Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bob K
    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
    • May 2011

Thanks for the reassurances Subculture. I have read up on Lipos extensively, and there are many warnings posted. Also I have seen a ship at our club errupt in a pillar of smoke. Maybe the cells were charged unequally, or too much power drawn when voltage was low. I have a LiPo charger, and a LiPo guard for the sub, but cannot get the exact battery recommended as the US don't allow air export of LiPo's, so the FAA believes there is risk even on new ones. I would be more than happy to have one shipped by surface mail to get the exact size and weight for the application.

In the mean time I am gaining some practical 'sub' experience by building a semi submersible.

Comment

• Subculture
      Admiral
      • Feb 2009

To get a lipo to combust would require serious levels of abuse. I've been using lipos for over ten years now, and have found them to be the easiest batteries to use and maintain, to the point that i use them not only in models but also my transmitter. During that time I have only had one 'incident', and that was caused by over discharge of the pack, in the early days before esc's with cut-offs were available. I landed my aeroplane, and it just died then and there, but no flames or high drama.

I do still use some other battery technologies, but generally find maintaining them to be a pain.

Comment

• Sam Victory
        Commander
        • Sep 2021

Two chimneys retract? Looks interesting, this WWI submarine has a lot of interesting features, it shouldn't be hard to make the chimney retract, but it would be a little difficult to add a smoke generator. It's really cool to have smoke generators spewing white smoke with the throttle, the rc tank smoke generator will do it, maybe extra check valves are needed to prevent water ingress, but these smoke generators tend to be large and will be a waste of space on a 2.5'' SD, maybe it won't even fit.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	OIP-C.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	157113
        So I think it can be as simple as possible, the following is a simple chimney retract top view:

Name:	06670d6d33a469bea08c9a0a338dd9b.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	157114

Name:	捕获.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	157116

I think the strangest thing about this ship is that it has 4 fixed beam torpedo tubes, 2 on each side, which is very different.

Name:	捕获1.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	157115

V

Comment

• Sam Victory
          Commander
          • Sep 2021

Two chimneys retract? Looks interesting, this WWI submarine has a lot of interesting features, it shouldn't be hard to make the chimney retract, but it would be a little difficult to add a smoke generator. It's really cool to have a smoke generator spewing white smoke with the throttle, the rc tank smoke generator will do it, maybe extra check valves are needed to prevent water ingress, but these smoke generators tend to be large and will be a waste of space on a 2.5'' SD, maybe it won't even fit.

So I think it can be as simple as possible, the following is a simple chimney retract top view:

I think the strangest thing about this ship is that it has 4 fixed beam torpedo tubes, 2 on each side, which is very different.

V

Comment

Working...