X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Thorbrandr
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Mar 2022

3D printer types

Looking at eventually doing a large boat. 1/32 scale, About 2 meters long.

I had planned on doing a lost foam kevlar lay up (I use a fair amount of kevlar for other jobs). However, after looking at this, the expense of the printer may be made up in time.

Would resin or filament be the way to go? How well do the types glue together to make a hull?

Are there power considerations - such as 120 vs 220 V?

The printer could end up being used to make models for work as well.

Thanks
    Chris
  • SubDude
    Captain
    • Dec 2019

I have printed a 1/48 Jimmy Carter that is 113" long so well over 2 meters. My 1/72 Columbia is 93" long as well and I am in the process of printing a 1/48 I-400 which will be 100". All are printed in ABS or ASA filament on an Ender 3 Pro or Ender 5+. The hulls are good and strong with sections joined together by separate flanges and CA. Filament printers are readily available with large print volumes that are typically larger than resin printers and for their volume are less expensive. My Ender 5+ is 350mm x 350mm x 400mm for instance. Resin printing is superior to filament for detail and printing speed but I am only starting to see hulls being printed with resin and I really want to see how one holds up after a season or two but haven't gotten that information yet. I don't believe power considerations are a factor as each runs off of power supplies just like a computer.

Comment

• RCSubGuy
      Welcome to my underwater realm!
      • Aug 2009

For something that size, I'd absolutely go the ABS/filament route.

Comment

• SubSteve
        Lieutenant
        • Apr 2022

Originally posted by SubDude
        I have printed a 1/48 Jimmy Carter that is 113" long so well over 2 meters. My 1/72 Columbia is 93" long as well and I am in the process of printing a 1/48 I-400 which will be 100". All are printed in ABS or ASA filament on an Ender 3 Pro or Ender 5+. The hulls are good and strong with sections joined together by separate flanges and CA. Filament printers are readily available with large print volumes that are typically larger than resin printers and for their volume are less expensive. My Ender 5+ is 350mm x 350mm x 400mm for instance. Resin printing is superior to filament for detail and printing speed but I am only starting to see hulls being printed with resin and I really want to see how one holds up after a season or two but haven't gotten that information yet. I don't believe power considerations are a factor as each runs off of power supplies just like a computer.
        Hi Steve,
        I am looking to print a 1/48 scale Sturgeon (for starters) so about the size of your Permit. I had hoped my Prusa i3 Mk3 would do the job but it doesn't have a big enough build volume so I may be in the market for a larger printer. If you had it to do over, would you still buy and use the Ender 5, or would you go in a different direction?
        Steve O

Comment

• SubDude
          Captain
          • Dec 2019

Originally posted by SubSteve

Hi Steve,
          I am looking to print a 1/48 scale Sturgeon (for starters) so about the size of your Permit. I had hoped my Prusa i3 Mk3 would do the job but it doesn't have a big enough build volume so I may be in the market for a larger printer. If you had it to do over, would you still buy and use the Ender 5, or would you go in a different direction?
          Steve O
          I have come to like the Enders. Parts are readily availablefor them and they are easy to tune and troubleshoot but I have really not experienced any others. I love my Ender 5+ with the exception that the extruder and spool are located on the back of the printer making it difficult to change spools at times. There may be a better way to mount them but I haven't investigated that yet but yes, I would love to purchase another Ender 5+ and cut my print time in half.

Comment

• SubSteve
            Lieutenant
            • Apr 2022

I have come to like the Enders. Parts are readily availablefor them and they are easy to tune and troubleshoot but I have really not experienced any others. I love my Ender 5+ with the exception that the extruder and spool are located on the back of the printer making it difficult to change spools at times. There may be a better way to mount them but I haven't investigated that yet but yes, I would love to purchase another Ender 5+ and cut my print time in half.

Thanks Steve, I emailed more questions but not sure if the email is valid so here's a repeat!

Hi Steve,

I appreciate your input on the Ender 5 Plus, I think that’s the way I’ll go. I just bought the Sturgeon files from Bob and they look great!
            I love Prusa products but their large printer is $2000 and 9 months away.
            My intent is to print with ASA, possibly Black upper half and red lower half just for some immediate gratification!

Some questions I couldn’t find in your build log:
            How many spools of filament did you use?
            What were your print settings?
            Total print time?
            Where did you source your prop?

We talked about your Mtroniks G2 Hydra 50. Has that worked out for you or is it too much or too little?
            My current build is the 1/48 Barbel which is 53” X 7.5” and I am still considering propulsion motors for that one too.

Thank you for your help!

Steve O'Connell
            1404 Shetland Road
            Aubrey, TX 76227
            425-765-5418, cell

Comment

• SubDude
              Captain
              • Dec 2019

Originally posted by SubSteve

Thanks Steve, I emailed more questions but not sure if the email is valid so here's a repeat!

Hi Steve,

I appreciate your input on the Ender 5 Plus, I think that’s the way I’ll go. I just bought the Sturgeon files from Bob and they look great!
              I love Prusa products but their large printer is $2000 and 9 months away.
              My intent is to print with ASA, possibly Black upper half and red lower half just for some immediate gratification!

Some questions I couldn’t find in your build log:
              How many spools of filament did you use?
              What were your print settings?
              Total print time?
              Where did you source your prop?

We talked about your Mtroniks G2 Hydra 50. Has that worked out for you or is it too much or too little?
              My current build is the 1/48 Barbel which is 53” X 7.5” and I am still considering propulsion motors for that one too.

Thank you for your help!

Steve O'Connell
              1404 Shetland Road
              Aubrey, TX 76227
              425-765-5418, cell
              I got it but currently tied up. I will respond soon.

Comment

• SubSteve
                Lieutenant
                • Apr 2022

I got it but currently tied up. I will respond soon.
                No worries and no hurry, thanks!

Comment

• SubDude
                  Captain
                  • Dec 2019

I printed the Thresher just before I started keeping records on time to print and spools for my own boats. If I recall correctly it took around 8 spools and approximately 500 hours at my printer settings. ASA and ABS print slower than PLA for best results. I will send my printer setting separately as currently I am away from it. If you intend to go with ASA or ABS you will need to think about a heated enclosure. I will get you the info. for that as well. I built mine. As for the prop it is either a Raboesch or it came from The Prop Shop in the UK. The Mtroniks G2 Hydra 50 is overkill for the Thresher and I picked up the G2 Hydra 30 to try. I used the 50 because I was trying to keep the power unit consistent for use in my other bigger boats. The 50 is also a higher KV than preferred so it has less than ideal low end performance but not all of my 50's are that way. For your Barbel, it is about the same size as the Type IX I built for David Ruiz and it had two brushless motors from Engel. I think they were 550 KV and they worked very well for it. Bob may also have something as well.

Comment

• SubSteve
                    Lieutenant
                    • Apr 2022

I printed the Thresher just before I started keeping records on time to print and spools for my own boats. If I recall correctly it took around 8 spools and approximately 500 hours at my printer settings. ASA and ABS print slower than PLA for best results. I will send my printer setting separately as currently I am away from it. If you intend to go with ASA or ABS you will need to think about a heated enclosure. I will get you the info. for that as well. I built mine. As for the prop it is either a Raboesch or it came from The Prop Shop in the UK. The Mtroniks G2 Hydra 50 is overkill for the Thresher and I picked up the G2 Hydra 30 to try. I used the 50 because I was trying to keep the power unit consistent for use in my other bigger boats. The 50 is also a higher KV than preferred so it has less than ideal low end performance but not all of my 50's are that way. For your Barbel, it is about the same size as the Type IX I built for David Ruiz and it had two brushless motors from Engel. I think they were 550 KV and they worked very well for it. Bob may also have something as well.
                    Thanks Steve, all good stuff!
                    I was curious about the spools as I want to order it all at once to insure it all comes from one batch, if that matters. The Ender 5+ will be here tomorrow, along with a pile of upgrades. I do like Prop Shop products and service so I'll investigate that. My Barbel is the single screw SS-580 with a 3.25" diameter, 5-blade wheel. I may try a Graupner Speed 500 brushless I have as the specs look encouraging. My next two large boats are both twin screw with props easily within 500-750kva brushless, direct-drive territory. My experience with brushless motors running in the bottom third of their design range is limited but they do seem to pull it off. The first one I tried in a Skip Asay Marlin ran like a torpedo until I turned the ESC down to 40%. Even with a 2:1 belt drive it was still too fast. About the only drawback I see to the Mtroniks 30 is it's only available from the UK. That's never been a problem, it'd just be nice if there were a US distributor.

More questions occur to me:
                    Have you ever printed parts, say the sail and a hull section, on two different brand printers using different slicers? Any issues with fit? (Question assumes my situation where I am scaling the 1/72 files up 150% to 1/48 in the respective slicer.)
                    What slicer are you using for the Ender 5 Plus?

Sorry for all the questions but when you are the Acknowledged Master of Printing Large Round Submarine Models you need to expect some fans!

SteveO
                    Last edited by SubSteve; 10-07-2022, 12:01 PM. Reason: Add clarity to question.

Comment

• SubDude
                      Captain
                      • Dec 2019

I have used exclusively Simplify 3D for my slicer so I don't have experience with anything else. I also have an Ender 3 Pro that I use for smaller parts to print in conjunction with the 5+. Never had a fitment issue between the two printers.

Comment

• Subculture
                        Admiral
                        • Feb 2009

I have an Ender 2. I ended up replacing all of the electronics, the mainboard went west on me, replaced with MKS GEN L which has been rock The hot end and mainboard cooling fans were junk, and bearings all went noisy and lubing them only offered temporary respite. so I replaced them with good quality ball raced items I had left over from old computers. I also made many tweaks to the mechanical elements improving the belt routing and tensioning, z-axis alignment, print cooling fans, and most importantly i locked the bed down and shimmed it to get it level.

I believe Creality have raised their game a bit since I purchased my printer, and electronics are more reliable and many hardware tweaks to make the kits go together easier.

I would personally keep the printer as small as you can, because large beds take longer to heat up and draw more power, and bigger also sometimes means more bendy and thus less accuracy- the Ender 5 is a box cage which will help enormously.

For most users I expect an ender 3 is plenty, and you can buy two for the price of one ender 5, and parallel printing would certainly speed things up.

Comment

• SubICman
                          Lieutenant
                          • Jun 2022

I have a Rostock Max V2 Delta Printer that I bought about 8 years ago as a kit. It ran very good, but I after this many years I to do some work on the hotend. It has some drawbacks like it needs a heated enclosure to be better, but at that time it was on of the largest build areas avail at `11" diameter and 14.75" z height. That model is long discontinued, and they had progressed to a V5 but it says sold out and delayed due to moving factory. All and all I was happy with it, but I am exploring resin printing now.

Comment

Working...