X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • redboat219
    Admiral
    • Dec 2008

Improvised tools

A lot of builders make and use their own unique scratch built tools to help them make their build a lot easier. If you have any please post them. I'm sure a lot of people will be interested.

Please post photos when you can.
    Last edited by Outrider; 04-12-2011, 07:02 PM. Reason: Added the part about photos
    Make it simple, make strong, make it work!
  • redboat219
    Admiral
    • Dec 2008

When I needed to scribe in the escape hatches on my Kilo I used a compass point chucked into a blade holder and an erasing shield as an improvised scribing template. About the size of a credit card and made of a thin sheet of stainless steel it's small size makes it easy to manipulate in tight spaces and it's flexible enough to conform to curve surfaces. Even if the shape you need to scribe is not on the template, say a 1 inch square, you can use the holes to guide your tool as you do one side at a time.
    Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• greenman407
      Admiral
      • Feb 2009

Good idea. I have found that for me ,glue on to the bottom of your template a piece of sandpaper. Thatll keep it from sliding around on you.
      IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• torpedoWalt
        Ensign
        • Apr 2012

This reply is for a method not a new tool but use of an old tool. I recently purchased a Seaview Model and needed to slot (open) the molded vents in the Hull. Once having gone through a learning curve I found that using a Pin Vise with a Drill Bit smaller than the vent width I drilled a through hole (twisting back and forth between the finger tips not using a power tool). Once through and angling the bit towards the other far end of the vent I used a recipricating action (like a saw blade no twisting) removing material and applying side pressure (so's not to drift from the desired line) was able to slot the vent and later clean-up with a jewlers file. This method assures no distortion of the plastic or melting which provides an accurate perfect slot in the vent with minimual effort and time.
        TorpedoWalt

Comment

• greenman407
          Admiral
          • Feb 2009

Thanks for that Walt, Ill keep that one in mind.
          IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

Working...