• Jun 2018

Nitro Stan 9001

My god. What have I become...

Click image for larger version

Name:	0E8BD878-7F8B-4614-8BFC-E4DE8294BF46.jpeg
Views:	254
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	133850

Any tips for the uninitiated, from those in the know?

As for the FOR PROFESSIONAL USE ONLY - is that like the warning not to cut the tag off my mattress? If they find out I am not a professional, can I expect a stern knock at the door? Black helicopters???

Dead men tell no tales...
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Welcome to the Dark Side, my young Padawan …………

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• DMTNT
            Commander
            • Jun 2018

Fantastic!

Curious - how does it interact with polystyrene? Wondering about if the solvents in NS9001 might eat it alive or just bond really well to it. I am assuming it provides excellent adhesion to the base material and workability, otherwise you would not be using it.

On the subject of solvents - I have seen you brush it on in a bunch of past pics. Do the brushes clean up with just Thinner or Acetone? MEK? Seems like it applies nice and thin, for a putty, then dries relatively fast. Interested about the syringe technique that you displayed. Does it need to be thinned down first?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by DMTNT
              Fantastic!

Curious - how does it interact with polystyrene? Wondering about if the solvents in NS9001 might eat it alive or just bond really well to it. I am assuming it provides excellent adhesion to the base material and workability, otherwise you would not be using it.

On the subject of solvents - I have seen you brush it on in a bunch of past pics. Do the brushes clean up with just Thinner or Acetone? MEK? Seems like it applies nice and thin, for a putty, then dries relatively fast. Interested about the syringe technique that you displayed. Does it need to be thinned down first?
              Yes, the solvent in Nitro-Stan will eat into polystyrene and ABS and other chemically similar plastics. The polite term is, 'self-etching'. Use a little at a time and you're good. Use too much at first layer and you destroy the plastic.

Cut Nitro-Stan with any Acetone/MEK heavy 'lacquer thinner' (some brands are good, some not so good).

Here's the stuff I use to cut Nitro-Stan and clean my hand and air-brushes: https://www.woodcraft.com/products/k...5-e3fe2b272281

David
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• DMTNT
                Commander
                • Jun 2018

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

Yes, the solvent in Nitro-Stan will eat into polystyrene and ABS and other chemically similar plastics. The polite term is, 'self-etching'. Use a little at a time and you're good. Use too much at first layer and you destroy the plastic.

Cut Nitro-Stan with any Acetone/MEK heavy 'lacquer thinner' (some brands are good, some not so good).

Here's the stuff I use to cut Nitro-Stan and clean my hand and air-brushes: https://www.woodcraft.com/products/k...5-e3fe2b272281

David
                Thank you for the wisdom, o' wise one.

Comment

Working...