Views:	72
Size:	7.8 KB
ID:	127808Click image for larger version

Name:	C63DEF44-E609-462B-80EA-2A19F971BCA2.jpeg
Views:	61
Size:	8.9 KB
ID:	127809

Hello all,

I have have a problem with a brass drive shaft slipping, as it rotates on a motor shaft. This is for the twin motor cylinder of my new Papa class boat. I made the cylinder myself and made this brass shaft machined up to extend from the motor shaft out through the seals and then the coupling to the prop shafts. Initially I used Loctite but just recently the shaft started slipping on the motor. I pulled it apart and ground a flat section at the end of the shaft that buts up against the motor. I then drilled a tiny hole into the flat and attempted to drill a similar hole in the flat of the motor shaft. I couldn’t drill, the motor shaft steel just won’t budge , as I thought maybe I could insert a tiny pin through the holes in both shafts. No luck so I applied more loctite. It’s started slipping again. Aargh!!!

This afternoon I thought, how about trying to solder both together. I tried and tried and it held for a while then.....

does anybody have have any Suggestions?

David H

• MFR1964
    Detail Nut of the First Order
    • Sep 2010

Try some small diameter silicone hose, works for me at the 212

Manfred
    I went underground

Comment

• JHapprich
      Captain
      • Oct 2017

dont solder, wont work. diameter of the coupling big enough to drill a threaded hole and secure the shaft with a grub screw? even if youd achieve drilling through the motor shaft the engine torque would break your pin BUT you can gring a flat surface on the engine shaft to counter the groub screw (dremel+ stone disk). if there is no space, sand the engine shaft rough, make a new shaft extension with a slight tighter hole then the motor shaft, heat the extension up and force it over the motor shaft. Jörg
      Last edited by JHapprich; 10-02-2018, 04:44 AM.

Comment

• Albion
        Captain
        • Dec 2008

If you solder it you need to throughly clean the motor shaft and the internals of the brass.
        Secondly you need an agressive acid flux, and lastly a high power soedirng iron to get the heat in there (ungar work well)

Slot cars have far more power at the shaft and they have soldered on Pinions which stay on, just need to do a proper job on the soldering
        Next time someone points out it takes 42 muscles to frown, point out it will only take 4 muscles to b1tch slap them if they tell you how mnay muscles you need to smile:pop

Comment

• JHapprich
          Captain
          • Oct 2017

yes, but i guess slot cars are using 540` motors with a 3,17/3,2mm shaft. arent that 400`with a 2mm shaft on PAPA? ps are that pinions you mention actually soldered and not welded?

AHH. mistranslatet. you mean slotcars like carrera etc? those engines have welded pinions afaik
          Last edited by JHapprich; 10-02-2018, 05:12 AM.

Comment

• JHapprich
            Captain
            • Oct 2017

Please visit www.slotcarcity.com Mick A shows you how to solder on a spin proof pinion.

I stand corrected

pinion is not a small pin i see. here is some german lesson: pinion = Ritzel pin = Stift

now thats mean;-)
            -> http://www.rcindependent.com/wbb3/in...threadID=76524
            Last edited by JHapprich; 10-02-2018, 05:27 AM.

Comment

• Albion
              Captain
              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by JHapprich
              yes, but i guess slot cars are using 540` motors with a 3,17/3,2mm shaft. arent that 400`with a 2mm shaft on PAPA? ps are that pinions you mention actually soldered and not welded?

AHH. mistranslatet. you mean slotcars like carrera etc? those engines have welded pinions afaik
              Not like carrera i mean like this

116,000RPM 1095 gm/cm torque, pinions soldered on.
              Next time someone points out it takes 42 muscles to frown, point out it will only take 4 muscles to b1tch slap them if they tell you how mnay muscles you need to smile:pop

Comment

• Stephen Vick
                Lieutenant
                • Nov 2018

Solder the brass tube into a DuBro wheel collar drill through the grub screw hole then you can tighten the grub screw onto the flat you have filed on the motor shaft.

Comment

Working...