X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • QuarterMaster
    Rear Admiral
    • Sep 2015

More "Combat Ready" Russian Federation Submarine Documentaries:

I see this is the correct forum to put these.

After stumbling across the "The Beast Division", I decided to search YouTube for more of the RT Documentary COMBAT READY Video's for further insight on how "the other side thinks."

It's common knowledge that many RC Submariners here like Dave and myself served in the Silent Service during the height of the cold war. We experienced "our" side of the looming Red threat to Democracy. Our sacrifices for those at home made more poignant by not being able to truly share what we experienced, and what we were told.

As a Quartermaster, I was made "Intel Publications PO" on the GRANT, where this 18 yo at the time had access to some pretty neat stuff regarding then Soviet Navy. Believe you me, it was pretty cool.

But I always wondered, pondering deep thoughts such as this sitting before the Chart table in the Attack Center on a Mid-watch somewhere lost in the North Atlantic....."What is my 18 yo counterpart doing on his YANKEE Class Ballistic Missile Sub right now?" Me from Yonkers NY, him from somewhere like Leningrad. Is the Control Room similar? Are the watches split the same? Do they have 4 meals a day as well? What are the interiors painted like? Do they favor that sea foam green paint that supposedly makes people calm for long duration's in enclosed spaces? Do they have that wood paneling in areas like we do? How about Drills? EAB's. What do their alarms sound like?

My counterpart, did he have to qualify like I did? Does he believe in what he's doing like I do? Can he go hang out with the Mess cooks to get fresh sticky buns out of the oven (a favorite midwatch activity of mine as food always is). He have a girl waiting for him back in Leningrad? Best friend? Dog? His family, are they as proud of him as mine are of me? Could I share a beer with him, or is he a monster because his mission is to destroy continents should he be ordered to do so? As I would without a moments hesitation, because I am a US Submariner who made a pledge to defend the Constitution and this Country.

Apparently I had a lot of time on a midwatch.

But the point really is, I wondered what it would be like at sea aboard the "enemies" advanced platform, from his point of view.

Here are another two video's giving insight. Whether or not how "valid" the propaganda portion is (as Hollywood has dramatized us..Crimson Tide anyone?), it gives their point of view.

Jack Ryan: [in Russian] A little. It is wise to study the ways of one's adversary. Don't you think?

Captain Ramius: [in English] It is.

The commentator has an excellent command of the English language so you can tell it's directed at the west. But put ideology aside, it's a great insight into the "other side". Plus the modelers eye can catch quite a few details for our craft. You're actually taken inside their design bureau where they have a lot of static models on display

I'm lucky enough to have a Samsung 65" 4k Smart TV I can view YouTube on to truly enjoy these. BYW Bob...the RC Sub-Guy video's look great on it. I highly recommend waiting for everyone else to crash at night, putting on your headphones, and enjoy.

PROJECT 885 Yasen-M: Destroyer of the Depths. Potent electronic weapons & supersonic missiles
    Some interesting material on metallurgy.

PROJECT 667, a BDR Kalmar-class (Delta III) K-433 Svyatoy Georgiy Pobedonosets: Nuclear Triad Workhorse
    Here we get to look into some of thier electronics, including the towed array itself. Some of you know I'm a PCB Designer by trade, so it was pretty cool to see the inside of a PCB Assembly room and see their Pick-n-place equipment, Surface Mount reflow ovens as well as some close looks at the boards themselves. Modern and clean equipment. Granted it's a documentary and why would they not show their best. But then again why do I underestimate their capabilities? After all we both buy MyData an Toshiba assembly equipment from Japan lol.

My take on all this.....after all the Cold war, the dude I pondered about in their control room, was just an 18 yo sailor like me, with a girl, a dog, and family anxiously waiting for us to come home.
    Last edited by QuarterMaster; 02-02-2019, 12:03 PM.
    v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
    NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
    USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Well written, Ed. And bang on point. We were -- if the balloon ever went up -- all Monsters.

The Soviets/Russian's are still our advisories and I continue to wish their sailors and war-machines ill. KURSK was a good start.

David
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...