X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bob Gato
    Captain
    • Feb 2019

Domino Junction Block

A while back I was asked about how I handled connections in the wet. I use gold plated 2mm banana pins...I use two tiny blocks of Azek and drill 6 #40 holes in their face then I take twelve female pins and high temp silver solder them together back to back. I soft solder together 3 sets of these double pins with wire to provide a common connection between 3 pairs of pins and press them into the azek using a sliver cut piece of Azek as a 1/8" spacer . Then the block is potted with epoxy and sanded smooth. the male pins are soldered to their wires and coated with epoxy and covered with heat shrink tube -taking care not to bind up the swivel tips on the male pins. This block makes an easy disconnect and reconnect for 6 wet circuits (in my case 3 positive and 3 negative) when doing maintenance-BG

Click image for larger version  Name:	PC270003.jpg Views:	0 Size:	33.2 KB ID:	168062Click image for larger version  Name:	PC270008.jpg Views:	0 Size:	27.3 KB ID:	168063Click image for larger version  Name:	PC270005.jpg Views:	0 Size:	33.1 KB ID:	168064
    Bonus info...I color code the block and other connections in the sub by painting 500MPH aluminum tape (or aluminum air duct tape) with paint and punch the circles out with a hole punch-then peel and stick...

Last edited by Bob Gato; 12-27-2022, 05:32 PM.
  • Marylandradiosailor
    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
    • Nov 2021

Hi Bob, do you have any photo's of the block in application in the subs? (trying to envision it's use) thanks.

Comment

• Bob Gato
      Captain
      • Feb 2019

Sure... I used two of these blocks to run main power from my battery WTC back to my ESC in the wet and for main power to the input leads to my electronics WTC also I connect to main power on for my nav lights to indicate the ship's Master is in the on position...Sit tight for a few days the holiday crunch has kept me out of the boat yard in the basement... I'll get you some pictures soon..
      Last edited by Bob Gato; 12-27-2022, 06:32 PM.

Comment

• rwtdiver
        Vice Admiral
        • Feb 2019

Originally posted by Bob Gato
        A while back I was asked about how I handled connections in the wet. I use gold plated 2mm banana pins...I use two tiny blocks of Azek and drill 6 #40 holes in their face then I take twelve female pins and high temp silver solder them together back to back. I soft solder together 3 sets of these double pins with wire to provide a common connection between 3 pairs of pins and press them into the azek using a sliver cut piece of Azek as a 1/8" spacer . Then the block is potted with epoxy and sanded smooth. the male pins are soldered to their wires and coated with epoxy and covered with heat shrink tube -taking care not to bind up the swivel tips on the male pins. This block makes an easy disconnect and reconnect for 6 wet circuits (in my case 3 positive and 3 negative) when doing maintenance-BG

Click image for larger version Name:	PC270003.jpg Views:	0 Size:	33.2 KB ID:	168062Click image for larger version Name:	PC270008.jpg Views:	0 Size:	27.3 KB ID:	168063Click image for larger version Name:	PC270005.jpg Views:	0 Size:	33.1 KB ID:	168064
        Bonus info...I color code the block and other connections in the sub by painting 500MPH aluminum tape (or aluminum air duct tape) with paint and punch the circles out with a hole punch-then peel and stick...

Nice design and fabrication work Bob! Is the Azek block similar to resin board?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e=UTF8&th= 1

Rob
        "Firemen can stand the heat."

Comment

• Bob Gato
          Captain
          • Feb 2019

I'm not sure Rob... That resin block seems it might be pretty heavy if I had to guess I'd say that was similar to micarta...Azek is PVC trim board that comes in dimensional sizes for exterior trim on houses and buildings... It is slightly positively buoyant, totally waterproof , it is easily machined and takes paint well and can be glued by almost any adhesive... It can be purchased in any of the big box home improvement stores.

Comment

• Bob Gato
            Captain
            • Feb 2019

Originally posted by Marylandradiosailor
            Hi Bob, do you have any photo's of the block in application in the subs? (trying to envision it's use) thanks.
            I promised a picture:
            your sub is undoubtedly a whole different animal so your application might require some imagination...

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030018.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	168286

Comment

• Marylandradiosailor
              Lieutenant, Junior Grade
              • Nov 2021

Originally posted by Bob Gato

I promised a picture:
              your sub is undoubtedly a whole different animal so your application might require some imagination...

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030018.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	168286
              Thx for the picture. (somehow I missed it to now)..

Comment

Working...