X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • QuarterMaster
    Rear Admiral
    • Sep 2015

Crawling Down A Torpedo Tube -US NAVY Nuclear Submarine

....or is Dave Merriman really a human suppository?

Been there, done that myself (TM1 called me on my bluff, and it ended badly this way lol)

Wish they had Qual Training Video's like this back during my quals in '79, really shows the system and how it works.

For those that don't "Facebook".

Crawling Down A Torpedo Tube -US NAVY Nuclear Submarine - Smarter Every Day 241

The more you know....
    v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
    NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
    USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS
  • QuarterMaster
    Rear Admiral
    • Sep 2015

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

What? No trolley? Made life easier on the knees and elbows.

What was not shown was the ass-hole TM slamming the breech-door shut. Qualification is a *****!

David
    I don't remember seeing a "trolley" on GRANT, funny how that would make sense.

Then again I never had to service the tubes like you TM's did.

Thankfully the Lead PO, TM1 Floyd took me under his wing the day I reported aboard, and didn't close the door after my bluff was called lol.
    I woulda freaked! As a Bubble head, I have nor real claustrophobic issues, yet I was nervous in there, though I do regret not reaching the muzzle door to place my hand on it. Seemed miles away.

Now the MT's, they really messed with me! Nothing like going home after your first patrol and trying to convince your lady the hickey on your neck was the result of shipmate hazing by four deranged MT's and NOT a Scottish floozy. I'm just grateful they couldn't pry me out after that from under the Mess table after they threatened to grease me with something called Prussion Blue(?). Stayed there for 4 hours. Word must've gotten around the boat as the Old man walked by, saw me wrapped around the table stanchion, shook his head and kept walking. Slept with one eye open for three day's until we flew back.

But after that first Patrol, I was with the gang hazing the next group of Nub's who came aboard.

Ahhhh....Silent Service shenanigans!!
    v/r "Sub" Ed

USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• QuarterMaster
      Rear Admiral
      • Sep 2015

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

Hazing is (was) a vital 'selection process' tool. The tribe is weaker for its absence. You don't want to be stuck in a compartment, fighting a casualty, with a weak-sister at your elbow. Fear and physical abuse weeds out the useful from the dangerous.
      What they don't understand out here, is it's a form of caring....

People who can't handle it, won't ever need to worry about it. Lives won't be lost from fear and lack of action.
      v/r "Sub" Ed

Comment

Working...