A Note About the Use of Digital Model Files

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • RanSan
    Lieutenant

    • May 2020
    • 68

    #1

    A Note About the Use of Digital Model Files

    Just a quick note about the use of digital model files in general, and specifically the files I provide through the Drydock website, and how I intended them to be used.

    A great deal of time and effort goes into designing, refining, testing, and preparing these models and the associated files. When someone purchases a set of my digital model files from the Drydock website, the purchase is intended to provide that individual with the ability to use those files for their own personal projects.

    That doesn't mean I'm opposed to people sharing their finished work. Quite the opposite — seeing the models being built, painted, displayed, and/or run as RC models, or otherwise enjoyed, is one of the most rewarding parts of creating them.

    There is, however, a distinction between sharing your finished work and using a single set of digital files to produce multiple physical models for other people.

    The files themselves are intended for personal use, so I would certainly be concerned if the files were being shared with others. My concern also extends to using those files to produce multiple physical models that are then given or sold to other people.

    I know some people do use my files to produce models that they sell to others, but in those cases I am compensated for each model produced, recognizing the time and effort that went into the design.

    I am also flattered when someone tells me they are donating a model based on my design, which they have also put a great deal of work into, to a museum. Donations to museums and charities are a different situation in my mind.

    I'm not posting this to discourage anyone from enjoying the models or from sharing their enthusiasm for the hobby. Quite the opposite. I simply want to make sure that the considerable amount of work that goes into creating these files is respected.

    When a single set of files is used to produce multiple models for other people, I have to admit that I feel the time and effort I've put into creating them is being taken advantage of.

    I hope everyone can understand where I'm coming from. I want people to enjoy the models and the hobby, but I also think it's important to respect the work that goes into creating them and the personal-use nature of the files.

    Thank you for understanding and, most importantly, for enjoying the models and the hobby.

    Randy
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    Moderator

    • Aug 2008
    • 13952

    #2
    Originally posted by RanSan
    Just a quick note about the use of digital model files in general, and specifically the files I provide through the Drydock website, and how I intended them to be used.

    A great deal of time and effort goes into designing, refining, testing, and preparing these models and the associated files. When someone purchases a set of my digital model files from the Drydock website, the purchase is intended to provide that individual with the ability to use those files for their own personal projects.

    That doesn't mean I'm opposed to people sharing their finished work. Quite the opposite — seeing the models being built, painted, displayed, and/or run as RC models, or otherwise enjoyed, is one of the most rewarding parts of creating them.

    There is, however, a distinction between sharing your finished work and using a single set of digital files to produce multiple physical models for other people.

    The files themselves are intended for personal use, so I would certainly be concerned if the files were being shared with others. My concern also extends to using those files to produce multiple physical models that are then given or sold to other people.

    I know some people do use my files to produce models that they sell to others, but in those cases I am compensated for each model produced, recognizing the time and effort that went into the design.

    I am also flattered when someone tells me they are donating a model based on my design, which they have also put a great deal of work into, to a museum. Donations to museums and charities are a different situation in my mind.

    I'm not posting this to discourage anyone from enjoying the models or from sharing their enthusiasm for the hobby. Quite the opposite. I simply want to make sure that the considerable amount of work that goes into creating these files is respected.

    When a single set of files is used to produce multiple models for other people, I have to admit that I feel the time and effort I've put into creating them is being taken advantage of.

    I hope everyone can understand where I'm coming from. I want people to enjoy the models and the hobby, but I also think it's important to respect the work that goes into creating them and the personal-use nature of the files.

    Thank you for understanding and, most importantly, for enjoying the models and the hobby.

    Randy
    The above version is the soft-spoke, diplomatic version... with sprinkles on top; bringing to light the important subject of protecting and respecting intellectual and physical property.

    Here's mine: DON'T STEAL OTHER PEOPLES STUFF!!

    David D Merriman lll
    Formerly, D&E Miniatures
    Who is John Galt?

    Comment

    • ffr2608
      Commander

      • Oct 2009
      • 346

      #3
      I remember telling a guy to keep his CAD files private. He ignored my advice and his boat is now for sale on 20+ Ebay sites as a wood kit, resin kit and even a fiberglass kit.
      I was a professional CAD designer for 2 decades and never understood how we became a free resource to the community. I'm constantly getting requests (even demands) for free files of my work.
      Not going to happen.

      Comment

      • NavyShooter
        Lieutenant, Junior Grade

        • Jul 2026
        • 35

        #4
        I suspect this is about me.
        Correction, this is all about me now that I've read the other thread.



        I've printed several Victoria models now.

        I'd planned to leave the first PLA one on display outside my shop at work, but a guy I work with asked if he could buy it from me for his partner, who works down in the Maritime Operations Group supporting the Sub in Halifax. I agreed, and sold it to him basically for the cost of the PLA/Paint/glue that it took to put it together since I knew it wasn't going to be able to be a functional model in the end.

        The second one I printed had been intended to go to my unit's CO for her to display alongside the River Class Destroyer model I presented her with earlier in the year - I was asked (ambushed) by the local workplace charitable campaign folks to see if they could get a model for an 'Auction' they were running. They ended up not auctioning it, rather they used it as a raffle prize instead, which I wasn't thrilled about. They've proven they're unworthy of such support again. I was disappointed that the XO of the unit would change the plan without discussing with those who'd provided the items. If I'd known it was a raffle prize, I'd have probably said no.

        The third one I printed was a test print of ABS - I know that PLA is not highly suitable for an outdoor model or RC use model, and I've never printed ABS before. It printed well, then, I saw one of Bob's videos about how 3D printed models are to be 100% infill printed - and realized I hadn't done that. There were air gaps and not 100% infill on the model, so, not suitable to use in RC. Great - glued it all together, and am planning to give that one to the CO to replace the one that the charity folks got.

        I'm printing #4 right now. I've wasted over a roll of ABS filament trying to get it to print properly with 100% infill and have to print each module part separately instead of filling a build plate, and about 3/4 of the parts fail printing partway for some reason that I cannot figure out.

        If you'd like some form of royalties for me printing these extra models let me know.

        Sorry for getting you riled up on this.
        Last edited by NavyShooter; 09-27-2026, 09:47 AM.

        Comment

        • RCSubGuy
          Welcome to my underwater realm!

          • Aug 2009
          • 2043

          #5
          It's not really getting riled up so much as making sure that everyone understands the use agreement fully. This sort of agreement is absolutely the standard almost anywhere you get digital files from.

          Like Randy said, charitable donations and other good samaritan services like that are something he absolutely considers creating exceptions to, but it's a matter of asking permission rather than forgiveness. Just pop me a request stating the situation and I'll get with Randy. This sort of situation is much different than you having a buddy that also wants one for himself so you send the files over to him, or knocking out two or three hulls for friends because they want a model of their own.

          Comment

          • NavyShooter
            Lieutenant, Junior Grade

            • Jul 2026
            • 35

            #6
            I obviously screwed up and printed extras - I want to make it right to Randy and not burn the bridges that this community enables.

            Let me know what I owe. PM inbound.

            Comment

            • He Who Shall Not Be Named
              Moderator

              • Aug 2008
              • 13952

              #7
              Originally posted by NavyShooter
              I obviously screwed up and printed extras - I want to make it right to Randy and not burn the bridges that this community enables.

              Let me know what I owe. PM inbound.
              Classy move. I like you already.
              Who is John Galt?

              Comment

              Working...