• Aug 2008

Go to bed!
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
      Admiral
      • Jul 2011

Yes sir. I will do that.
      If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• trout
        Admiral
        • Jul 2011

Let me get the shame photos out of the way.
        The finger print
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Shame_1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	64665
        Here is the shame photo of the melted rudder.

Name:	Shame_fix_0.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	64666
        Perhaps I should have just put the 1/8” collet on the original shank and been happy (I will probably will not put stern torpedoes in, but ya’ never know). I am learning and this is fun.
        I tried to use CA and baking powder to fix the melted shaft, but was not pleased with the results. So I stretched some sprues (Glad I saved some) and welded them into the holes with liquid cohesive.

Name:	Shame_fix_2.jpg
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	64668Click image for larger version

Name:	Shame_fix_1.jpg
ID:	64667
        I pulled a couple of different sizes to fit in. Soaked them real good with liquid glue to allow some gooey melted plastic to fill some gaps. Stuffed them in and mashed it to really get some plastic slush moving around. I set it aside to give it time to dry and move on to re-addressing the deck opening.

Name:	Shame_fix_3.jpg
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	64669
        Today I went ahead and chucked up the 1/16” drill bit in my drill and proceeded to manually bore out a new hole with short and slow steps. Eventually it went through, slightly off center, I am a happy man.
        The great news is it worked. I pushed the 1/16” through, connected all the parts, and tested out the range of motion. Looks good to me.

Name:	Rudder_2.jpg
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	64671Click image for larger version

Name:	Rudder_3.jpg
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	64672Click image for larger version

Name:	Rudder_1.jpg
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	64670
        The only issue I had was some rubbing of the rudder against the skag/propeller support. I threaded up the jewelers saw and ran the blade between the two about four times to get a clean, unobstructed swing.
        The next challenge is fitting the wtc into the hull. I made a paper template (Dave, is the wtc really 30” long!?!) to see how it would slide in, not much wiggle room.

Name:	wtc_how_1.jpg
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	64673
        If I did open the top and super structure just under the deck there would be a large section without cross support. The opening, as best as I could figure, would either be an opening between tape 1 and 3 or 2 and 4 depending if I wanted to go in the bow first or aft first.

Name:	wtc_how_2.jpg
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	64674
        Is that an issue? or Would keeping the upper curve of the hull nearing the superstructure offer the support I need? There is a gentleman named Erich von Kloss (http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...6&l=d07efb2c90)
        who puts in garolite bulkheads instead of plastic. I like the idea, any thoughts or concerns? Is that enough to support the loss of cross support? I see why Erich uses 24” or smaller length, but how does his sub ride on the water? I do not know.
        I am open to suggestions. Those that have built and run their subs, what would you do different if you did it all over again? Suggestions on putting in the wtc?
        Last edited by trout; 07-28-2012, 01:36 AM.
        If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
          • Aug 2008

Split the hull like I showed you, damit! Loved the streached sprue trick. Nice.

Don't whoose out on my now, pal. beak out the Dremel saw blade and unleash Hell!

David
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
            Admiral
            • Jul 2011

David,
            Thank you. I ordered the mini circular saw blade last night.

Peace,
            Tom

Comment

• trout
              Admiral
              • Jul 2011

Hack into the hull.
              I taped the bow and stern on and placed the deck on the superstructure. I let my son draw around the hull where the deck intersects. This will give me the no cut zone. Anything out past this line will be seen. I removed the deck and began to plot out what I was going to cut out and where. In doing the marking out I noticed a couple of things The front where the pegs are, the superstructure does not even touch the deck and the ones that do touch the superstructure have an arch in them (I do not know what that will mean - I just said I noticed it).

Name:	Hull_Mark_up.jpg
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	64760
              Using a Dremel type tool that resembles a mini circular saw blade, I began to cut the hull. One section at a time. There was a song that came to mind...... “The first cut is the deepest” It kept playing in my head the whole night.

Name:	cut_1.jpg
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	64761
              And so it begins..."Baby I know" darn that song....

Name:	cut_2.jpg
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	64762
              This is fun! I LIKE cutting out stuff.
              After hacking away, there was a lot of superstructure removed.

Name:	cut_3.jpg
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	64763
              Since I decided I am not going to cut my hull in half, I need to reinforce the bulkheads. I purchased garolite and used parts 183 and 184 as a template.

Name:	bulkhead_2.jpg
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	64765Click image for larger version

Name:	bulkhead_1.jpg
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	64764
              In all the excitement, I thought I took some pictures of the pattern and the cut out garolite bulkheads. Sorry to say, I forgot (just imagine the most perfect bulkheads you ever saw). I followed David’s direction (dvd) on the distance from the hull bottom to place the wtc. I opened the top up of the garolite bulkheads so the wtc can be dropped in. Garolite is a strong material, but cuts and sands well. Note: Not sure about this stuff so wear a mask to protect from the dust. I placed the garolite bulkheads in the appropriate locations, then placed the original plastic ones next to the garolite ones on the wider side of the hull. I squeezed the hull together to match the garolite and plastic bulkhead as a measuring stick so to speak. I could see if the hull needed to be compressed more if the plastic had large gaps showing. Then I taped the hull in the compressed position. After triple checking the fit and made sure all my alignment lines followed the hull lines, I began adhering the hull to the bulkhead with CA. First at the bottom and then in steps top middle, and then finally all spots in-between. After getting one side of the garolite one done (the side opposite of the plastic one), I removed the plastic bulkheads and CA’d the flip side of the garolite bulkheads.

Name:	bulkhead_4.jpg
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	64767

Name:	bulkhead_3.jpg
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	64766
              Now I am off to clean up the butchering I did to the hull and make it look pretty. Maybe get crazy and cut away the cross members that I think I do not need. Then back to the stern to install the drive shafts and back to the bow to install the front planes. I have an idea for the deck on how to glue them together especially since I am removing some of the cross members that would normally support the deck, but I will play first before I let you know. What I can share is, I plan to use the pins that Erich does to help secure the deck and the clips and stern piece that David does to secure the deck.
              Last edited by trout; 07-28-2012, 01:24 AM.

Comment

• trout
                Admiral
                • Jul 2011

Cleaned up the white metal parts following the DVD (again a ton of tips and instruction).

Name:	Parts1.jpg
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	64817
                A sprue was pulled over a flame and bent to give me a hook to dip the parts into ferric chloride acid. This will etch the metal and give a good hold to the primer paint.

Name:	Parts2.jpg
ID:	64818

Name:	Parts3.jpg
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	64819
                Then you need to neutralize the acid. This is done with water and baking soda (or sodium bicarbonate). I saturated the water solution by adding baking soda until no more could dissolve and a small amount settled at the bottom. When you dip your etched piece it will bubble as the acid and basic solution react with one another.

Name:	Parts4.jpg
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	64820
                Here is the contrast you can see. The darker parts on the right are the ones that have been etched.

Name:	Parts5.jpg
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	64821
                Began to install the propellor shaft strut. There is an indentation were the plastic part would connect that I used to open a hole that closely matched the metal strut. Looks O.K., there is a little play for alignment with the shaft.

Name:	Parts7.jpg
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	64822
                I thought I was going crazy and kept grabbing the left propeller shaft strut until I realized I do not have a right one, just two lefts. Help!

Name:	Parts6.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	64823
                Last edited by trout; 07-28-2012, 01:25 AM.

Comment

• trout
                  Admiral
                  • Jul 2011

David you are the man! What incredible customer service! Thank you so much! I had an email this morning (Wednesday) that a new set of propeller shaft struts were on their way. I know we all want to pinch a penny here and there, but there are times when NOT to. Not that Caswell, D&E, Mike, David et. al. are outlandish in prices, they are fair prices for quality work (at least that is what I have found so far). BUT the icing on the cake is what a company does when there is a problem or error. David and Mike you know how to take care of your customers. Period. Back to the build.
                  Marking where the stern tube exits the hull is pretty simple, just use the plastic part that came with the kit and trace around it. I marked also where the shaft stern tube ends with tape, so I can have some semblance of symmetry.

Name:	Shaft01.jpg
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	64835
                  Then slowly begin to cut out the area for the shaft support struts and shaft stern tubes. I am not sure how many times I stopped to check, but this will take awhile.

Name:	Shaft01a.jpg
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	64836

Name:	Shaft02.jpg
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	64837
                  Finally I have one side done. After I get the replacement part, I will work on the other side then glue these in. For now, lets move onto the bow planes.
                  Using a bud burr, I channeled out the area for the pins.

Name:	Bow_Dive_Plane01.jpg
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	64838

Name:	Bow_Dive_Plane03.jpg
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	64839

Checked out that the route that was cut for the 1/16” brass rods was deep enough.

Name:	Bow_Dive_Plane04.jpg
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	64840
                  Glued them together (DVD very helpful) and once dried hand drilled out the holes to clean out any glue or alignment issues due to sanding.

Name:	Bow_Dive_Plane05.jpg
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	64841
                  Temporarily installed the dive planes, checked the movement, and found that I did not make the oval big enough - grrrr. O.K. not that big of an issue just in disassembling the retract fell off. If I mounted the retract system too low it would lose mesh in the gears when the dive planes are up. Mounting the retract system higher up solved that problem.

Name:	Bow_Dive_Plane07a.jpg
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	64843

Name:	Bow_Dive_Plane07.jpg
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	64842

When I mounted it high I got great retract, but I am not sure about the deployed/down position. It is not completely horizontal and forming a 90 degree angle.

Name:	Bow_Dive_Plane07b.jpg
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	64844

Name:	Bow_Dive_Plane07c.jpg
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	64845
                  I do have some space between the bow plane operating shaft, Hmm if I bring those closer, I will lose some surface/dive motion because the planes collide with the hull. I could trim the planes. I will test that tomorrow. Is the angle O.K. if left like this? Your thoughts are appreciated. If not, is the solution to lower the retract a smidgen or two?
                  Last edited by trout; 07-28-2012, 01:27 AM.

Comment

• Aug 2008

I honestly don't know if the GATO/BALAO/TENCH class bow planes, when deployed, fell across a horizontal plane or had a bit of dihedral to them. Anyway, the bow planes on my boat have a bit of dihedral like yours, and I'm good with it.

It could be argued: If I had provided the right parts to your GATO fittings kit, to begine with, you would not have had to put our 'customer service' to the test. Anyway, thanks for the nice words.

David,
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
                      Admiral
                      • Jul 2011

I could not leave well enough alone and I noticed one pin that goes through one of the bow plane operating shafts was slightly crooked and I had some resistance in the bore of the bow plane shaft and wanted to ream it out a little too. After disassembling the dive planes, I noticed there is a slight angle in the bow plane operating shafts ends that receive the dive plane and I installed it BACKWARDS. Once I rolled them over and facing the correct way, everything fit better and I got the 90 degree angle on the bow planes I was looking for.
                      Here is a drawing with exaggerated angles to demonstrate what I mean.

Name:	Bow Plane Operating Shafts.jpg
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	64855
                      Complete deployment of front dive planes.

Name:	Bow_Dive_Plane08.jpg
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	64856
                      You might be able to see it here, the blue/green piece that the plane attaches to has a few degrees angle. And that angle runs parallel with the angle of the hull at that point.

Name:	Bow_Dive_Plane08a.jpg
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	64857
                      Now the plane has room to move and my resistance disappeared, so the movement is smooth retracting and deploying. My range of up or down bow planes increased because the planes were not hitting the hull.

Name:	Bow_Dive_Plane08c.jpg
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	64859Click image for larger version

Name:	Bow_Dive_Plane08d.jpg
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	64860Click image for larger version

Name:	Bow_Dive_Plane08b.jpg
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	64858
                      In an effort not to repeat installing them wrong again, I marked them left top and right top (should be port and starboard, I know...) Also another benefit the plane hugs the side of the hull better, before the forward edge seemed to stick out a little (thats because it did - amazing what a few degrees can do).

Name:	Bow_Dive_Plane08f.jpg
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	64862Click image for larger version

Name:	Bow_Dive_Plane08e.jpg
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	64861
                      Last edited by trout; 07-28-2012, 01:29 AM.

Comment

• trout
                        Admiral
                        • Jul 2011

I need your help, I want to put a couple of 2-56 screws into my sub and I have never tapped a hole before. How do I do this?
                        Thank you!
                        Peace,
                        Tom

Comment

• Aug 2008

If you're talking about styrene: Just drill a 1/16" (using a .063" drill bit will make the work go easier) hole and use the screw itself to cut the threads.

David
                          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
                            Admiral
                            • Jul 2011

That's it? No tap and die set? No big expenses? I am in shock.....But happy :)
                            Thank you for the tip. I will play tonight.

Comment

• trout
                              Admiral
                              • Jul 2011

I went ahead and worked on preparing the bow planes for priming. I CA’d the pin in and made sure enough CA was applied to coat all surfaces. Went ahead and sprinkled with baking soda then clean off the lose baking powder to see the coverage. This exposed areas that the CA did not get into and so I filled as needed. Then filed, ground, sanded the pins down to contour the dive plane.

Name:	Bow_Dive_Plane09.jpg
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	64913

Name:	Bow_Dive_Plane09a.jpg
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	64914
                              The aft planes needed a clevis attached to it. It took me a while to find one that I could solder to 1/16” brass rod. I brought them (two in a pack), but the pin was too big to go through the dive plane control arm hole. And if I tried to drill it out, there would not be any metal left to create a hole. So, the logical thing to do (in my mind) was to make the pin smaller. Oh by the way, if you pull a clevis too far apart it goes “Sprongg” and flies apart. So I began attacking the pin on the one clevis I had left. Gently worked around the pin with a file until the diameter fit the control arm hole.

Name:	Aft_Dive_Plane01.jpg
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	64915

Name:	Aft_Dive_Plane02.jpg
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	64916

Name:	Aft_Dive_Plane03.jpg
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	64917
                              Can someone tell me how I attach this to the control arm when I assemble this inside? I can not string it through the opening in the skag unless I want to make a big opening (I would prefer not to)

Name:	Aft_Dive_Plane04.jpg
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	64918

Time to attach the skag/propellor strut. I glued just the strut part, the very most forward area. Then cut an angle in that would offer an additional holding factor. Maybe the picture will make more sense. The rear portion of the skag hooks under the glued front.

Name:	Aft_Dive_Plane04a.jpg
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	64919
                              Marked where I wanted the screws to go, but one area had nothing to support it.

Name:	Aft_Dive_Plane05.jpg
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	64920

So.... break out the sprue. I melted the sprue and quickly flattened it. Then sanded and ground it down to fit. Applied a generous amount of cohesive to the sprue and surrounding areas.

Name:	Aft_Dive_Plane06.jpg
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	64921

Name:	Aft_Dive_Plane07.jpg
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	64922
                              When I cut the sprue off, I left a small amount above the skag. Had I been smarter, I would have left a larger portion on because it helps align and support the skag/propellor support (much like a biscuit cut or plate cut in wood working) and give me more to screw into. Oh well next time. Then I drilled .063” hole and threaded a stainless steel 2-56 3/8” screw in. It WAS just that easy. Thank you David for sharing that tip! In retrospect next time I would drill a 1/16” then follow that with .063” 3/4th the way through. Leaving the last 1/4 the more tighter grip on the threads. It may not matter, just a thought for next time.

Name:	Aft_Dive_Plane08.jpg
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	64923
                              Put it all together and tested range of movement of the rudder and planes. It works!

Name:	Aft_Dive_Plane09.jpg
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	64924
                              I sometimes over think things and other times I do not think it through enough. Take the deck for example. Since I will be removing many of the cross braces in the superstructure, I thought glue the deck first on a flat surface, since the deck is flat from the photos and drawings I looked at. So I broke out the wax paper and placed the deck upside down to glue. Note, the deck supplied in the kit is not flat there are “things” protruding up (well down now that I flipped it over). I over came that by angling the protrusions off the edge of the table. And applying cohesive glue to it. Held it flat and weighed it down. Then added the support pieces to strengthen the joint.

Name:	Deck_001.jpg
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	64925
                              The part I did not think about so much is glue leaking (I did put wax paper down). I slopped on a lot of glue with the center and aft section. Well here is another shame picture....

Name:	Deck_001a.jpg
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	64926
                              But when I did the bow I was less liberal in the amount of glue (at first) then gradually added more. This worked better.

Name:	Deck_001b.jpg
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	64927
                              The side pieces are not glued yet, but I have very small spaces between the bow and midsection.

Name:	Deck_002.jpg
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	64928

Name:	Deck_003.jpg
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	64929
                              I am relatively sure I can fix my shame deck section, so once painted you will not see it. Let us keep that as a secret or better yet, forget about it altogether.
                              Last edited by trout; 07-28-2012, 01:31 AM.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Instead of using that big clevis as the interface item between pushrod and stern plane operating shaft bell-crank, simply put a Z-bend at the after end of the pushrod and use that to hold the pushrod to the bell-crank -- you can thread that assembly into the skeg for final assembly, Trout.

David,
                                Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...