X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Davidh
    Captain
    • Nov 2010

Hello all,

I took the Mike to school today. I have been making the odd attempt at trying to snare the next generation of model makers and give them some inspiration.

I told year eight after doing aeronautics in our mandatory technology class for the last 10 weeks that I would show them what else I build in my spare time. Took my mike class and put it into the room before class and had some year 10's follow me in asking questions. It was a good show and tell for about 10 minutes before the start of their classes. Most were amazed that you could make a sub RC and the inevitable question about camera's also came up. I don't know if anyone else has found this but I have never been asked 'what class of sub is it?'
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image2.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	114037 Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	114038
    So I showed year 8 and got some really good response. Tried to explain too them that there is more to Industrial Arts, Woodwork and metal work that just making pencil boxes and candlelabra.. I tried to impress upon them that you gotta love problem solving if you want to get into this caper and building them takes more than 5 minutes........

I was also told by a colleague that I should take the contract for the new subs and save the government some money. What I could do with 50 billion....

Dave H

Comment

• Slats
      Vice Admiral
      • Aug 2008

Nice one David... I agree mate, I despair at the world we have - a product of instantaneous gratification made all too easily through e-media technology. Parents should be the gatekeepers to kids activities, but how can they be when they themselves are so obsessed too with the same issues??. I refuse point blank in my house to have cabal TV, or any computer games. My kids pestering can be resisted and the substitutes I have given them technical lego, model construction, and fresh air activities is winning, but its a hell of a battle. Its harder for girls but I am impressed with my 11 year old daughters interest in model rail construction and interest in how things work. It just takes consistency and effort, and I am by no means perfect, but I acknowledge that my view is RARE!

Industrial arts "shop" teachers are treasures of the school system, and sadly the school system here in Australia simply doesn't get the value of it. If kids are given the ability to problem solve in areas of interest - the boundaries of what they can learn are endless. The applied application of problem solving in the workshop is directly transferable to many different vocations that have nothing to do with the labours of craftsmanship. The "shop" teaches applied math, expression, communication, and above all develops creative strategic thinking.

Jame's who's 8 helped layout the internals of my 3" subdriver last weekend. He spent three hours in the shop with me learning and experimenting with how it works. He wants his own model submarine and when David gets off his arse and finishes Albacore it will be so. At every stage in the shop he was getting lessons in math and spelling and deductive reasoning. The fact that this learning in his mind was "play time" is a bonus.

Back to your boat - better than anything I've done with subs, which is conversion and construction at best. You are a true builder - keep going you are improving all the time.

Best

John
      John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
      Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• Davidh
        Captain
        • Nov 2010

Name:	IMG_2558.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	115805 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2569.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	115806 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2626.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	115807 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2627.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	115808 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2668.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	115809 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2581.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	115810 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2642.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	115811 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2646.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	115812 Hello all,

I have spent the last couple of months getting the Bow of resolution just right and then re tooling it. I then started producing a couple of kits as there was a model show coming up that I thought I would attend as an exhibitor.

The 'Our town hobby show" happens in Newcastle every year around August. I have been going for several years now and found it mildly interesting but frustrated that it is mostly trains, trains, trains and maybe the odd boat , did i mention trains? they've never had someone do subs before. There is usually a disply by Task force 72 and then there is the Newcastle Maritime modellers who have a shallow pool that they run some boats in. So I planned to have my stall next to them to show of my collection and advertise the two kits that I have on offer, Resolution and Mike. My stand was pretty much next to the pool so I could even stand at my display and run my boat from there.

The show runs over a weekend so set up was on friday afternoon. Saturday morning got busy. I ran the resolution and Mike a couple of times , up and down the side of the shallow pool about 200mm deep. So rubbing on the bottom at periscope depth. The commentary on the side of the pool was constant." look daddy a submarine", check out the submarine! does that thing dive? Can you make it sink? I did'nt know model subs existed." Plenty of conversation and many business cards taken but no sales of the kits.

Sunday was similar, Running the Mike and getting run over by King George V. Running the Resolution and getting run over by King George V. It was alot of fun. I tried to get in front of KGV because it was so big and it's thrust was significant, I often found I got blown sideways by the turbulence from this big WW2 battleship. There were some really tiny tugs pushing the bigger boats around. I should have surfaced under one of them and given it a taxi ride somewhere.

It's been two weeks now and although several people said they were very interested in my kits no one has bought anything. Plenty of train stuff bought but in the last two weeks not so much as an email from anyone. The response has been somewhat Underwhelming.

This has been the first real run of Mike and I think she looks really nice in the water.
        Anyway..... Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2577.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	115813 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2573.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	115814 Enjoy the pics.

David H

Comment

• Davidh
          Captain
          • Nov 2010

Finally moved in to new house and has swimming pool. It's mid April and mid autumn but you wouldn't think so, still shorts weather
          Have taken the opportunity to trim and balance the Komsomolets and unleash her in the pool Here are some Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC54221.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	3.2 KB
ID:	121220 pics.... Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC54081.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	4.2 KB
ID:	121215Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC54191.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	4.9 KB
ID:	121216Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC54201.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	5.1 KB
ID:	121217Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC54071.jpg
ID:	121219

Name:	_DSC54071.jpg
Views:	102
ID:	121218Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC54211.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	3.8 KB
ID:	121221

Comment

• Davidh
            Captain
            • Nov 2010

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	123264Click image for larger version

Size:	12.1 KB
ID:	123263Click image for larger version

Views:	86
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	123262Click image for larger version

Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	123261Click image for larger version

Views:	95
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	123260Click image for larger version

Views:	85
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	123259 Newcastle 'Our town model show' last weekend.

Mike and Borei

Comment

• Peter W
              Captain
              • May 2011

They're beautiful models David. Shame it is so dark in there.

Peter

Comment

• trout
                Admiral
                • Jul 2011

David,
                Good for you, getting out there and promoting r/c submarines!
                i agree with Peter, beautiful models indeed.
                If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Davidh
                  Captain
                  • Nov 2010

Thankyou Lads,

This model exhibition is about 80% model trains ,with some plastic Cars and model boats thrown in.My display is next to a shallow pool. I had to negotiate with the club that run their boats in the
                  pool because last year I caused ' damage.' Even though they were running over me. Anyway smoothed it over this year and run the boats again. Lots of kids saying 'Daddy/mummy look, a submarine'.

Always good fun

David H

Comment

• Davidh
                    Captain
                    • Nov 2010

Hello All,

Photos from the 2017 Gosford sub regatta. She had an encounter with HMS repulse.

Enjoy.

David H

Name:	_DSC7051.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	123555Click image for larger version

Name:	mike res encounter.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	14.2 KB
ID:	123556Click image for larger version

Name:	mike in rough.jpg
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	123557Click image for larger version

Name:	mike in rough blue.jpg
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	123558

Comment

• Peter W
                      Captain
                      • May 2011

Jealous David, very jealous.

Peter

Comment

• Davidh
                        Captain
                        • Nov 2010

A Norwegian Scientific expedition have taken a submersible down to the Komsomolets to monitor radiation levels. They have posted this amazing film that shows some of the damage to the Submarine when it sank in April 1989. They have reported on the levels of radiation around the boat. I just wish they would show film of the entire boat from Bow to stern.

David Hughes

Comment

• JHapprich
                          Captain
                          • Oct 2017

Just : WOW!

Comment

Working...