X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• george
    replied
    Hi Nick
    Thanks for posting more of your work.
    Could you tell us the source/link for the timer circuit?
    Thanks
    George

Leave a comment:

• Monahan Steam Models
    replied
    Added a horizontal spinning flywheel type gyro driven off the prop shaft just to see what it would do to the running dynamics
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Monahan Steam Models
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	0E49B47A-DBFE-4480-AE8C-FE0E54B02F21.jpeg
Views:	348
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	141325Click image for larger version

Name:	CFAA14A3-FE89-4D46-93E7-9819394972DD.jpeg
Views:	353
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	141324Click image for larger version

Name:	4CD826A7-0516-4777-94F1-FC7D6FF6F7B1.jpeg
Views:	416
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	141323 A couple more photos from today of the G7A type torpedo. Close up of the tail fin detail. The set fitted currently has slightly angled rudders and planes to induce spin.

The next design I plan to test will be the G7E style tail fin design once I complete the CAD drawings.

Leave a comment:

• Monahan Steam Models
    replied
    It’s on the sub committee’s FB page like I said in the earlier post....

Leave a comment:

• george
    replied
    Can you post a link to where in FB the video is?

Leave a comment:

• trout
    replied
    Yeah love your fish vs torpedo video.

Leave a comment:

• Monahan Steam Models
    replied
    Testing time. Haven’t been able to upload videos directly to this forum but I posted a video on the subcommittees Facebook page of the first wet test in the pond. Worth watching if you’re on there. Hilarious. Fire tube one, contact, fish sunk
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• george
    replied
    Originally posted by Monahan Steam Models
    Unfortunately these are the largest size photos I have been able to upload without getting a “file too large” error message when posting.

The propeller is going to be a 3 blade design that I modeled in CAD from scratch. Have not been able to find a suitable size off the shelf produced propeller other than what can be found in small plastic ship models. I’m a mechanical engineer so it’s just easier for me sometimes to just design and build parts from scratch then try to search for a needle in the haystack.
    Would you be willing to send Larger pictures to my main email? Message me if yes and I can pass it on privately.
    Thanks Nick
    George

Leave a comment:

• Bob Gato
    replied
    It was an experiment at 1:64. Capacitor power, magnetic reed switch, composite body tube- with cap you don't need timer circuit or battery...but you do need to charge after every run-but charging takes 30 seconds! The smaller you go the more problematic the weight becomes. You want the torp to just float level when dead in the water Also check out the launch and charging system : https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-give-it-a-try
    Last edited by Bob Gato; 06-24-2020, 10:15 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Monahan Steam Models
    replied
    Nice work Bob! I’ve used cut down 2 blade drone props and they work pretty good. I wasn’t aware there are also 3 blade ones available. What scale is your torpedo?

Leave a comment:

• Bob Gato
    replied
    Consider micro drone props-I am using 2 blade but you can get 3 blade also ...https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...5&postcount=15 -BG Click image for larger version

Name:	P3280033.jpg
Views:	1050
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	141040

Leave a comment:

• Monahan Steam Models
    replied
    Unfortunately these are the largest size photos I have been able to upload without getting a “file too large” error message when posting.

The propeller is going to be a 3 blade design that I modeled in CAD from scratch. Have not been able to find a suitable size off the shelf produced propeller other than what can be found in small plastic ship models. I’m a mechanical engineer so it’s just easier for me sometimes to just design and build parts from scratch then try to search for a needle in the haystack.

Leave a comment:

• george
    replied
    Ah o.k then.
    Can I ask you if you could post larger size pictures of the Torpedo body and guts?
    What kind of propeller are you using? From where did you find it or did you design it?

Thanks Nick for sharing your work here.
    George

Leave a comment:

• Monahan Steam Models
    replied
    Not at this time George. I’m still developing and testing the design and building process. If the design is successful, my original plan was to give it to Bob at Nautilus Drydocks first for him to decide what to do with it.

Leave a comment:

• george
    replied
    Would you be willing to share the 3D files for the torpedo? Let me know. Thanks

Leave a comment:

Working...