X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • redboat219
    Admiral
    • Dec 2008

NASA's clever way of making things before 3D printing was available

Not sure if one could use this technique in RC submarines but it shows some pretty amazing ways how they got around some engineering problems in the past.
    Make it simple, make strong, make it work!
  • redboat219
    Admiral
    • Dec 2008

Here's a related video about how present day engineers at NASA are having trouble remaking F1 rocket engines used on the Saturn V in the 1960s. Those engines were literally handmade, drawn up using paper and slide rules.

Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• Albacore 569
      Commander
      • Sep 2020

Wondering what you need all this for?...lol Or is it the intellectual stimulation? Building a miniature S5W reactor for your Sturgeon Class 637? lol. I was in the dental lab field for a long time, retired now. Lost wax casting is as old as the hills. If you need any green casting wax, look up f some local Dental Laboratories in your area. Also dental supply places on line can sell & deliver you some. The dental lab could even perhaps burnout in a casting ring the parts you want and cast for you in the metal you like, but they will probably want you to cast your parts in the same dental metals they use, so it doesn't contaminate their crucibles with a foreign metal reusing their crucibles for other castings.
      My French Arethuse has several lost wax dental metal castngs such as the curved air vent n the tp aft part of the boats sail.

Reflecting on older engineering like the F1 Engines or for that matter the SR-71 blackbird, it was all slide rules and ingenius engineering. Computers have made us all lazy I think. And no it wasn't ancient aliens either! LOL. Theoretical scientists, engineers, have to be logical, but the ones that standoout are te ones that possess imagination too. The thought processes are different, so whe you can get both, wow.

Te SR-71 there is junk on the internet saying we have a new super secret SR-71! Could they rebuild a new one? Yes, but what spec=d the huge amount of money? Everything about the SR-71 was so unique. The special fuels (you have the create a whole industry to make the special fuels alone. The specail aluminized tires for the landing gear even. Aluminum impregnated into the rubber so the tires wouldn't melt at mach 3.

I'd love to just have a one off 3 D printed hull I am hoping ti build after the Arethuse. Any takers? I'll pay.

Steve
      Last edited by Albacore 569; 05-14-2023, 12:25 PM.

Comment

Working...