Krick U25, 1:68 Semi-Scale TYPE 1A U-Boat Underway, making way.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • QuarterMaster
    Rear Admiral
    • Sep 2015

Krick U25, 1:68 Semi-Scale TYPE 1A U-Boat Underway, making way.

KRICK U25 Sea Trials.
    2023-10-15: Towne Lake, McKinney TX
    Much thanks to Cash Hargett for the video and colorful commentary of my first outing with this boat.
    If you're ever in North Texas, come join the North Texas Model Shipwrights. A group of which I'm proud be a member.

October 15 NTMS fun run at Towne Lake McKinney

Early in 1991, I lost a Krick U25. Not only was it my first RC Submarine, but the first permanent loss of an RC Sub I have owned.
    Some 30 years later I had the opportunity to buy a pre-owned one from Joe Oliver. Who purchased it from its builder and original owner, none other than the incomparable Jim Butt .
    Yes Jim, some 30 odd years later, that boat still sails!

This is her maiden voyage, undergoing initial sea trials and trimming after a major refit including conversion to 3S 8k LiPo, dual 1300kv brushless motors with independent 30A ESCs, new shaft tubes, dual cup seals oil filled shaft tubes, new 3 blades brass props. Clear Lexan cover. 1/16" Stainless pushrods. 900mHz radio with telemetry, and more. ​

Sea trials were successful! Needs some weight in the bow. Power to spare! The motors at flank drew close to 20A! She got as close to being on plane as a Sub could get lol. Dialed it back to 35%. Now a Flank bell is 4.5-5A. It takes about 3.5A to dive. Battery at 72% after two hours underway. Looking at replacing the 1300kv with 750's
    More work needed, including final paint and weathering.

Yeah, I'm loving it. Eddie happy.​

Last edited by QuarterMaster; 10-17-2023, 09:20 AM.
    v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
    NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
    USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS
  • QuarterMaster
    Rear Admiral
    • Sep 2015

Almost forgot!

I had accidently set the 900Mhz TX power at 25mw!! Not bad considering at points I had her at times close 70% of the way across to the far shore surfaced! I did get some "Loss of Telemetry warnings 15m [50]' offshore after deeper dives. Unfortunately besides not being able to see her, which leads to increased pucker factor, one has no idea to her actual depth reached. Yes, PD is my wheelhouse lol.

Sweet!!
    v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
    NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
    USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

Working...