X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bob Gato
    Captain
    • Feb 2019

How I Do Underwater Decals

As you might know I make my own decals...but on a sub , all that water could be problematic. Here's a little "how I do it":

First layout your subject larger than finished size (actual percentage doesn't matter, it gets changed later)-I did these 40% bigger. I used a word document program for the lettering...Then I hand drew in what I couldn't get the program to do. That's why it's done bigger, then its test shrunk down to actual size and noted what percentage of reduction is necessary. I then go down to the local office supply store(Staples) to have their print and copy shop reduce the master, again when I was happy with the size, I handed the technician a waterslide decal sheet, supplied him with the settings and asked for 8 copies on one page... I use a B&W home laser printer and I wanted the sign to be red. The commercial printers can "color shift" the print subject, so I had them shift this print to red (earlier, I had the other Atlantis logo graphics color shifted to blue)

Take the decal and with water separate it from the backing as usual...lay it out on a paper towel GLUE SIDE UP and wipe all the glue off the substrate. I then laid it out to dry on a piece of parchment paper to dry...

I mixed a small batch of clear casting resin and used it to glue and topcoat the dried decal (minus its glue) to the sign board...WATERPROOF GRAPHICS-BG​

Click image for larger version  Name:	PA170002.jpg Views:	0 Size:	47.7 KB ID:	165694Standard waterslide decal sheets and test copy and printed decal sheet
    Click image for larger version  Name:	PA170003.jpg Views:	0 Size:	53.5 KB ID:	165695add water and slide the decal off UPSIDEDOWN -so it wont stick-then wipe off any remaining glue with a paper towel
    Click image for larger version  Name:	PA170005.jpg Views:	0 Size:	42.7 KB ID:	165697 set out to dry on parchment paper..
    Click image for larger version  Name:	PA170007.jpg Views:	0 Size:	61.2 KB ID:	165698 Clear casting resin (Hobby Lobby or Amazon)
    Click image for larger version  Name:	PA170006.jpg Views:	0 Size:	48.4 KB ID:	165699 use the resin as the glue and topcoat
    Click image for larger version  Name:	PA180003.jpg Views:	0 Size:	52.4 KB ID:	165700 Those little things that add realism...

Last edited by Bob Gato; 10-18-2022, 02:25 PM.
  • trout
    Admiral
    • Jul 2011

Bob,
    Never thought of doing it this way.....brilliant. Is it necessary? I do not know, but I like having extra tools or ideas to go to for that special time. This is well documented and thank you!
    Peace,Tom
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Bob Gato
      Captain
      • Feb 2019

Thanks Tom, Yes its not for all applications, not necessary for those boats that do their mission and are hauled out in a relatively short time-I envision the Atlantis sitting moored a times during those BS sessions, coffee and donuts ,or lunch. Small graphics and draft numbers do well with just a clear topcoat...but this method will allow a serious amount of time with wet feet_BG

Comment

Working...