Learning what home CNC machining is about....

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • QuarterMaster
    Rear Admiral
    • Sep 2015

Learning what home CNC machining is about....

Many tools are available today for the RC Submariner to choose from to aid in his build. Whether it’s a complete kit requiring simple hand tools, to a full blown scratch build where the craftsman fabricates molds made from a wooden plug turned on a lathe .

They evolved over the years from the humble X-Acto knife and razor saw, to full blown Fused Deposition Modeling (FDM) filament or Stereolithography (SLA) resin printers affordable for the hobbyist. Now the hard part comes from the steep learning curves involved with 3D Modeling software.

Don’t make the mistake that the craft of making has lessened, or lost something, it’s only changed. Arguing that these tools are making the user less of a craftsman is like saying a man using a hammer instead of a rock is cheating. Tools are tools, each with an application. We’re human, meant to evolve, and our tools should as well. Over time ANYONE can learn to use them should they choose to

A year or so ago I purchased a Snapmaker 2.0 A350 All-in-One Digital Fabricator. This all-in-one machine gives me the ability to use 3D printing (FDM), CNC, and laser cutting in one, compact workspace.

This video, and others forthcoming with the Machine, is NOT a “how to”, or a review of the machine. But rather my exploration of applications and possible uses of the technology involved. The good, bad and ugly as it presents itself. It only hopes to inspire what is possible when they lift the veil of “back in my day…..”.

Let's take a look at the Computer Numeric Code (CNC) function, what it’s really like to use, and how we can use this in our niche craft

Snapmaker 2.0 A350: Using the CNC Mode-Level The work Surface Part 1
    v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
    NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
    USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS
  • QuarterMaster
    Rear Admiral
    • Sep 2015

Part 2 of my first video series covering the Computer Numeric Code (CNC) function of the Snapmaker 2.0 A350 All-in-One Digital Fabricator.

We are leveling a spoil board to provide a true coplanar surface to the X-Y plane of the machine to rest the stock material on.

As my first time using this, lessons learned are provided as well.

Snapmaker 2.0 A350: Using the CNC Mode-Level The work Surface Part 2 with "Lessons Learned"
    v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
    NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
    USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

Working...