Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by greenman407
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]4214[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]4213[/ATTACH] I am very concerned about these dry transfer decals. They look great but I am concerned that they are made to go on a flat surface. The large one goes on the bow below the torp tubes and is in an area of compound curves. I am afraid that it will wrinkle if you try to put it on. Also does the paint need to be flat or gloss when you apply them or does it matter?
    Mark,

You only get one chance with dry-transfers, so your worry is justified.

Start with the simple markings first: the markings on the sides of the sail. Cut each section of the mylar (to which the markings are adhered) out with scissors -- sections for the draft markings, hull numbers, crests, etc. On simple curves and flat areas, you attach a section of mylar and burnish the side of the mylar facing you to push the adhesive backed markings onto the model. Always burnishing from the center of the mylar, out. I use a ball-point pen so I know that every point on the surface of the mylar backing has been addressed.

The objective, of course, is to get the back-side of the marking (the side of the white marking facing the surface of the model) adhesive to present more stick onto the model than the mylar side of the marking. Once the burnishing is done, you then gently peel the mylar backing away, leaving the marking(s) on the model. If all the markings don't transfer you put the mylar back down, looking through it to the markings on the model to get proper registration and re-burnish the markings still sticking to the mylar.

Next, once your confidence level is up after doing the simple ****, move onto the more complicated transfer work, the ship's crest that goes across the leading edge of the sail. You can still use masking tape to hold the mylar down, one on each side of the cut-out mylar with the crest marking in the center of it -- the stiff mylar can negotiate pretty tight simple curve radii, so no big sweat here.

And, finally, the hard one: the crest at the compound curve of the bow. At the bow the mylar is too stiff to be taped down without wrinkling. So, you hold it at the center with a finger and very carefully burnish from the inside out, burnishing a bit all around symmetrically as you tilt the stiff mylar like a swash-plate off a central bearing. Go slow. Check your work by lifting the mylar off the work and checking for drift. You'll re-register the mylar and markings it still contains by looking through the semi-transparent mylar and matching the markings still on the mylar with the markings that went onto the model. Very tedious. Make the bow crest marking that last dry-transfer you put down -- it will demand of you the most care and practice.

Did the kit provide extra markings for mistakes/practice? Duh!

Here's a trick that will improve the adhesion between the markings and the model: Hit the mylar with a light heat from a hair-dryer -- somehow that improves the 'stick' of the markings, even after they cool back to room temperature.

Also, it don't matter worth a tinker's-damn if the surface is gloss or flat. Stop coming up with excuses and mark that thing already!

... You people!

David,
    Last edited by Outrider; 05-25-2010, 09:40 PM. Reason: s , ish , ' e o mylar
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• greenman407
      Admiral
      • Feb 2009

Ok Dave, That will be very useful when the time comes, as painting and detailing are down the road a bit. First I have to get it operational. Just trying to get all my ducks in a row. A million thanks
      IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
        • Aug 2008

Go get 'em, Tiger.

David,
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• greenman407
          Admiral
          • Feb 2009

Dave Meriman, several years ago, supplied me with a guide to ballasting and installing foam in a sub to acheive good balance and surface/submerged trim. So seeing that the foam was in the wrong place vertically to start with I pulled it all out, reinstalled it and set out again to trim it. I got it pretty close with further refinements to come. So I took it out Saturday morning to the pond and launched it. After about 15 mins. I noticed a few items that needed attention so I headed back to the dock. It was then that I saw the port propellor part company with the sub. Try as I might I cant locate it. Scaleships is talking about a late July del. date. I am in contact with Kevin McCleod to see if he can help me aquire a new set. In the mean time One prop will still provide enough propulsion to continue testing.Click image for larger version

Name:	4-26-10 boats, oscar 111.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	58804Click image for larger version

Name:	4-26-10 boats, oscar 114.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	58802Click image for larger version

Name:	4-26-10 boats, oscar 115.jpg
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	58801Click image for larger version

Name:	4-26-10 boats, oscar 112.jpg
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	58803
          Last edited by greenman407; 12-30-2011, 01:34 PM.

Comment

• greenman407
            Admiral
            • Feb 2009

Kevin is indeed sending me two of his props. Once they are cleaned up and drilled for set screws I will red loctite them on the shafts and blue loctite the set screws.Click image for larger version

Name:	11111.jpg
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	58815 I should be recieving them any day now.:biggrin:
            Last edited by greenman407; 12-30-2011, 01:35 PM.

Comment

• greenman407
              Admiral
              • Feb 2009

This is the final arrangement of foam in the upper hull. That along with 1 lb. 5 1/2 ounces of weight on the keel. This causes the sub with full ballast tank to float with the sail just out of the water.Click image for larger version

Name:	4-26-10 boats,oscar 002.jpg
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	58816Click image for larger version

Name:	4-26-10 boats,oscar 001.jpg
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	58817Click image for larger version

Name:	4-26-10 boats, oscar 114.jpg
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	58818
              Last edited by greenman407; 12-30-2011, 01:35 PM.

Comment

• greenman407
                Admiral
                • Feb 2009

I believe that the reason that I have good freeboard with this model is because of the instalation of the battery WTC, and the use of the LIPO battery. The two together are a great combination. The extra light weight of the LIPO battery is a bonus. If you install NIMH cells (10) in the battery WTC and put it in the water it will sink like a rock. But if you install a 3 cell LIPO in it it will float. That coupled with the large capacity of the ballast tank in the 3.5" Subdriver, weve got plenty of capacity.Click image for larger version

Name:	4-26-10 boats, oscar 108.jpg
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	58819
                Last edited by greenman407; 12-30-2011, 01:36 PM.

Comment

• Kazzer
                  • Aug 2008

Originally posted by greenman407
                  I believe that the reason that I have good freeboard with this model is because of the instalation of the battery WTC, and the use of the LIPO battery. The two together are a great combination. The extra light weight of the LIPO battery is a bonus. If you install NIMH cells (10) in the battery WTC and put it in the water it will sink like a rock. But if you install a 3 cell LIPO in it it will float. That coupled with the large capacity of the ballast tank in the 3.5" Subdriver, weve got plenty of capacity.[ATTACH=CONFIG]4286[/ATTACH]
                  I changed the batteries in my HMS Sibyl (S Class) from wet cells to Lipos in a separate WTC and suddenly, the boat was stable in the water for the first time. 2 x 3000 12v batteries also give me lots of running time. Just waiting on my SUb-driver from The Cave, it's having the motors changed up to 12v. We think that was the problem with burning out the Mtroniks ESC. The Wizard should shortly post his verdict on this.
                  Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• greenman407
                    Admiral
                    • Feb 2009

Click image for larger version

Name:	hose and hyds. 019.jpg
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	58823Click image for larger version

Name:	hose and hyds. 018.jpg
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	58822Click image for larger version

Name:	hose and hyds. 020.jpg
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	58821 I recieved these new props from Kevin Mcleod and am quite pleased. Kevins props are the silver ones and the brass looking ones are the original Scaleships supplied units. If you look at the side view you can see that the blades on Kevins props are longer and that looks like it will translate into more blade area, perhaps more thrust. We will see. Top shelf quality if you ask me!
                    Last edited by greenman407; 12-30-2011, 01:37 PM.

Comment

• greenman407
                      Admiral
                      • Feb 2009

Oh yes, I need to revise my timing on the Snort pump. Maybe the pump has broken in a little bit as I am now getting back to waterline trim in about 45 sec. Its so cool when it does that ,that I feel that I will be the envy of every sub captain out there! I just need to go somewhere where I can show off a little bit!
                      Last edited by greenman407; 07-07-2010, 12:32 PM.

Comment

• greenman407
                        Admiral
                        • Feb 2009

I got the new props mounted and ready to go. I had to cut the shafts a little shorter as the new props hub is shorter. Hopefully the red loctite and drilling a hole in the shaft to recess the set screw will be the end of the mystery of the missing propellor!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• greenman407
                          Admiral
                          • Feb 2009

Ok, Sunday she went into the water again. This time we started out with a test of the new props. Because of their white metal construction their best thrust was produced at mid throttle, after that the thrust went downhill as the RPM increased. Using them to good advantage I put her thru her paces. One word will sum it up...Beautiful. With the streamlined hull and older version ADF ,periscope depth was a piece of cake. Using a detented right and left stick, fine control of periscope depth was achieved. The left stick up and down controls the front planes and each click, click, of it makes modest but visual changes to the subs depth in the water. Very nice!!! It does however take an acre to turn around! I would estimate that the surface turning radius is 30 feet, thats 60 feet dia.!!! Too much. For one thing , on the surface the upper rudder is out of the water and is useless. I will probably(Agahst!) add a add on rudder extention to the lower rudders at some point. Its a good thing that I can use the props to slew it around when needed.With the Seaview you have the prop wash against the rudders to help and not just the force of the water coming from the boats motion to deflect you. I was just thinking about a forward rudder but dont get me started on stupid non scale stuff like that. A bow thruster is really not necessary when you can forward and reverse each of your props. Im going to be shooting some operational videos shortly to demonstrate its fine scale performance and also its Snort performance.

Comment

• greenman407
                            Admiral
                            • Feb 2009

Click image for larger version

Name:	Oscar & Blackjack 017.jpg
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	58914Click image for larger version

Name:	Oscar & Blackjack 016.jpg
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	58913Click image for larger version

Name:	Oscar & Blackjack 015.jpg
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	58912 Here are some of the picsClick image for larger version

Name:	Oscar & Blackjack 014.jpg
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	58911 taken on Sunday.Click image for larger version

Name:	Oscar & Blackjack 018.jpg
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	58915 If you will, you will notice the Oscar surrounded by weeds. It became a victim of driving too close to them and thinking that the visible weeds was all that was there. Invisible underwater weeds, like invisible underwater submarines, do pose a threat.
                            Last edited by greenman407; 12-30-2011, 01:26 PM.

Comment

• greenman407
                              Admiral
                              • Feb 2009

Next on the Agenda will be more seat time with it and making a indexer to properly align the upper hull where it joins the rear. It will also reshape it so it all matches.

Comment

• greenman407
                                Admiral
                                • Feb 2009

I went out Sunday to check turning radius and to get some videos of it on patrol in the alligator pond. Murphys law stepped in and the voyage was cut short.Click image for larger version

Name:	Oscar&blackjack&house 008.jpg
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	58941 The screws on the gearboxes came loose allowing the gears to disengage each other. They have an appointment with the tube of blue loctite. Then I lost some of my steering. All the control surfaces use a stainless steel shaft with a good friction fit. During the build I drilled some holes along the length of them and dripped in CA. but they keep coming loose. Now I will pull them apart and cut some grooves in the shafts and open up the control surfaces and use epoxy to stop this from rearing its ugly head up again. If that was not enough then this happened.Click image for larger version

Name:	Oscar&blackjack&house 007.jpg
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	58942 I lost the forward section of the stern plane. Very embarrasing!!! WELL IT WAS THERE WHEN I STARTED OUT! Vladamir wont be able to recieve my cry for help until the evening(timezones you know) so we will see what he has to say. That will put an end to my operational efforts for probably a couple of weeks so I can get to work on the Indexer, and that will be challenge enough!
                                Last edited by greenman407; 12-30-2011, 01:27 PM.

Comment

Working...