Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Monahan Steam Models
    Captain
    • Apr 2020

Click image for larger version  Name:	9315F7EA-78DB-46E2-B7B9-342ACF10389B.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	68.6 KB ID:	144147Click image for larger version  Name:	EB2C82B2-B5EF-4EE7-9EB7-581BDFDADB71.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	66.1 KB ID:	144146Click image for larger version  Name:	A506D16C-D7B6-40F9-8FD8-96677BAFFB33.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	66.3 KB ID:	144145Click image for larger version  Name:	21E3AAB6-C976-4D73-8881-1CE375D01B56.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	64.7 KB ID:	144144Click image for larger version  Name:	C0982C1B-55D3-4A3C-9AFD-693DBC83A0E8.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	63.7 KB ID:	144143

Made some progress on the the starboard side tubes and door mechanisms

Comment

• george
      Captain
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Monahan Steam Models
      David, After some searching I found the company that makes the miniature solenoid valves that you used in your meticulous crafted torpedo launchers that used this tech. Thank you again for taking the time to share the amazing work you’ve accomplished. I can see the fruits of the many hours you’ve spent developing these mechanisms.

Link to the solenoids:
      https://www.theleeco.com/products/el...es/lhd-series/

I like these over the Clippard 7mm and 8mm miniature solenoid valves I was looking at earlier and considering using. They’re available in a voltage already compatible with the TCP unit for starters. No need to boost the voltage signal to use the Clippard units.

Ordered a few to test them out. Look forward to getting them in a week or so. Will still need to work out the designs for the pneumatic cylinders, linkages and launch valves with the basic desired functionality logic I posted earlier. The years I spent developing and producing miniature engines has got my brain working over time thinking of all the mechanical valve possibilities to make the logic work. Fun!

Can you tell me how is the solenoid actually connected to a pressure cylinder? If I wanted to operate two items? What is the Max. pressure the cylinder can be OR do you have to reduce the pressure going to the solenoid? I was thinking about another application where pellet gun disposable cylinders could be used as the pressure supply.

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
        Captain
        • Apr 2020

A manifold would need to be made with tube connections for these specific valves as they are designed to be face mount. Can’t comment on the max cylinder pressure but these valves are rated for 15psi max. A pressure regulator would need to be used if you plan to use disposable Co2 cartridges. This is what I originally had in mind to charge the pneumatic torpedo system but I’m not sure if I am going to pursue that anymore.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
          • Aug 2008

A manifold would need to be made with tube connections for these specific valves as they are designed to be face mount. Can’t comment on the max cylinder pressure but these valves are rated for 15psi max. A pressure regulator would need to be used if you plan to use disposable Co2 cartridges. This is what I originally had in mind to charge the pneumatic torpedo system but I’m not sure if I am going to pursue that anymore.
          I produced resin manifold blanks (already ported for those little solenoids). Could I fix you up with one?

Click image for larger version

Name:	061.JPG
Views:	292
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	144162Click image for larger version

Name:	006 (2).JPG
Views:	249
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	144163Click image for larger version

Name:	023 (2).JPG
Views:	290
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	144164Click image for larger version

Name:	032 (2).JPG
Views:	247
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	144165Click image for larger version

Name:	034 (4).JPG
Views:	244
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	144166Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6651.JPG
Views:	250
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	144167Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6650.JPG
Views:	234
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	144168Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0033.JPG
Views:	257
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	144169Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0035.JPG
Views:	254
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	144170Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0043.JPG
Views:	243
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	144171Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0041.JPG
Views:	247
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	144172

David
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
            Captain
            • Apr 2020

If you have extra manifolds on hand, I’d love to purchase one from you

Comment

• Aug 2008

If you have extra manifolds on hand, I’d love to purchase one from you
              I'll check the sheds -- they're somewhere I hope. Will get back to you on this.

David
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
                Captain
                • Apr 2020

Thank you Sir!

Comment

• george
                  Captain
                  • Dec 2010

Could you Sir; HWSNBN tell me where those solenoids 2 port or 3 port versions you used?
                  Could I also get 3 manifolds that hold 2 solenoids each? Let me know the cost.
                  Please/ Thank You
                  George
                  Last edited by george; 10-05-2020, 05:50 PM.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

I'll check the sheds -- they're somewhere I hope. Will get back to you on this.

David
                    Success! Found an old manifold blank -- good for many solenoids closely mounted together, as well as a five solenoid manifold complete with nipples and mounting hardware.

I've got pounds of torpedo and launcher stuff rotting in the sheds -- it all will wind up in a landfill eventually. Anything else I can slip into the box for you?

Name:	034 (4).JPG
Views:	273
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	144201Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6650.JPG
Views:	245
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	144202

E-mail me your mailing address and I'll get them off to you tomorrow. dmeriman@aol.com

Love your work, sir.

David
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
                      Captain
                      • Apr 2020

That’s awesome! Thank you so much sir! I just sent you an email. Btw, the solenoid valves showed up earlier than expected. Arrived this afternoon. Wow they are tiny when you see them in person!

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
                        Captain
                        • Apr 2020

George, they are 3 port

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
                          Captain
                          • Apr 2020

Name:	6D198BE8-A560-44AF-925F-618E124F84EC.jpeg
Views:	271
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	144209Click image for larger version

Name:	50CF3DD0-D404-4BA7-AFA5-0C32E5B465A5.jpeg
Views:	296
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	144208Click image for larger version

Name:	3C9355A5-E51D-44BE-BA71-F1671FB67D94.jpeg
Views:	310
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	144207

Neat little cartridge type poppet valve that showed up today made by Clippard. Fits and seals nicely inside 13/32” K&S brass tubing. At this stage of the launch tube design, this is what I’m thinking of using to send compressed air to each tube once the pneumatic piston opens that tube’s door.

The pie in the sky idea here is to somewhat isolate each stage of the launch sequence for each tube. I’m trying to get as Rube Goldberg as I can here.

The launch tubes have a floating piston inside of them that the tail of the torpedo locks into via a slight interference fit on the tail fins. The velocity at which the piston reaches the end of its travel in the tube allows the torpedo to continue forward while the piston stops in the tube due to the force on it switching from pressure pushing to vacuum stopping. I know from tests it take 20ml of low pressure air to push the torpedo out of the tube without sending the floating piston Inside the tube with it due to this effect demonstrated in earlier posted videos.

My ideal situation would be to isolate the stored air for the piston tube launch circuit with a poppet valve. This way I can pre charge each tube with a measured amount of low pressure compressed air that will be released to the tube once the poppet valve is triggered.

If I can accomplish this the high pressure side of the launch mechanism will limited to just the pneumatic pistons and solenoids for opening each tube’s doors before triggering the poppet valve. Yes this could be done a lot simpler with springs in the tubes and linear solenoids to open the doors but.....

Comment

• george
                            Captain
                            • Dec 2010

That’s awesome! Thank you so much sir! I just sent you an email. Btw, the solenoid valves showed up earlier than expected. Arrived this afternoon. Wow they are tiny when you see them in person!
                            Could you tell me from whom did you order them from? What was the price? Any company contact information you can share also.
                            Thanks

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
                              Captain
                              • Apr 2020

Originally posted by george

Could you tell me from whom did you order them from? What was the price? Any company contact information you can share also.
                              Thanks
                              George,

I found them on flea bay. Here’s a link:

Comment

• george
                                Captain
                                • Dec 2010

George,

I found them on flea bay. Here’s a link:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lee-Company...e-9f9128be6465
                                Thank You very much for the info/help.
                                George

Comment

Working...