never find the time to do any actual work.

                          David
                          "... well, that takes care of Jorgenson's theory!"

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            The offer is always there. Although you'd probably talk yourself to death with me ex-Navy farm manager before I could get a word in edgewise. "Old Fish Heads never die - they simply smell that way."

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Today's effort. A few lines and locations marked. Its too bloody hot in the shed today to do much more.

                              Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3397.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	118450

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1037.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	14.2 KB
ID:	118621 The last week has been spent learing some of the joys of photoetching - a dark and mysterious thing, practiced by the photoetchesti, or as we call them, "those with talents greater than ours". This is seriously frustrating stuff; however, after many failures I have produced a photoetched deck and some vent holes. Hurrah!


                                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1038.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	118620

                                Also managed to fit the rear torpedo tube openings.
                                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1040.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	118622

                                The tube sticking out the back is a temporaty thing that allows me to mount the boat on a turntable and scribe accurate lines etc. Its gets cut out at the last safe moment before moulding. Photoetched deck in place atop (that's one of HWSNBN's words - I just love it) the upper arse end (that's one of my words!).
                                Attached Files

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X