X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NoBoxLabs
    Ensign
    • Feb 2024

How to design hull for SSN 684

Do any of you know how to find hull designs for the USS Cavalla SSN 684 as it was when comissioned?

I was an ET1(SS) on the Cavalla and want to make a 3D printed model of the boat. I've searched for any CAD or STL files related to the Cavalla and found one design for $100, but it is not correct for the version of the Cavalla when it was commissioned. The model looks more like a generic 637 class model than the Cavalla which was a stretch hull.

If I could find a blue print of the exterior I could make a model in CAD and 3D print from there or if you know of any sources that could help with designing a model from scratch.

thanks,
    keith
  • CC Clarke
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Aug 2020

Your post is somewhat confusing. First you want reference material, saying you can build a 3D print, then finish with wanting help designing one. Which is it?

There are no stretch 637 printed boats available AFAIK. (Except mine, but I don't sell files commercially.)

If you're looking at the $99 TurboSquid model of a 637, you're right. It's a standard 637 and not the commissioning version, (since it has the TB-16 Towed Array Cover) Nor is it suitable for 3D printing anyway as it is a display model only, --made for renders and animation.

If you want to print a 637 stretch, you'll need the proper reference material. Start with NAVSOURCE submarine photos of stretch. There are some 687 exterior piping tab views available suitable for modeling. Google away.

Big diff: Obviously a little longer in the aft OPs compartment, and the sail cap is different for the attack scope which has a fairing, --not a straight mast as depicted in early versions. Most of the "canon" 637 drawings are incorrect - stick with official Navy drawings and photos for the best accuracy.

If you choose to commission someone to design a decent 3D-printable file for you, it won't be cheap.

I'm gathering reference material to begin working on a Block V VA with Vertical Payload Module for a Naval Submarine League project and it will take several months between concept and finished product to achieve the required level of detail and accuracy.

Comment

• NoBoxLabs
      Ensign
      • Feb 2024

I agree, my question was confusing. To clarify, I'm a retired engineer. When I need a 3D printed part for a project, and I can't find an existing model (free or paid), or one that can be modified, I design one from scratch using CAD.

I was crew on the Cavalla and want to 3D print a model of the commission configuration for myself and a few shipmates. I found very few models of the Cavalla. I also realized that I had no way to know if a model was accurate.

I'm a firm believer in RTFM so I searched for sources of technical data. The Cavalla web site, NAVSOURCE, and a few other uncommon government sources had photos but no technical data. I found a Russian company that makes plastic models of the Cavalla in its commissioning configuration but I don't trust them until proven otherwise. I found quite a trove of information on the Sturgeon.

You can imagine my surprise when I found the RCSubGuy YouTube channel and this forum. The accuracy of the models is incredible. I watched in amazement a video of a model rc-sub going through all the evolutions including launching a torpedo.

I've watched several rc-sub CAD discussions on YouTube and read a bunch of forum posts and I can see that it takes a significant amount of effort to research and make an accurate CAD model of a sub.

I had resigned myself designing a model using photos from NAVSOURCE and and my shipmates. As inspiring as the rc-sub models are I think I'll stick to the basics with the all masts down.

I made my ill worded "hail Mary" post to the forum in hopes that I had missed a resource. I chalk the poor post up to a lack of coffee.

Your reply about the TurboSquid model confirmed my suspicions on the accuracy/quality of what I was finding. Your tip on looking for the Russel piping tab turned up really good info. Since piping tabs are classified I hadn't considered searching for them. I will also compile a list of all the stretch hull 637s so I can search for their info as well.

My goal isn't to make an rc-sub, and I can't make any claims of CAD wizardry, but I'm more than happy to share any info I dig up and models I create.

Thank you for your reply,
      keith

Comment

• CC Clarke
        Lieutenant Commander
        • Aug 2020

637 General Piping tabs are unclassified; some are marked FOUO. They pop up on eBay sometimes, but I'm not paying hundreds of bucks for one. I have complete copies of a few boats, but exterior arrangement piping tab pics are for 637s are available online. Facebook has many submariner-only and crew pages with lots of good topside reference shots to be found. I easily spend an hour a day gathering reference photos.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
          • Aug 2008

Contact me, I'll fix you up.

David
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...