X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bob Gato
    Captain
    • Feb 2019

Just a little bit more secure

I have been using pet store fish tank tees and wyes in the plumbing on my boat and I do prefer clear tygon tubing because I can see what's happening inside. I did some testing and found that the tubing (any tubing) can slip off those plastic fittings with a slight tug and if it had a spring clamp ...off with a little stronger pull. I started to replace every thing in the boat with these brass fittings with bead ends. I silver braised two pieces of brass tube to make the Tee and soft soldered a 1/8 piece of the next larger size tube on the ends for the bead. For a clamp I just use a very small ty- wrap or zip tie. My inspiration was the Polaris pool sweep in my pool which used something similar. The tube now WILL NOT come off the end of of the tube.
  • RCSubGuy
    Welcome to my underwater realm!
    • Aug 2009

Good plan, Bob!

The 1/8" airhose used in the SubDrivers use straight tube, but once the hose is on there, and particularly if you're using the white or gray variety, they're exceptionally hard to get off again without prying or cutting. Kind of like those Chinese fingers we all played with at one time or another. They compress more the more you pull on them!

Bob

Comment

• Subculture
      Admiral
      • Feb 2009

Are you using a pump based ballast system, if so what about the attachments there?

Comment

• Bob Gato
        Captain
        • Feb 2019

Originally posted by Subculture
        Are you using a pump based ballast system, if so what about the attachments there?
        Sorry, Sometimes I am a little "stunad" and I am not sure of the question..do you mean the nipples on the gear pumps? They have beads but now they are probably the weak link-will be a wintertime change. Yes two tanks and two gear pumps-operating stored air pressure is between 7-10psi. The schematic in this post is one ballast tank in my sub- https://forum.rc-sub.com/forum/tips-...762#post134762

Comment

• Subculture
          Admiral
          • Feb 2009

Correct. I always remember the old saying- a chain breaks at its weakest link. Never had any issues with tubing on plastic fittings personally, too low of a pressure to be any problem, but each to their own.

Comment

• Bob Gato
            Captain
            • Feb 2019

Bob M is right..that tygon vinyl tubing "grows" loose as it ages under constant stretch on a barb or nipple. But I like it for its clarity and flexibility.

Comment

• Subculture
              Admiral
              • Feb 2009

I use silicone tubing. Seems to last forever, doesn't perish, and maintains a good seal. Easy availability on ebay etc.

Comment

• Bob Gato
                Captain
                • Feb 2019

Yes-blue/green silicon-actually I use it inside the dry containment housing the above mentioned pumps all of about 2.5 inches times 4 from the pumps to the thru "hull" nipple ..it is kind of friendly to a sharpie labeling which one is which. I use the tygon also for dry running of wires and full length antenna housing...nice to be able to see any water incursion.

Comment

Working...