Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trout
    Admiral
    • Jul 2011

Kudos to you Manfred! David is so generous with his help and product, it is great that you are returning the generosity! That speaks volumes to the type of person you are.
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• greenman407
      Admiral
      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by MFR1964
      Guys,

For now the V80 is on travel to the United States, it will take a week or so, before she will show up under David's eyes, for now it will be a one off spin, never had the intention to build more V80 hulls.
      I was wondering how i could please David with a gift, like many of us now, if there is trouble, he yankes his email adress on the forum, with the words, I'LL FIX YOU UP, so this time i decided to fix him up with some hullparts of the V80, i hope it will give him as much a fun as i had with my build.
      Inside will fit a 2,5" SD or even a 3" SD, much easier than using a dryhull, i'm still pleased with mine, nice boat to run and fast when needed, turningradius a nightmare above the surface, but once underwater she has a different twist, i'll let David find out himself.
      I hope he will start his thread soon before building the hull, so i can tease him with more info about this boat.

Manfred.
      Manfred, would you be willing, over time, to produce more hulls for circulation. If I know Dave, when he has time he will show us everything, and will work out all the details for us. Then, all we have to do is order the hull from you and the Subdriver and componants from Caswell and a new kit is born. Something to think about.
      IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• Von Hilde
        Rear Admiral
        • Oct 2011

Good to keep feeding the beast Manfred. You never know when you may need a problem solved. He's like Gandolf the old wizard, never know when you might have to rub the gold ring in a pinch, someday. Looking forward to your making the GRP hull for the 1/16th type A. Be happy to give you any info I have on exterior detail if you need, as I have done some extensive research on the varrients of the vessel.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Von Hilde
          Good to keep feeding the beast Manfred. You never know when you may need a problem solved. He's like Gandolf the old wizard, never know when you might have to rub the gold ring in a pinch, someday. Looking forward to your making the GRP hull for the 1/16th type A. Be happy to give you any info I have on exterior detail if you need, as I have done some extensive research on the varrients of the vessel.

Rub THIS!....

OK, enough of the noses-up-the-ass crap.

BACK TO WORK!

M
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Von Hilde
            Rear Admiral
            • Oct 2011

Grouchy old wizzad, go pet your cat and take yer meds

Comment

• MFR1964
              Detail Nut of the First Order
              • Sep 2010

Mark,

It will take me each time up to 12 hours to build a single hull, i simply don't have time for that (think normal job), David's hull has been build during my own free days last few weeks, there will be no time left to build on my own models, i'm not into production and selling hulls.
              Getting this as a kit onto the market will demand a huge effort, it has been build as a garage-kit, naked as a baby, no details, no weldinglines, floodholes what so ever, even no other parts, only the two hull parts, making a fittingkit will cost David way too much time.
              For now it will stay with this sole example for David, don't get me wrong, i'm flattered with your remark about making this as a kit, but there is enough on my plate allready, i like to be realistic and want to bring each project i start to a end, and hopefully a functional boat.

Manfred.
              I went underground

Comment

• MFR1964
                • Sep 2010

As you guys know David had lost the first hull i made for him in a flood, so i promised him a new one, build this one in silence and posted nothing about the progress, just mailed David about the progress, now it's save inside his cave i'll share some pics how things went.
                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1467.JPG Views:	2 Size:	214.7 KB ID:	127627

First stage, cleaning and prepping the molds.
                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1468.JPG Views:	2 Size:	205.4 KB ID:	127628
                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1469.JPG Views:	1 Size:	211.4 KB ID:	127629

Getting in the layer of gelcoat, the different colours are due of using two batches of gelcoat.
                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1470.JPG Views:	2 Size:	225.1 KB ID:	127630

Always the tricky part, getting in the first layers.
                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1490.JPG Views:	2 Size:	222.9 KB ID:	127631

Dispite the colour, the details came out better as expected.
                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1493.JPG Views:	2 Size:	146.8 KB ID:	127632

More work at the hull parts, using the molds to get the edges flush for right fitting, it's not that much work but it secures a tight fitt, only disadvantage is, you're wearing out the edge of the mold due to the wet sanding.
                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1494.JPG Views:	2 Size:	219.9 KB ID:	127633

But when done you get this as the result, next boat i will pull out of this mold, will be used as master for a new mold, simply because the dimensions will not be good enough.
                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1495.JPG Views:	2 Size:	180.6 KB ID:	127634

Final test-fitt before sending it to David, still funny to see exact the same hulls together.

This was not the end of the story, in the past i made some silicone molds of the rudder and divingplane, i wanted to add some extra items, but that will be for the next post.

Manfred.

Last edited by MFR1964; 09-17-2018, 03:26 PM.
                I went underground

Comment

• MFR1964
                  • Sep 2010

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1571.JPG
Views:	196
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	127778

The mold on the right i had made earlier, the one on the left represents the O2 exhausts, in the background is the mold of the scopes, i never had intentions to make more molds, but i could not know how wrong i was.

Name:	IMG_1536.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	593.8 KB
ID:	127779

This took me some more effort, i still had the wooden master of the stabilisor, and decided to make a rubber mold, it would ease the load on David for building this boat.

Name:	IMG_1538.JPG
Views:	182
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	127772

It's crude but a good start to get some stabilisors, i managed to make a conduit inside the stabilisor for steering-rods.

Name:	IMG_1504.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	127775

Getting the scopes right made with resin took a bit of a learningcurve, injecting the resin into the mold was the solution, a stainless rod is inserted to make it more sturdy.

Name:	IMG_1506.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	127780

Those rudders and divingplanes pouring was easy, made two sets, so David can play around with them.

Name:	IMG_1505.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	127774

Made three O2 exhausts, why?, i lately found out on some stills of a video, the V80 had two O2 exhausts!!!, so two for David and one for myself, drove my boat for about 5 years without knowing this, those bulbs can be used to make the dome.

Name:	IMG_1544.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	645.8 KB
ID:	127777

Made a simple drawing on the floodholes and some info about the "gills" on the tower, send David also a set of original buildingdrawings which i had become from Stefan Schmitz from SONAR.

Name:	IMG_1539.JPG
Views:	177
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	127781

Sticked all the stuff on a piece of cardboard, it seemed to have worked, no broken parts when arrived.

Manfred.

Attached Files
                  I went underground

Comment

Working...