X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Monahan Steam Models
    Captain
    • Apr 2020

1/48 G7 Torpedos

Some parts for the 1/48 scale G7 torpedos I’ve been designing and gathering parts for, for my type VII build. Hoping to be able to finish the first prototype soon and if successful, test it
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Monahan Steam Models; 06-20-2020, 02:03 PM.
  • george
    Captain
    • Dec 2010

Hi, is the tail and nose 3D printed? IF so, your file or from where? Nice looking so far.

Comment

• a1965l
      Lieutenant Commander
      • Apr 2020

Following with interest. I have a 1/48 type IX waiting in the wings...
      "It does not take so many words to speak the truth" Chief Joseph

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
        Captain
        • Apr 2020

George,

Thank you, but nothing new here that hasn’t already been done by many others before me. The nose and tail pieces are 3D printed parts I printed that I may or may not use as masters for resin pieces if needed. The design files for these pieces are mine that I created in CAD using declassified blueprints of G7A and G7E torpedoes.

Nick

Sneak peek of the almost finished guts
        Attached Files

Comment

• george
          Captain
          • Dec 2010

Hi Nick
          I sent you a private message.
          George

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
            Captain
            • Apr 2020

Got the the internal chassis designed and printed yesterday that the motor, timer module, reed switch and LiPo mount to and keeps everything tidy and concentric to the rest of the parts. Tested the finished assembled chassis and everything worked as it should. Ran for 5 seconds then shut off. Just need to finish the tail fin section and mount the prop and prop shaft. Then hopefully do some wet testing after the ballasting is checked.
            Attached Files

Comment

• george
              Captain
              • Dec 2010

Would you be willing to share the 3D files for the torpedo? Let me know. Thanks

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
                Captain
                • Apr 2020

Not at this time George. I’m still developing and testing the design and building process. If the design is successful, my original plan was to give it to Bob at Nautilus Drydocks first for him to decide what to do with it.

Comment

• george
                  Captain
                  • Dec 2010

Ah o.k then.
                  Can I ask you if you could post larger size pictures of the Torpedo body and guts?
                  What kind of propeller are you using? From where did you find it or did you design it?

Thanks Nick for sharing your work here.
                  George

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
                    Captain
                    • Apr 2020

Unfortunately these are the largest size photos I have been able to upload without getting a “file too large” error message when posting.

The propeller is going to be a 3 blade design that I modeled in CAD from scratch. Have not been able to find a suitable size off the shelf produced propeller other than what can be found in small plastic ship models. I’m a mechanical engineer so it’s just easier for me sometimes to just design and build parts from scratch then try to search for a needle in the haystack.

Comment

• Bob Gato
                      Captain
                      • Feb 2019

Consider micro drone props-I am using 2 blade but you can get 3 blade also ...https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...5&postcount=15 -BG Click image for larger version

Name:	P3280033.jpg
Views:	1038
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	141040

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
                        Captain
                        • Apr 2020

Nice work Bob! I’ve used cut down 2 blade drone props and they work pretty good. I wasn’t aware there are also 3 blade ones available. What scale is your torpedo?

Comment

• Bob Gato
                          Captain
                          • Feb 2019

It was an experiment at 1:64. Capacitor power, magnetic reed switch, composite body tube- with cap you don't need timer circuit or battery...but you do need to charge after every run-but charging takes 30 seconds! The smaller you go the more problematic the weight becomes. You want the torp to just float level when dead in the water Also check out the launch and charging system : https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-give-it-a-try
                          Last edited by Bob Gato; 06-24-2020, 10:15 PM.

Comment

• george
                            Captain
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Monahan Steam Models
                            Unfortunately these are the largest size photos I have been able to upload without getting a “file too large” error message when posting.

The propeller is going to be a 3 blade design that I modeled in CAD from scratch. Have not been able to find a suitable size off the shelf produced propeller other than what can be found in small plastic ship models. I’m a mechanical engineer so it’s just easier for me sometimes to just design and build parts from scratch then try to search for a needle in the haystack.
                            Would you be willing to send Larger pictures to my main email? Message me if yes and I can pass it on privately.
                            Thanks Nick
                            George

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
                              Captain
                              • Apr 2020

Testing time. Haven’t been able to upload videos directly to this forum but I posted a video on the subcommittees Facebook page of the first wet test in the pond. Worth watching if you’re on there. Hilarious. Fire tube one, contact, fish sunk
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...