X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kim Sleep
    Commander
    • Nov 2013

SIZZLE!!!

Is there a way to chemically strip paint off of a models plastic surface. I know I can sand like a rabid Monkey... but Im afraid I will obliterate any small details.
    Thanks in advance
    Kim
    A man of true Frankenstinean proportions!!
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Break fluid. Oven cleaner. Genesis device.

M
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Albion
      Captain
      • Dec 2008

Went on Caswell website, no Genesis device, please send link.
      Next time someone points out it takes 42 muscles to frown, point out it will only take 4 muscles to b1tch slap them if they tell you how mnay muscles you need to smile:pop

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Albion
        Went on Caswell website, no Genesis device, please send link.
        (smart-ass)

M
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Von Hilde
          Rear Admiral
          • Oct 2011

I have some. Picked it up before it sold out. How much do you need? Brake fluid, be advised, comes in a few different Varients. Pay attention to the D.O.T. numbers DOT3 is caustic DOT 5 synthetic. Oven cleaner will take the hair off your skin. I havent tried muratic acid for paint remover spacificlly on plastic, but it has no damageing effect on polymers and takes everything off concrete and rust off metal. I dont recomend anyone using a HAZMAT around the house. Too many of them have adverse consiquences when in contact with another substance. "YOU MIGHT PUT YOUR EYES OUT KIDS!" If you pour bleach down the toilet after you used drain cleaner to unclog it, It makes cloreane gas in the vent, and thats one of the first gasses the Nazis used in the camps. Most houses vent thru the roof and the gas becomes inert, but still its poison, iniatially. Carefull of what you inadvertntly mix. As far as models go, you may want to try the process on some scrap, first. It doesnt matter if its painted, just to see if it mars the plastic.

Comment

• QuarterMaster
            Rear Admiral
            • Sep 2015

Years ago "He Who Shall Not Be Named" recommended Oven Cleaner to strip my 1/48 DeBoer Skipjack. Worked fine for me as no detail was removed. I'd use it again.

"Sub" Ed
            v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
            NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
            USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• Subculture
              Admiral
              • Feb 2009

I've used caustic solutions like oven cleaner, and also glycol based brake fluid. both work to a degree, but caustic solution is sometimes not tough enough for some paints, and brake fluid can have a detrimental affect on some plastics.

I found the best stuff to strip paint off plastic shells is De-solv-it graffiti remover. This is formulated for removing graffiti from polycarbonate bus shelters, but also works well on just about any plastic without harming it. I find one or two applications is adequate to strip most paints back.

Comment

• Kim Sleep
                Commander
                • Nov 2013

Ive never seen the grafitti remover, but it seems logical, and Im going to see if I can find it. I have a fresh can of oven cleaner, so Im going to try that this eve. Gotta find some gloves as well.

Comment

• Kim Sleep
                  Commander
                  • Nov 2013

I took a look at all the warnings on Brake Fluid, and Im not touching the stuff. Mr. Merriman is a lot more Butch than he lets on, using the stuff.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Kim Sleep
                    I took a look at all the warnings on Brake Fluid, and Im not touching the stuff. Mr. Merriman is a lot more Butch than he lets on, using the stuff.

Butch? No. Ellie suggested .... STUPID-ass, round-eyed, European arctic type.

M
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Kim Sleep
                      Commander
                      • Nov 2013

Well, you just CANT disagree with women, especially Philippine...they're the smartest

Comment

• Kim Sleep
                        Commander
                        • Nov 2013

SIZZLE!...redux
                        Ok, I'm fairly certain that I'm the only guy around these here parts that doesn't know about this art....but I have some good news and bad news in the stripping game.
                        First of all, I attempted the Oven Cleaner on what appeared to be a Styrene model.
                        All seemed to be going well...then suddenly...it began to distort and melt...I'm screwed, and have many, many days of sanding and body filler to bring it back to even 99% of its original shape. Owing to a disability my days of endless sanding are VERY limited...so that project is off to the back of the shelf.

Ok, If I'm anything, I'm dedicated to being stupid... and began stripping a model built out of what I believe is Fibreglass. MUCH SUCCESS!!!. In less than 2 hours the nasty Hammertone paint, as well as the primer came off like it was never even there. A bit of assistance with a paint brush was all that was needed to get into the nooks and crannies.
                        On a side-note, I purchased 2 different types of Oven Cleaner, the standard off the shelf stuff, and the Home Depot in house brand ZEP. The ZEP didn't even budge the paint...absolutely useless, but the standard brand did the trick.
                        This whole stripping business is new to me, back when I was doing some modelling in my business I never had to strip a model, we were happy that it just made it thru a couple of days of filming...then it was off to the dumpster.
                        Siiiigh
                        Now Im off to buy more Oven Cleaner...I actually need to clean my oven...the smoke detectors freal out whenever my sons decide to make a pizza.
                        Last edited by Kim Sleep; 10-07-2015, 09:37 AM.

Comment

• pst2217
                          Ensign
                          • Feb 2016

Aircraft paint stripper

Comment

Working...