X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kazzer
    • Aug 2008

Scott Brodeen's NAUTILUS

Assembled by The Wizard himself!

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
    Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!
  • RCSubGuy
    Welcome to my underwater realm!
    • Aug 2009

Beautiful job, Dave!

That's a Total Immersion knockoff sub kit. Lee retooled Scott's work, basically sanding down the hull and adding his own hull details. All the parts from each kit are completely interchangeable. Scott's offering is of better quality (IMHO), with far better fitment, better quality resin, and a more classic (and authentic) look.

Comment

• matthewnimmo
      Commander
      • Dec 2011

Bringing back a dead post. But, while i was waiting on some things to dry and dinner to finish cooking. I started looking at all the potential 31" Disney Nautilus kits that i may consider after my gato build. I see three options

1) Buy the one from http://nautilusdrydocks.com/Brodeen31.html
      2) Buy the TI one from http://www.totalimmersion.com/Nautilus/
      3) By the one from here? Maybe http://www.disneysub.com/brodeen.html

I heard that what Scott Brodeen makes is the best? Also, is the option 1 the same as the kit from Scott himself?

Anyone?
      ... a computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me with kickboxing!!

Comment

• trout
        Admiral
        • Jul 2011

Matthew,
        you see that post just before yours? Subhuman (Bob Martin) is the expert on Nautilus. I thought he was involved with dry docks, but I could be wrong on that. Check out his site http://rc-sub.com/home/index.php5
        He is a really nice guy and very helpful.
        If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
          • Aug 2008

Yeah! ... what Tom just said!

M
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• RCSubGuy
            Welcome to my underwater realm!
            • Aug 2009

Option #1 and #3 are one in the same. Scott sells his kits through me, and sell them through the Nautilus Drydocks.

I'll just tell you once... steer clear of the TI kit unless you are exceptionally experienced with resin. While his product does look beautiful, fit and finish are substandard and the resin is mush and full of air bubbles. Take that for what it's worth as I sell a "competing" product, but others here can back that up.

The 31" kits are in stock and ready to ship, BTW!

Bob
            RC Submarines and how I built them, remote controlled and fully functional subs.

The Nautilus Drydocks offers exceptional scale models, accessories and RC components with a focus on military, sci-fi and fantasy submarines. Custom buildup services for display or remote control operation available!

Comment

• Subculture
              Admiral
              • Feb 2009

Something else to bear in mind. There have been a few snake oil salesman of the Disney Nautilus in the past- the skeletons don't so much fall out of the cupboard, as come out dancing the tango with feather boas! Caveat emptor, as the Romans said.

With Bob, you won't get knocked.
              Last edited by Subculture; 01-29-2014, 07:40 AM.

Comment

• alad61
                Commander
                • Jan 2012

Go with Bob. Great service and great kit!!
                Cheers,
                Alec.

Reality is but a dream...
                But to dream is a reality

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                  • Aug 2008

Any one remember Donnie Francis? When Andy talks about crooks in this game, Donnie's face should pop up. And there have been others, maybe not crooks, but promised product but simply 'went away'.

I want to jump on the TI vs. Brodeen pig-pile:

First, Bob is THE MAN when it comes to all things Disney NAUTILUS. Do business with him! And follow the links from his site -- very informative reading. Bob promotes (sells) the good works of Scott Brodeen; the guy who has done as much as Tom Sherman to keep the Disney N alive. Bob Martin is the point of sale you should go to for anything Disney N related!

Bob is with Scott, what Dave is with Darrin, what Mike is with me. These pairings are amalgamations of business sense with hand-skills. Rare relationships in this game of ours.

We idiot Model Makers, to be successful in business, need someone who knows how to market stuff and make the sale. (Hear me Joel, Rick, and you other right-brain types!?....).

The TI NAUTILUS kit is a knock-off of Scott Brodeen's work -- Mr. Brodeen (and Bob, for that matter) has been publicly non-committal as to his stance on the blatant pirating of his work. But I won't hesitate to say that the TI version should be avoided not only for the material shortcomings Bob and others have stated, but because each sale of a TI kit takes a sale away from Scott.

Nothing ****es me off more than to see someone suffer at the hands of those who knock-off the originator's work without agreement and acknowledgement!

THEFT!!!

I've assembled both the TI (done before I learned the history behind this kit) and the Scott Brodeen N's. World of difference, as Andy said above.

M
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• matthewnimmo
                    Commander
                    • Dec 2011

Thanks everyone! When i do start work on the nautilus I will be ordering from nautilusdrydocks then (notice that i said when). I'd love to do this model. It might be my next one i take on. I'm torn between this or the German XXIII bronco (i know now that its probably the easiest model and going from the Gato to this might not be that fun....but i may try to add torpedoes to it). But, i love the nautilus model ... also being a geek i like how i can configure some sort of lighting mechanics behind this model as well (I guess i could do that with my existing gato to some degree and the German XXIII if i want; but the D. Nautilus is definitely unique.

What are some of the common lighting techs to use with rc sub models? (best way to keep the lights from shorting out....type of lights to use and electronic toggle switches to wire to the remote). Continuing to hijack this thread with my random thoughts ... mounting water cams would be cool too.
                    ... a computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me with kickboxing!!

Comment

• alad61
                      Commander
                      • Jan 2012

LEDs are your best bet. It's what I used in my moebius Seaview conversion. And yes the Brodeen Nautilus looks really cool with lights, I know as my static build is full of them. Bob Martin sells a lighting kit made by VoodooFX which is pretty good as it has everything you need but I think it's a tad pricey. Don't misunderstand me Randy does make a good product as I have used his stuff. But if you know what your doing then lighting Nemos Iron Lady is pretty straight forward with LEDs, resisters, shrink tube a good quality marine grade silicone all wired in parallel. When you wire up your lights experiment on the best way to keep them dry. Scott's resin is solid yet easy to work with. It takes a drill bit, dremel, adhesives, and a range of fillers nicely. So converting is a breeze.
                      Cheers,
                      Alec.

Reality is but a dream...
                      But to dream is a reality

Comment

Working...