• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RCSubGuy
    Welcome to my underwater realm!
    • Aug 2009

Pay It Forward Experiment

Good morning, all!

I can't recall if we tried this in the past or not, but I'm willing to give it another shot if there is interest at all.

The idea of a "pay it forward" thread is to help move those old components and projects collecting dust on the shelf and replace it with something that you actually need/want. The thread is seeded with a gizmo/kit/etc. and whoever needs/wants it posts up that they'll take it. Shipping costs are fronted by the person offering the part up (I assume international people would need to buck up for extra shipping, but that shouldn't be a big deal). Once a person raises their hand to take the part, they're responsible for offering up something different to replace it, of equivalent value (or greater, I suppose).

I would be willing to donate a few items to start things out, let's say something small (around $30 value), something more substantial (around $100?), and a bigger one (maybe $300?). Each would have its own thread.

What does everyone think? Worthwhile or no?

Bob
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

I'm game.

David
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• DMTNT
      Commander
      • Jun 2018

This community has already given me so much, I would love to give back in whatever way I could. I don't have as many cool toys as some of the rest of you, but by god if I can help, count me in.
      Dead men tell no tales...

Comment

• RCSubGuy
        • Aug 2009

I'll try to get to the shop sometime this weekend and see what I have lying around that I can seed the thread(s) with.

Stand by!

Bob

Comment

• RCSubGuy
          • Aug 2009

Alright... enough of this lollygagging about. Let's kick things off!

This beauty is an experiment that didn't quite pan out the way I'd hoped. I drafted this in 3D, but during the export to my wrapping/shelling program, the parts got faceted, resulting in a less-than-perfect print. I've got that problem licked, but this model is the result of the prototype file printing.

HMS Astute in 96th scale. PLA plastic, 5mm thickness. Hull split at waterline. Hull sections adhered with CA rubberized gel. I'd recommend going over the internal seams with a soldering gun to completely fuse the parts. All control appendages included, including a pretty slick impeller/shroud. All holes in place for control surfaces, though a bit bigger than I'd like (again, corrected in my latest version). Overall model ends up at around 1010mm (about 40 inches). Perfect for a 3" cylinder.

With a bit of elbow grease, some filler and paint, this could be a slick model for someone.

My only caveat to this is whoever chimes in on this has to promise to work on it. I expect progress pics! If you can't follow through, don't step up. I'm happy to help with all the gear needed to get it going if you need it.

Just a reminder about the rules here. If you take the boat, I'll front the shipping domestically. If you're overseas, you'll need to help with the cost. Whoever takes it has to offer up something of equal or greater value in return (just post it up here as a follow-up post). Again, you'd be responsible for the shipping of it to the new owner. If you don't have something to offer up, you'll just have to keep watching for something else to grab. No messy cash deals.

Understood? Okay, let's see how this plays out... ;)

Attached Files

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by SubHuman
            Alright... enough of this lollygagging about. Let's kick things off!

This beauty is an experiment that didn't quite pan out the way I'd hoped. I drafted this in 3D, but during the export to my wrapping/shelling program, the parts got faceted, resulting in a less-than-perfect print. I've got that problem licked, but this model is the result of the prototype file printing.

HMS Astute in 96th scale. PLA plastic, 5mm thickness. Hull split at waterline. Hull sections adhered with CA rubberized gel. I'd recommend going over the internal seams with a soldering gun to completely fuse the parts. All control appendages included, including a pretty slick impeller/shroud. All holes in place for control surfaces, though a bit bigger than I'd like (again, corrected in my latest version). Overall model ends up at around 1010mm (about 40 inches). Perfect for a 3" cylinder.

With a bit of elbow grease, some filler and paint, this could be a slick model for someone.

My only caveat to this is whoever chimes in on this has to promise to work on it. I expect progress pics! If you can't follow through, don't step up. I'm happy to help with all the gear needed to get it going if you need it.

Just a reminder about the rules here. If you take the boat, I'll front the shipping domestically. If you're overseas, you'll need to help with the cost. Whoever takes it has to offer up something of equal or greater value in return (just post it up here as a follow-up post). Again, you'd be responsible for the shipping of it to the new owner. If you don't have something to offer up, you'll just have to keep watching for something else to grab. No messy cash deals.

Understood? Okay, let's see how this plays out... ;)
            I'll take this terribly flawed POS, robot printed spawn-of-Satan kit, sloppily birthed from one of your Godless crime-against-nature-committing Replicator machines.

I'll kick in a partially assembled 1/35 Bronco Type-23 kit complete with fittings package to ease its conversion to r/c. We can do the hostage exchange when you get here, Boss.

David
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Albion
              Captain
              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

I'll take this terribly flawed POS, robot printed spawn-of-Satan kit, sloppily birthed from one of your Godless crime-against-nature-committing Replicator machines.

I'll kick in a partially assembled 1/35 Bronco Type-23 kit complete with fittings package to ease its conversion to r/c. We can do the hostage exchange when you get here, Boss.

David
              What the world needs is 1/96 Astute, please kit it
              Next time someone points out it takes 42 muscles to frown, point out it will only take 4 muscles to b1tch slap them if they tell you how mnay muscles you need to smile:pop

Comment

• Subculture
                Admiral
                • Feb 2009

Chris Netherway did a 1/96th Astute in GRP. He does mould hulls for others I think.

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                  • Aug 2009

Just so this doesn't go the way of the Do-Do bird, if anyone is interested in the 35th Bronco Type XXIII, it's up for grabs. I contributed the kick-off, Dave nabbed it and offered up a replacement. If you're after a kit in started state with the fittings package to make it easy, speak now!

That is all....

Comment

• trout
                    Admiral
                    • Jul 2011

I will be glad to take the sub to the next level and hand it off....
                    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                      • Aug 2009

I suppose that's valid, but the idea of the thread would be to offer up something right away to keep the velocity up.

That's kinda a cool idea, though! A hot-potato sub! Someone starts a project, hands it off to the next guy. He works on it a bit, then hands it off. It would be interesting to see what it looked like when done!

Comment

• trout
                        Admiral
                        • Jul 2011

I am sorry, I thought it was to get a sub ready to give to someone interested in getting into the hobby.........Hmmm, I have a Revell Type VII 1/72 I could swap out if you want. I am open.
                        If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                          • Aug 2009

Seems fair to me. Revell Type VII offered in exchange for the Bronco XXIII. Get with Dave for the shipping address, etc.

Anyone after a Type VII kit!?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by SubHuman
                            Seems fair to me. Revell Type VII offered in exchange for the Bronco XXIII. Get with Dave for the shipping address, etc.

Anyone after a Type VII kit!?
                            Once again onto the breech, huh, Tom? Good man! Give me your current address and I'll get this thing off to you.

David
                            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
                              Admiral
                              • Jul 2011

David, address sent.

Comment

Working...