X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dukeoforegon
    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
    • Jun 2023

D&E Miniatures 1/96 Scale Skipjack

My Father passed away and had a rather large RC collection. I am looking to sell these items and the only thing I know is that he paid about $1,200 for it back in the day.

I'm having a hard time pulling together relevant information about this RC submarine, but there is a manual from D&E Miniatures. It is a super-nicely done replica of the USS Scorpion, hull # 589 - a Skipjack-class nuclear attack submarine that sunk with all hands lost in 1968.

It has a 3" diameter hull and is 31" long. It has a water tight gas cylinder installed.

It does not have a radio, but it has had one in the past and was used. It appears to be ready to sail with a new radio installed.

Currently installed it has a HiTech 40 Mhz Rx inside along with two Futaba servo's plus one the builder (Clive Wadsworth) told me Dave Merriman installed in the WTC for ballast operation. Also installed is an Mtronik 15 amp ESC, SubTech APC4 and a GWS failsafe.

The electronics were new the last time it was used (about 2007) and she has sat inside an oak cabinet since then. The push rod "C" cup seals and "O" ring were changed at the same time.

I know absolutely nothing about these beautiful models, so what I am writing is what I can gather from emails, etc. about the boat.

Feel free to make me an offer. I am doing a lot of research on this and trying to be fair. I want to get fair market value for it, but I also care a lot that it finds its way into the hands of someone who will love it.​
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Ask for 2.2K and dicker down from there.

David
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• dukeoforegon
      Lieutenant, Junior Grade
      • Jun 2023

Thanks David. That information is really helpful.

Comment

• QuarterMaster
        Rear Admiral
        • Sep 2015

Sorry for you loss.

Consider keeping her for yourself and carry on the legacy. It can be quite addicting. We're here to help.

Regardless of the choice, our best to you and yours.
        v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
        NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
        USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• dukeoforegon
          Lieutenant, Junior Grade
          • Jun 2023

Thanks for the condolences sir! I truly appreciate it. I did a lot of RC stuff with my Dad while growing up. I enjoy it but my real passion is motocross racing. I spend most of my free time with that.

Cheers!

Comment

• QuarterMaster
            Rear Admiral
            • Sep 2015

Originally posted by dukeoforegon
            Thanks for the condolences sir! I truly appreciate it. I did a lot of RC stuff with my Dad while growing up. I enjoy it but my real passion is motocross racing. I spend most of my free time with that.

Cheers!
            My Dad taught me too.

Every build is a monument to him.
            v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
            NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
            USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• Jeffegroseth
              Ensign
              • Feb 2024

Still available?

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Jeffegroseth
                Still available?
                Nope............
                Who is John Galt?