X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Buellman1
    Lieutenant
    • Mar 2013

Carbon fiber masts and such.

I'm assembling a 1/144 Kilo and realizing the various masts, antennas and such are what really make the model realistic. The plastic ones in the kit certainly won't survive any misguided hand. I'm also trying to keep the topside weight down because my rcabs wtc doesn't lift much. I'm still in the early stages, but it looks like its going to work.

I cut the desired diameter rod to length. Put a dab of CA on the bottom and set it off with baking soda. Then I install it from the inside of the hull. Hanging the deck upside down, I set my alignment and CA it to the sub.
    Attached Files
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

You make the masts too strong and in a collision with a boat bottom you tear up the sail. Think: Shear-Pin! Easier to fix masts than the sail.

David
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Buellman1
      Lieutenant
      • Mar 2013

That seems reasonable David, but on this particular sub I'm in the belief of it being the best way to do it. The array of antennas and masts are strong enough now to bounce the sub out of the way of an intrusion of space. I've permantly attached the sail on this Kilo and can lift the whole deck in any position with any of the masts.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Buellman1
        That seems reasonable David, but on this particular sub I'm in the belief of it being the best way to do it. The array of antennas and masts are strong enough now to bounce the sub out of the way of an intrusion of space. I've permantly attached the sail on this Kilo and can lift the whole deck in any position with any of the masts.
        Fair enough.
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Buellman1
          Lieutenant
          • Mar 2013

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	77151Tested it in the pond and decided it needs the forward planes. I have since installed them and didn't break anything off.

Comment

• redboat219
            Admiral
            • Dec 2008

What sort of dive system are you using?
            Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• Buellman1
              Lieutenant
              • Mar 2013

Its a RCABS system with a weak pump it seems. The ballast is only large enough to raise the sail out of the water. It drops to sail awash and then I dynamic dive it from there. Without the forward planes it takes a long time to dive and almost impossible to level.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Which points out the major problem with air filled bags .... so much more room is needed to achieve the same displacement as compared to a system employing a more traditional type ballast tank.

David
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• redboat219
                  Admiral
                  • Dec 2008

Either your WTC has insufficient volume to supply air or your bag is too small. Can you post photos of your WTC?
                  Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• Buellman1
                    Lieutenant
                    • Mar 2013

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	77162It's a wtc I found on EBay long before I found this site.

Comment

Working...