X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • george
    Captain
    • Dec 2010

Torpedoe Size Information Help

Hello, I had this posted in the General Section, 33 views and Nothing! So here goes;

To ALL the membership. Could someone tell me what would be the size of a WWII British Torpedoe, U.S Torpedoe and a German Torpedoe that would have been launched from the various countries P.T Boats of that period in 1/35 scale, I just need the outside dimensions in 1/35 Please. If you have any pictures, that would be great as well. Would like to have some possible working scale like torpedoes for my 1/35 Italerie S-100, Vosper etc. boats.

Thanks for Your Help.

George
  • Slats
    Vice Admiral
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by george
    Hello, I had this posted in the General Section, 33 views and Nothing! So here goes;

To ALL the membership. Could someone tell me what would be the size of a WWII British Torpedoe, U.S Torpedoe and a German Torpedoe that would have been launched from the various countries P.T Boats of that period in 1/35 scale, I just need the outside dimensions in 1/35 Please. If you have any pictures, that would be great as well. Would like to have some possible working scale like torpedoes for my 1/35 Italerie S-100, Vosper etc. boats.

Thanks for Your Help.

George
    Too easy - here are some resources - take the dimensions and divide by 35.
    From wikipedia:
    here is the S100 page - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-boat
    here is the British Torpedo boat page - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_Torpedo_Boat
    here is the German Torpedoes data page from WW2 - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...oes_of_Germany
    here is the link to the British 21" series of torpedoes (533mm) - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_21_inch_torpedo
    here is the link to the US PT boats - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PT_boat
    here is the link to the US torpedoes used in WW2 by PT boats Mk 8 torpedo - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_8_torpedo

You will note that 21" or 533mm is pretty much the standard size used by all forces in WW2 and is pretty much the standard size used today by sub forces internationally with the exception of Russians and their friends who tend to use 26" / 650mm tubes.

J
    John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
    Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• george
      Captain
      • Dec 2010

Hi Slats

Thanks for your FAST help. Can you tell me if my math proceedure is right? I took all Measurements, coverted them to inches then divided that by 35 to get my sizes for my 1/35 scale torpedoes. Is that the right way to do this?

Thanks Again Slats.

George

Comment

• Slats
        Vice Admiral
        • Aug 2008

Hi Slats

Thanks for your FAST help. Can you tell me if my math proceedure is right? I took all Measurements, coverted them to inches then divided that by 35 to get my sizes for my 1/35 scale torpedoes. Is that the right way to do this?

Thanks Again Slats.

George
        Hi George,
        yes that's valid. All scale calculations are simply the real world (1/1 scale) divided by the scale you want. Weather you want to work in imperial measurements inches etc or metric is entirely up to you.

But here is a tip : IME it is far easier to build scale features on scale models working in mm. Saves eye strain looking at fractions of an inch on a ruler.

J
        John Slater

Sydney Australia

Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• george
          Captain
          • Dec 2010

Hi Slats

That is a Good Point.

Thanks Again for All Your Help. BTW would you happen to know what the standard WWII Axis and Allied Torpedoe paint colours were?

George

Comment

• Slats
            Vice Admiral
            • Aug 2008

Hi Slats

That is a Good Point.

Thanks Again for All Your Help. BTW would you happen to know what the standard WWII Axis and Allied Torpedoe paint colours were?

George
            David paints his working 1/72 gas torpedoes Silver or Green (the former representative of WW2 fish, the later modern types). For working model Fish Silver is my preference as I can see them better. As far as did WW2 jobs have different colours to Silver a good guess would be yes, but stick with Silver as a default option.
            John Slater

Sydney Australia

sigpic

Comment

• george
              Captain
              • Dec 2010

Thanks Slats, you helped alot.

I see by a search that you in the past were looking at a Typhoon hull, what ever happened with that?

George

Comment

• Slats
                Vice Admiral
                • Aug 2008

Thanks Slats, you helped alot.

I see by a search that you in the past were looking at a Typhoon hull, what ever happened with that?

George
                Lost interest
                John Slater

Sydney Australia

sigpic

Comment

• george
                  Captain
                  • Dec 2010

Torpedo propeller question

From the WWII Torpedoes, they had counter rotating propellers, were they each two bladed or three bladed propellers. Also the inner propeller, the one near the body of the torpedo, did it rotate clockwise or counter clockwise?

Thanks
                  George
                  Last edited by george; 06-12-2014, 10:29 PM.

Comment

• george
                    Captain
                    • Dec 2010

Need confirmation Help
                    Hello again
                    I am getting everything together to start to make my torps. One in 1/35 for my P.T boats and the other for a small 1/96 submarine so I need my math to be double checked.
                    I have decided to go with a generic one size for ALL my WWII PT Boats; US, British, German

1/35 -- 21" == 533mm dia. ==== 533 / 35 === 15.23mm dia. Finished
                    23.5` == 7162.8mm L ==== 7162.8 / 35 == 204.65mm Long Finished

1/96 -- 533 / 96 === 5.55mm dia. Finished
                    7162.8 / 96 === 74.62mm Long Finished

Question, how`s my math? Did I forget anything?

ALSO on WWII Torpedos, when you look from the rear of the torp. forward, the propellers near the torp. body, what direction do they turn? Then the outer propellers turn the opposite direction. How Many blades does each propeller have?

I can`t see them clear enough from my research pictures.

Please let me know.

Thanks for your Help.
                    George

Comment

• george
                      Captain
                      • Dec 2010

Hello

Any chance someone with experience can tell me if my scale math calculations are correct, please.
                      Thanks
                      George

Comment

• gantu
                        Commander
                        • Apr 2009

Regards Gantu

Comment

• george
                          Captain
                          • Dec 2010

Hi Gantu
                          Thank You for the pictures. I finally was able to see in the last picture that there are 4 blades per propeller. Any chance you know which set turns in which direction? Looking from the rear of the torpedo forward?

Thanks Again Gantu
                          George

Comment

• trout
                            Admiral
                            • Jul 2011

Forward set is clock-wise and the rear most set is counter clock-wise
                            If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• george
                              Captain
                              • Dec 2010

Hi trout

Thanks for your help here. One more question, how is my math shown above? Did I do the conversion correctly? Let me know.
                              Thanks again
                              George

Comment

Working...