X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RCSubGuy
    Welcome to my underwater realm!
    • Aug 2009

Holy heck... someone is proud of their unbuilt, 30 year old hull

He reached out to me a few days ago asking about this, and then never got back to me. I guess he determined he was sitting on a gold mine of RC submarine awesomeness!

32nd Parallel Gato hull on eBay

Asking $5000 (not a typo). Oh, and shipping will run you a cool grand on top of that...

• trout
    Admiral
    • Jul 2011

Yeah, the person went silent with what I offered. Oh well.....
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• RCSubGuy
      • Aug 2009

I have the distinct impression he feels he's sitting on a 30 year old gold mine.

What he doesn't realize (nor do many people) is that a 30+ year old fully built boat is exponentially more work than a fresh hull. Everything needs to come out and either get exhaustively refurbished or tossed in the bin. Twice the work for the same result.

My thought on fair value would be closer to $2k, giving a LOT of goodwill for a rare hull (relatively speaking).

Comment

• goshawk823
        Lieutenant Commander
        • Oct 2010

That’s an insane amount of money for that hull. Even 2K would be generous.

Comment

• trout
          Admiral
          • Jul 2011

Bob,
          2K is VERY generous, you are right, the amount of work needed is extensive. It is a gut and restart. It will be a gem fixed up and running, but at its current state not so much.
          If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Schmitty1944
            Lieutenant Commander
            • Mar 2021

Cool model. Considering the era it was built the internal work looks pretty good. 4 Pitman motors with pairs geared together is pretty clever. The conning tower looks like an elephant sat on it. Limber holes look just okay, it looks like they are round where they should be a cathedral shape but that's fixable. I think it's worth 1500+ If it was anywhere near me I'd have a go.

Jason

Comment

• RCSubGuy
              • Aug 2009

I got notification that he dropped the price to only... $4000!

LOL

Comment

• Schmitty1944
                Lieutenant Commander
                • Mar 2021

So it looks like it sold. It says best offer accepted so no way to know what the selling price was. I bet it will turn up again eventually.

Jason

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                  • Aug 2009

It sold for $2K to a good customer of mine. Fair price for a unique boat.

Comment

Working...