Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HardRock
    Vice Admiral
    • Mar 2013

The sub originally had a small "radar" dish on top of an elongated periscope that was connected directly to the fore plane shaft. You can see the connection in the drawing running between the fore plane crank and the just above the base of the periscope. When the boat dived deep enough to cover the radar dish the water resistance pushed the mast backwards and that tilted the fore planes upward to bring the boat back to periscope depth. It worked OK but I eventually just removed it and fitted a waterproof servo instead. Much better control.

Comment

• Kim Sleep
      Commander
      • Nov 2013

Absolutely bloody amazing...what a intriguing piece of engineering.

Whatever became of a young sub designer, I think he posted here extensive tests on a very small sub, initially cast in transparent blue...I think he was out of San Diego California. I just cant seem to remember his name.
      Her seemed to have some pretty good ideas , especially with the very small sub that was easily customizable, painted, etc...but most importantly ...inexpensive,

I think now, more than ever, there seems to be a opening for a small sub that is around $100.00.
      Even the relatively poorly designed small subs that Wal-Mart originally sold for around $40.00, are now popping up all over Ebay for as much as $150.00. Ive seen the little NIKKO units that are long out of production for over $250.00.
      Ive seen a very small German unit...but I know nothing about it...its speedy, maneuverable, and VERY small.
      My question to you is this:
      What do you think of a small, fast, inexpensive unit, mostly for pools, easily painted, and customized for the $100.00 or so market.
      NOBODY knows the Sub market like you do...is it possible, , doable, and/or profitable for such a unit??

Thanks
      Kim
      A man of true Frankenstinean proportions!!

Comment

Working...