• Mar 2022

Software recommendations?

I'm running on a Mac.

Thanks
    Chris
  • trout
    Admiral
    • Jul 2011

I use a Mac, but what software are you referring to? 3D stuff? I use Fusion 360.
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• SubICman
      Lieutenant
      • Jun 2022

If your talking 3d modeling, I use Solidworks 2021 for my originals and meshmixer/fusion 360 for stl mesh work

Comment

• rwtdiver
        Vice Admiral
        • Feb 2019

I do a lot of 3D submarine building. I use files from Nautilus Drydocks, GTrader, and Thingaverse. I would like to start doing my own design work and set up own STL files. I have TinkerCad for just basic parts and pieces.

What would be my simplest and easiest options for a CAD system for Windows 10?

Thanks in advance for the information!

Rob
        "Firemen can stand the heat"

Comment

• Thorbrandr
          Lieutenant Commander
          • Mar 2022

LOL. the questions indicate my question is more in-depth than I realized.

I have the software from Creality for the slice. Basically Cura.

I have Sketchup 3D.

I have had some recommendations for Fusion360.

So, what I need to do is:

Do the basic hull shape and sizing. The existing 3D files I have found are not right, so I will need to do new hull forms. I can do that off drawings and pics. what Would be really nice is if I can frame it and have it splined and skinned.

Thoughts?

Thanks
          Chris

Comment

• SubICman
            Lieutenant
            • Jun 2022

Solidworks or Inventor. Neither are cheap unless you have a student need or a license agreement through your work that reduces the cost.
            Last edited by SubICman; 09-26-2022, 12:39 PM.

Comment

• rwtdiver
              Vice Admiral
              • Feb 2019

Originally posted by SubICman
              Solidworks or Inventor. Neither are cheap unless you have a student need or a license agreement theough your work that reduces the cost.
              Thanks, SublCman!

I appreciate the information, and I can see why they do cost as much as they do. I can also see that they might be a little tough to learn as a beginner. I think I will just stay with STL files for submarines that I can purchase.

Thanks again for the information!

Rob

Comment

• Subculture
                Admiral
                • Feb 2009

I'm just an amateur at this, but I use Fusion 360. I don't really draw out complete subs, I tend to make certain parts for boats that are mostly hand made. e.g. I'll draw out control surfaces or detail items like say a kort nozzle.

It's a very good package, and the free license should be more than adequate for the majority of users. Lots of free tutorials on Youtube etc. which is major bonus in helping to guide you through the features.

if you want a totally free unrestricted package, have a look at freecad. Far less tutorials, and the app is a little less intuitive in feel than Fusion, but very powerful.

if you are more into sculpting out a shape, Blender is another free package. The process is totally different to the other two packages, and I found it a bit tricky to get my head around. Not such a good package for drawing highly accurate items.

Whichever package you go for, you'll be in for a steep learning curve, but it is quite fun, and like anything worthwhile it takes time, unless you're one of those very annoying types that can ace complex processes quickly.
                Last edited by Subculture; 09-26-2022, 11:24 AM.

Comment

• rwtdiver
                  Vice Admiral
                  • Feb 2019

Originally posted by Subculture
                  I'm just an amateur at this, but I use Fusion 360. I don't really draw out complete subs, I tend to make certain parts for boats that are mostly hand made. e.g. I'll draw out control surfaces or detail items like say a kort nozzle.

It's a very good package, and the free license should be more than adequate for the majority of users. Lots of free tutorials on Youtube etc. which is major bonus in helping to guide you through the features.

if you want a totally free unrestricted package, have a look at freecad. Far less tutorials, and the app is a little less intuitive in feel than Fusion, but very powerful.

if you are more into sculpting out a shape, Blender is another free package. The process is totally different to the other two packages, and I found it a bit tricky to get my head around. Not such a good package for drawing highly accurate items.

Whichever package you go for, you'll be in for a steep learning curve, but it is quite fun, and like anything worthwhile it takes time, unless you're one of those very annoying types that can ace complex processes quickly.
                  Thanks Subculture!

I appreciate you posting the great information! I will check out those you have listed, and most likely try those that are free to see if my old wore out brain can handle them! :-))

Rob

Comment

• SubICman
                    Lieutenant
                    • Jun 2022

I have played with blender and Freecad and have had issues figuring things out. but my learning curve is steeper than most. I took a parametric modeling course a few years ago and we used Autodesk Inventor 2013. I now work with Solidworks a lot at work. I had to unlearn the Autodesk commands do do what I want and learn Solidworks. But the good news was that there are numerous free books and lessons by Professional users on the net on how to use Solidworks. I am sure there are videos for blender and Freecad, but in my experience, everyone has a different way to do things.
                    Last edited by SubICman; 09-27-2022, 04:09 PM.

Comment

• type7
                      Lieutenant Commander
                      • Apr 2009

I use Alibre for solid modeling. It is not free but it is like Proe/Creo and solidworks, just dummied down a bit. I got tired of beating my head against the wall using Fusion 360. Fusion is so awkward and different than other solid modelers that I hate it even though it is capable.

Comment

Working...