USS SHARK SSN-591: Refit Log 2016-08-23 (1:48 BeBoer Skipjack)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trout
    Admiral
    • Jul 2011

That is a perfect use for carbon fiber tube. I have a friend, yes I have one, he made his hull out of carbon fiber. He said it was incredibly strong (which was what he was after because of some of the surface targets that run there). What he found out was radio signals did not get in or out. So he made another top hull out of fiberglass. Your induction might offer a little bit of protection from boats.
    Peace,
    tom

If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• greenman407
      Admiral
      • Feb 2009

Looking at the Deboer webpage for info, I find that the dimensions for your Shark are the same as my 1/96 Oscar....63" long and 8" beam. Substantial!
      IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• QuarterMaster
        Rear Admiral
        • Sep 2015

Originally posted by trout
        That is a perfect use for carbon fiber tube. I have a friend, yes I have one, he made his hull out of carbon fiber. He said it was incredibly strong (which was what he was after because of some of the surface targets that run there). What he found out was radio signals did not get in or out. So he made another top hull out of fiberglass. Your induction might offer a little bit of protection from boats.
        Peace,
        tom
        Years ago ( I won't say how many) before computers were cheap enough for the average company, I was just starting out in my career as a Jr. ElectroMechanical Drafter. Of course we used drafting tables and pencils. Along with that we used the Alvin rotary pencil sharpener to sharpen our 2 or 3mm Mechanical Drafting pencils. That provided us with an interesting byproduct.
        Graphite dust!
        Great for lubricating skateboard or skate wheels. It's also electrically conductive as I would sprinkle it on the Prototype Test PCB of any EE who incurred my wrath. Done correctly it would short connections on the PCB while being difficult to see. They would pull their hair out troubleshooting the board much to my merriment! Ain't I a stinker!

FWIW, now that I'm a Sr. PCB Design Engineer I avoid that because old "Sparky" (EE) will blame it on poor board design (me) as opposed to his incompetence on the dozen or so respins of the same design.

Where was I?? Oh yeah...

That being said, I could see it blocking radio signals like a Faraday Cage. So If I do elect to go with that one carbon fiber "faux mast" for my 2.4Ghz antenna, I'll need to insure the 1-1/4 exposed center conductor is above the Carbon Fiber mast, aka treat it like metal tubing in Dave's write up of 2.4Ghz conversion/use.

I've see scopes that extend and retract, using floats, hydraulics, even worm screw methods, but were usually metal tube in tube, they seemed to suffer from corrosion over time tending to jam up. The carbon fiber mast should prevent any corrosion to it's inner brass guide/extension tube. The whole assembly is one module that can easily be removed for service and cleaning. The "Groton Granite", the name for the silt kicked up at the Sub Bases' North Lake, loves to jam itself into mechanisms like these. Owners with boats using Gear pumps to blow/vent ballast tanks always seemed to complain when running there.

I often would still be cleaning out of nooks and crannies the next spring lol!

Last night it occurred to me that if I have any appreciable way on the mast may not raise fully at first as I dive due to to the horizontal pressure against it. So after I'm fully submerge I may need to come to dead slow, or even a hover to allow it to come to full height. Again no biggie. We'll see.
        v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
        NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
        USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• QuarterMaster
          Rear Admiral
          • Sep 2015

Originally posted by greenman407
          Looking at the Deboer webpage for info, I find that the dimensions for your Shark are the same as my 1/96 Oscar....63" long and 8" beam. Substantial!
          Nothing like a big boat cutting through the waves!

Not sure about your OSCAR, but the SHARK hauls ass. Like I posted earlier, so fast I wasn't able to control it. Though difficult to tell, I'm sure I was surpassing two boat lengths a second before I lost control just before half throttle. Now with the better stern planes and double battery capacity (two 12V 7.5AH SLA) which was added more to increase mass rather than run time, which will hopefully (because of that added weight) increase dynamic stability. We'll see.

If I can hold it at WOT I plan to do some speed runs and get a more accurate speed at FLANK..
          v/r "Sub" Ed

USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• greenman407
            Admiral
            • Feb 2009

Enjoying your build here very much. Perhaps I am preaching to the Choir,, but there are other causes for porpoising of your submarine. In my 1/60 Albacore, I moved the front to rear balance point 1" further to the rear to eliminate major porpoising and give me much greater speed. Also the APC may not be set for the correct sensitivity. Im sure youll get it worked out.
            Last edited by greenman407; 09-01-2016, 08:30 PM.

Comment

• QuarterMaster
              Rear Admiral
              • Sep 2015

Enjoying your build here very much. Perhaps I am preaching to the Choir,, but there are other causes for porpoising of your submarine. In my 1/60 Albacore, I moved the front to rear balance point 1" further to the rear to eliminate major porpoising and give me much greater speed. Also the APC may not be set for the correct sensitivity. Im sure youll get it worked out.
              Understood. I need to eliminate this first. The planes had sooo much play that taking this out of the equation was priority one. This weekend's shakedown cruise will allow me to see if the factors you point out are contributing as well.
              To start off, I set the ENGEL SPC2 to "medium" sensitivity, and we'll go from there.
              v/r "Sub" Ed

Comment

• QuarterMaster
                Rear Admiral
                • Sep 2015

Stores load completed. Reactor being fueled, readying to get "hot". Crew is mustering. After a 5 month yard period, the ship is ready for final trim, sea trials and Patrol of the Groton Submarine Bases' very own North Lake this coming weekend. All Skimmer puke targets consider ROE as "Weapons Free". SHARK will churn-n-burn!

Many thanks to the Admiral/Dept of WAR for tolerance during this period.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-08-26 21.09.45.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	115914

Name:	2016-09-07 00.04.03.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	115915

Name:	2016-09-07 00.04.31.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	129.2 KB
ID:	115916
                v/r "Sub" Ed

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                  • Aug 2008

I love that annular ballast tank. Might steal that idea from you.

M
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• QuarterMaster
                    Rear Admiral
                    • Sep 2015

I WANT you too! Run with it! You could cast annular end rings in your sleep, even allowing it to adjust for and aft as needed over a WTC.
                    v/r "Sub" Ed

Comment

• QuarterMaster
                      Rear Admiral
                      • Sep 2015

Launch, trim, and test.

The rubber hits the road...or the boat hits the water!

Refit Log 2016-09-10

Another in the "Not so reality TV" Series brought to you by.....
                      INDIVIDUAL ANEMICS
                      Electric Model Boat Division
                      ...a "sub" Division of MRCSB (where the rent is TOO DAMN HIGH!!)
                      v/r "Sub" Ed

Comment

• greenman407
                        Admiral
                        • Feb 2009

Excellent Video and run. Must be all your advanced preperation that kept problems few at the Regatta. Just keep your eye on that small brushless motors temperature. It may produce good power but it can also overheat in a hurry. Just sayin.

Comment

• QuarterMaster
                          Rear Admiral
                          • Sep 2015

Excellent Video and run. Must be all your advanced preperation that kept problems few at the Regatta. Just keep your eye on that small brushless motors temperature. It may produce good power but it can also overheat in a hurry. Just sayin.
                          Rgr that, hence the water cooling brass mount seen in the first video. It's a passive system. The motion of the boat through the water naturally draws water through it. The faster the boat moves, the faster coolant flows through the motor mounting block. The ESC is cooled as well.

Name:	SHARK_Cooling_0.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	238.9 KB
ID:	116068

Name:	SHARK_cooling_1.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	255.7 KB
ID:	116069

Name:	SHARK_Cooling_2.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	288.1 KB
ID:	116070

v/r "Sub" Ed

Comment

Working...