• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • QuarterMaster
    Rear Admiral
    • Sep 2015

SEAVIEW Observation Room Video Test

2 minute proof of concept on the 80" DeBoer SEAVIEW
    Details from actual position, interior decor and lighting TBD.
    SEAVIEW VIDEO TEST
    "Sub" Ed
    v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
    NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
    USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Try these on for size, Ed:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dsc_0039.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	110389

Name:	DSC_0050.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	110390

Name:	DSC_0057.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	110391

Name:	DSC_0064.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	110392

Name:	DSC_0074.JPG
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	110393

Name:	DSCN0002.JPG
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	110394

Name:	DSCN0026.JPG
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	110395

Name:	DSCN0068.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	110396

Name:	DSCN0079.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	110397

Name:	DSCN0186.JPG
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	110398
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• QuarterMaster
      Rear Admiral
      • Sep 2015

That's awesome lol!
      And I thought Ray's comment after he saw the video, "You need to add bubble effects to the windows" was a bit edgy!!

While I can contemplate bringing it to this level, here are the problems I'm confronted with.......
      1-Free flood the Observation room (the easiest) or actually keep it dry?
      I've tried for YEARS to engineer something to seal the Windows, but never had luck. Difficult to form and attach as DeBoer just recommended a piece of Acrylic and form it with a heat gun, I could NEVER get it right. That's why I chose thin, translucent stock to cover it and just lit it with "Red Battle Lantern" look when running at night.
      Keeping it dry would prevent the unrealistic "Why is the water on this side of the windows?" when at the surface trying to get that moving through the water look from the movie/series.

I always contemplated vacuum forming a thin, transparent chamber that conforms to the inner profile and is removable. a WHOLE OTHER project and learning curve. What material to choose, how thick, casting the inner surface, etc.

2-Running Model vs Static Model: Due to the inherent nature of bumps, dings I've always shied away from the "delicacy" of intricate detail. But a removable room would help with that. BTW, no real display in the house anyway! Not YET at least!!

Regardless, this IS cool and gives food for thought,

v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
      NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
      USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by QuarterMaster
        That's awesome lol!
        And I thought Ray's comment after he saw the video, "You need to add bubble effects to the windows" was a bit edgy!!

While I can contemplate bringing it to this level, here are the problems I'm confronted with.......
        1-Free flood the Observation room (the easiest) or actually keep it dry?
        I've tried for YEARS to engineer something to seal the Windows, but never had luck. Difficult to form and attach as DeBoer just recommended a piece of Acrylic and form it with a heat gun, I could NEVER get it right. That's why I chose thin, translucent stock to cover it and just lit it with "Red Battle Lantern" look when running at night.
        Keeping it dry would prevent the unrealistic "Why is the water on this side of the windows?" when at the surface trying to get that moving through the water look from the movie/series.

I always contemplated vacuum forming a thin, transparent chamber that conforms to the inner profile and is removable. a WHOLE OTHER project and learning curve. What material to choose, how thick, casting the inner surface, etc.

2-Running Model vs Static Model: Due to the inherent nature of bumps, dings I've always shied away from the "delicacy" of intricate detail. But a removable room would help with that. BTW, no real display in the house anyway! Not YET at least!!

Regardless, this IS cool and gives food for thought,

Wet!

M....................
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Rick Teskey
          Lieutenant Commander
          • Jan 2009

Think snow globe

Comment

Working...