X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • QuarterMaster
    Rear Admiral
    • Sep 2015

For the TM1 in the house...

I knew this would get your attention Dave!

I've been following this guy lately on YouTube, a former SQUID SonarTech who's served on at least one boat, maybe even went career. Now he apparently makes an online career SubSim Gaming (how I found him) and explaining all things "late model" Sub related on YouTube.

Hoping to get an opinion on how well he knows his stuff from our resident Torpedoman, or at least if you find these two interesting:

Analysis: Thermal Torpedo
    FWIW, this run time of only 35s tells me the target's within 3k yds. Agreed?

Russian Torpedoes and Decoys
    Not sure how worried I should be for our shipmates .

Pretty neat stuff for the uninitiated. His channel has a bunch of sound analysis, and related videos.
    v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
    NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
    USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by QuarterMaster
    I knew this would get your attention Dave!

I've been following this guy lately on YouTube, a former SQUID SonarTech who's served on at least one boat, maybe even went career. Now he apparently makes an online career SubSim Gaming (how I found him) and explaining all things "late model" Sub related on YouTube.

Hoping to get an opinion on how well he knows his stuff from our resident Torpedoman, or at least if you find these two interesting:

Analysis: Thermal Torpedo
    FWIW, this run time of only 35s tells me the target's within 3k yds. Agreed?

Russian Torpedoes and Decoys
    Not sure how worried I should be for our shipmates .

Pretty neat stuff for the uninitiated. His channel has a bunch of sound analysis, and related videos.
    On his video dealing with torpedoes he got some basic stuff wrong. I never heard of a production weapon using IR as a basses for homing. But, then again, I was de-briefed over thirty years ago. As far as I know the only way these things know where to go is gyro (steam fish and nuk's), Inertial (SubRoc), wire, acoustic or wake (pressure differential or sonar). No IR as water is pretty opaque to that portion of the spectrum.

The guy's never met a doughnut he didn't like. Typical Sonar-shack denizen.

He's a wealth of knowledge when it comes to TMA and sound propagation. But other than that, he's trapped in the video world of make-believe. Not ever my cup of tea (unless I get paid to help the movie/TV industry play make believe).

David
    TM2 (SS/DV) Ret. And still dumber than a box of rocks!
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• 598602G
      Captain
      • Jan 2017

Don't be bagging on us ping jockies. The shack was the smart part of boats.

Comment

• QuarterMaster
        Rear Admiral
        • Sep 2015

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

On his video dealing with torpedoes he got some basic stuff wrong. I never heard of a production weapon using IR as a basses for homing. But, then again, I was de-briefed over thirty years ago. As far as I know the only way these things know where to go is gyro (steam fish and nuk's), Inertial (SubRoc), wire, acoustic or wake (pressure differential or sonar). No IR as water is pretty opaque to that portion of the spectrum.

The guy's never met a doughnut he didn't like. Typical Sonar-shack denizen.

He's a wealth of knowledge when it comes to TMA and sound propagation. But other than that, he's trapped in the video world of make-believe. Not ever my cup of tea (unless I get paid to help the movie/TV industry play make believe).

David
        TM2 (SS/DV) Ret. And still dumber than a box of rocks!
        I thought the IR was a tad sci-fi, maybe with the MSW discharge flowing back creating a trail, but I doubt something moving at 40-50kts would detect a trail as it pass through it, but I would think the heat delta's going to b to small as it passes through said trail to know which way is "upstream". But the thermal energy off the hull of a moving boat then dissipating in the water?? Like you said, opaque. unless your within single digit yards I would think. The boat's in its own thermal soaker, am I wrong? Would have to be awfully sensitive, causing other issues not worth resolving as opposed to good old acoustics tech.

Ping baby PING!

Hey, at least it gave us a topic lol.

Thanks!
        v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
        NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
        USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

Working...