X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Subculture
    Admiral
    • Feb 2009

Le Triomphant

Anyone seen this? 1/96th scale model with working electric torpedoes, missiles the works. Impressive model.

• CaptainNemo12
    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
    • Dec 2009

Very cool, I'm curious as to how the electric torpedoes are "programmed" to run for a set amount of time with the little box he uses, and if I understood correctly, why it must be kept away from the light after being programmed.

Comment

• Subculture
      Admiral
      • Feb 2009

One way I can think of is to use a small PIC chip (or equivalent). They can be programmed to send out a signal for a set amount of time to trigger a transistor to power the motor.

Comment

• trout
        Admiral
        • Jul 2011

subculture, you are right, I am working on one now using a PIC chip. More will be posted as progress happens.
        If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Subculture
          Admiral
          • Feb 2009

Looks like the programmer has six switches on it. Not sure how he's implemented it, but if it's purely used for distance that could give you up to 128 different distances. I expect the communication protocol is a standard infra red type serial interface.

I think you would use hall effect sensors instead of optical.

Comment

• trout
            Admiral
            • Jul 2011

I would love to talk to him about his battery. If anyone knows of a way to get in contact, I would like that information.
            Peace,
            Tom
            If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• solosub
              Lieutenant
              • Sep 2010

Hi guys :biggrin:

For the Triomphant you have many pictures on Scalesub ;)

And
              Last edited by solosub; 03-24-2012, 06:32 AM.
              Laurent

www.scalesub.com

French RC submarine forum

Comment

• trout
                Admiral
                • Jul 2011

Laurent,
                i thought you would be able to help.
                Merci

Comment

• KevinMc
                  Commander
                  • Feb 2009

Very impressive indeed - I'd love to know what he's using for a battery in those torpedos.

For anyone who wasn't sure, yes he's using a little micro to set the time and it seems as though he's using light to trigger the timer/motor to start counting. Compressed air squirts the fish out, then the motor takes over.
                  Kevin McLeod - Oscar II driver
                  KMc Designs

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                    • Aug 2008

Maybe, like Dan Kachur, he uses a capacitor to hold the torpedoes electrical charge?

David
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Subculture
                      Admiral
                      • Feb 2009

Unless he's using disposable lithium button cells, I don't know of a battery else small enough. Smallest Lipo I know of is 8mA, and is tiny, but still 10mm wide, which is too much for torpedoes at this scale.

Comment

• KevinMc
                        Commander
                        • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Subculture
                        Unless he's using disposable lithium button cells, I don't know of a battery else small enough. Smallest Lipo I know of is 8mA, and is tiny, but still 10mm wide, which is too much for torpedoes at this scale.
                        I did a search on smally LiPos and found one that was 10mAh and only 5mm wide - which is tantalizingly close.
                        KMc Designs

Comment

• KevinMc
                          Commander
                          • Feb 2009

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
                          Maybe, like Dan Kachur, he uses a capacitor to hold the torpedoes electrical charge?

David
                          I didn't think you could store enough charge in a cap to get that kind of run time...
                          I wondered about using a small hearing aid battery.
                          KMc Designs

Comment

• trout
                            Admiral
                            • Jul 2011

I have checked out hearing aid batteries and the generic kind have one disadvantage, they use air and once opened they will continue to run until discharged. There is one type of rechargeable battery that may work for a 1/72 scale torpedo, but would need to come up with a charging circuit. There is also an smd battery (very cool), but on the expensive side.
                            David, you have mentioned Dan a couple of times, but for the life of me, I cannot work out a capacitor that will give any kind of run time. Do you have Mr. Kachur's email?

Peace,
                            Tom

Comment

• redboat219
                              Admiral
                              • Dec 2008

Would be nice if you could use it to program a torpedo to run a search pattern.

Has anyone ever used a pic controller to make a model sub run autonomously?
                              Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

Working...