X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ken_NJ
    Captain
    • Sep 2014

Pouring a lead sailboat keel

It was mentioned in a few posts the types of lead ballast we use in models, tire balance weights, making our own etc. This video is from a channel that I follow. They are pouring a keel with 16-17,000 pounds of lead. I started it at the pour point. If you want to see them adding chunks of lead and melting it in the pot just rewind to the beginning. Most of the lead they used is from the original keel of the boat Leo is rebuilding. Interesting to see all that lead filling the mold at 620ish degrees. Next weeks video they will be removing the keel from the mold. I'll post that when it comes out.

Last edited by Ken_NJ; 02-13-2022, 07:00 AM.
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Now THAT'S a pour!!!!
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Ken_NJ
      Captain
      • Sep 2014

Here he is removing the lead keel from the mold. I never saw a power planer used on lead like he did. Makes for a nice surface. He also cuts a tenon on one end with a chainsaw & planer to mate the keel with the hull. Also fitting the keel to the boat.

Comment

• Bob Gato
        Captain
        • Feb 2019

Thanks for posting that , Ken.. I have been following Leo since day one and slowly fell by the wayside. I actually teared up when they briefly showed the Tally Ho floating and under way

Comment

Working...