X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DMTNT
    Commander
    • Jun 2018

Water Spots

I had an interesting thing happen the other night after I gave CARTER her first bath after being painted. I pulled the boat out of the tub and broke everything down, but when I came out the next morning I noticed intermittent discoloration and staining on the midline of the hull. Most prominently on the upper hull, right along the split. By the time I found them, they'd dried on, and no amount of re-wetting / wiping / mild dish soap detergent would get them off.

Hardly reason to panic. It's a submarine after all. I went back and hit the spotty areas with my airbrush and then re-sealed everything with a matte overcoat. I really should've taken some pictures, but I found it all very strange. Now, full disclosure, my water is from a well and has a very high mineral content. It will spot glass if left to dry. I'm guessing that's what happened here. Especially since it was mostly along the bottom-edge of the upper hull, where water droplets would naturally run down and accumulate.

The paints used on the boat were all Tamiya lacquer sprays. The overcoat was Testors Modelmaster Flat Lacquer (Dullcoate), which at the time, had had approximately a week in warm / dry and stable conditions to cure.

Has anyone else experienced something similar? I'll be interested to see what happens the next time it gets wet.
    Last edited by DMTNT; 02-28-2019, 04:58 PM.
    Dead men tell no tales...
  • Bob Gato
    Captain
    • Feb 2019

I have not had the problem-yet-I too am using Tamiya Lacquer on my present surface project. Needless to say, I am paying attention here. Have you tried (in an inconspicuous area) vinegar and water or straight vinegar? Works for hard water stains...

Comment

• DMTNT
      Commander
      • Jun 2018

Originally posted by Bob Gato
      I have not had the problem-yet-I too am using Tamiya Lacquer on my present surface project. Needless to say, I am paying attention here. Have you tried (in an inconspicuous area) vinegar and water or straight vinegar? Works for hard water stains...
      Hi Bob. No I have not, although I considered that just after I made this post. If it reoccurs I will definitely give that a try.

Comment

• trout
        Admiral
        • Jul 2011

I did have it happen to me on my Gato. It was Testors clear coat I sprayed on. I ended up sanding it down with a very fine sandpaper and used Krylon as the clear coat. Was it the Testors, I do not know.
        If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Bob Gato
          Captain
          • Feb 2019

Boy that would be good news-I really like the Tamiya spray Lacquers..although I understand that their acrylics are affected by pool water chlorine.

Was the Krylon clear an enamel?

Comment

• trout
            Admiral
            • Jul 2011

The specific Krylon is the Fusion version. I do not know off hand what the Krylon Fusion clear is (enamel, lacquer, or acrylic).
            If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• DMTNT
              Commander
              • Jun 2018

To Bob, Tom, and anyone else who's interested...

Testing on my particular boat with this:

...Bought from a Home Depot in Seattle, in February 2019, yielded the following results:

Mind you, that photo is in high light conditions, so the shine and the bit of surface texture are slightly more pronounced than they are to the naked eye, a couple of days on. I believe that texture was more or less already there. Long story short, it did not eat the underlying finish. The Rustoleum Matte Clear was applied directly from the can over:

Mr. Surfacer 1500 => Tamiya TS-82 and TS-6 spray lacquers => Testors Dullcote spray lacquer

...all of which had time to dry and cure in stable conditions. YOUR RESULTS MAY VARY. I will say that this has appeared to completely eliminate the hard water staining issue that I was having with just the Dullcote. If I'm being honest, the boat has just a slightly shinier finish than I would like, but all things considered, I'm pretty happy with how it all turned out.

-Brady

Comment

• trout
                Admiral
                • Jul 2011

That matte is the one I used to finish the Walrus. After sanding the krinkles from the black (being careful not to over sand it), the matte finish came out great.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	Walrus_001.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	7.3 KB
ID:	130802Click image for larger version

Name:	Walrus_002.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	11.1 KB
ID:	130803Click image for larger version

Name:	Walrus_003.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	12.9 KB
ID:	130804

Comment

• Bob Gato
                  Captain
                  • Feb 2019

Looks great-glad it worked out..Did you sand and refinish the affected area or did you spray over the spots and now they're gone?

Comment

• DMTNT
                    Commander
                    • Jun 2018

Originally posted by trout
                    That matte is the one I used to finish the Walrus. After sanding the krinkles from the black (being careful not to over sand it), the matte finish came out great.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	Walrus_001.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	7.3 KB
ID:	130802Click image for larger version

Name:	Walrus_002.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	11.1 KB
ID:	130803Click image for larger version

Name:	Walrus_003.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	12.9 KB
ID:	130804
                    That looks terrific! Nice save, sir.

Bob - I ended up spraying over the top of them with my airbrush. The soft edges and the leveling effect of the clearcoat made it a seamless fix.

Comment

Working...