• Woogey
    Ensign
    • Mar 2016

1/144 Ohio SSGN modified 3D files.

1. Click image for larger version

Name:	533FE030-CD17-4C93-9DA7-041F1AB5CEF3.jpeg
Views:	408
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	158836 As I am about 2/3 through my first print of the 1/144 Ohio Class boat purchased here at the NDD, I catch this photo on Facebook of Ohio in her SSGN form. I wonder if the 3D files could be modified to feature the widened FWD missile deck? I spoke with a buddy who served on her, and he stated that internally the boat was the same dimensionally. The wider deck served to give more level surface area for the two docks and SEAL operations.
  • CC Clarke
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Aug 2020

Totally do-able. Conversion of the existing 3D printable model into the SSGN version is very straightforward if you can model. Basically, the turtleback is widened at two points and the lower portion of the hull stays the same. Modeling the DDS's is a little more work, but the geometry is not complex. Perhaps Bob can have it included as an accessory module for those wishing to print the conversion version.

The Trident SSGN Conversion Program was a pretty smart move to hold onto highly-capable. well-maintained platforms that could have been retired due to the results of a revised Arms Limitation Treaty with the Russians.

154 cruise missiles is a mighty capability to have up one's sleeve, since none of our potential adversaries knows where they are and how long it would take to position them. SSGN's have a second bonus since they free up a lot of surface ships that otherwise might have to be forward-deployed to meet the requirements for a certain quantity of prompt-strike weapons available within geographic areas.

The former MCC, (Missile Control Center) where Trident launch tube prep and launch countdown operations were conducted, is almost the size of the Control Room so it was an ideal fit as a Strike Operations Center with lots of comms for Special Forces support and the ability to download target coordinates to cruise missile strike packages. Cruise don't need anywhere near the electronics cabinets that Trident missiles need, so all of those came out.
    The Trident class was sold to Congress as a 42-year hull, which made this a good way to keep the boats and reassure the Russians the new launch tubes could not carry Submarine-Launched Ballistic Missiles. The program was not cheap and suffered a 60% rise in cost.

The dry-hulled ASDS (Advanced SEAL Delivery System) was part of the upgrade deal. Two of them could mate to the forward missile tubes, adding a lot of capability over wet-hull submersibles like the MK-8 boat. That program had major teething problems and the only hull was delivered years late and way over budget. A modern handling facility was built to support the boat in Pearl, but during testing, a sailor didn't follow battery charging instructions and the resulting fire destroyed the hull, forcing the Navy to return to the Dry Dock Shelters and abandoning the idea for follow-on dry boats for SEAL transport. I have seen 3D hulls that depict the ASDS and DDS together on an SSGN, but this never happened in reality. The ASDS spent a lot of sea time on the back of the USS Greenville, an SSN. Topside adapter sponsons would need to be modeled for an SSN application. The ASDS and sponsons would also make a nice accessory file for printing.
    Last edited by CC Clarke; 02-04-2022, 01:39 PM.

Comment

Working...