X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RCSubGuy
    Welcome to my underwater realm!
    • Aug 2009

SOLD!--Ready-To-Run OTW Type XXIII with D&E WTC

ust completed, tested, trimmed and ready for a new captain to take the helm!

This is a 1/25th scale German Type XIII coastal submarine complete with Hitec 6-channel radio, D&E gas-ballast WTC, automatic pitch control, Tenergy 5000mAh LiPo battery. The cylinder features a much larger than stock liquid gas reservoir and currently has a rubber bladder installed as a safety measure to ensure that the model will only ballast down to the point where only the top of the sail is exposed. One the new skipper gets comfortable, air can be removed from the bladder to bring her lower in the water, or removed altogether for full static diving. Automatic pitch controller ensures smooth dives and dead-steady maintenance of periscope depth (as you can see from the videos below).

The model has been fully asssembled, painted, weathered, tested and trimmed and has had her maiden voyage to ensure 100% proper operation.

A video walkthrough of the model can be viewed on my YouTube channel here:

The video of her maiden voyage can be seen here:

This boat is an exceptionally good performer and is very easy to drive. Despite the tall tower, I noticed very little sail induced lean during turns. The only thing needed for operation is a LiPo balance charger and you're good to go!

A gorgeous boat and the new skipper will be very happy with her.

Asking $1950 plus actual shipping charges.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20161109_144035.jpg Views:	2 Size:	12.4 KB ID:	117666
    Attached Files
    Last edited by RCSubGuy; 01-23-2017, 09:13 AM.
  • greenman407
    Admiral
    • Feb 2009

Fantastic as always Bob. I was just wondering why you chose white instead of yellow for the sail stripe
    IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• RCSubGuy
      • Aug 2009

I was under the impression until recently that yellow was used during training exercises. If I understand things correctly, it's still not definitively proven one way or the other which color was actually used during patrol. So... white it is. I think it looks better. ;)

Comment

• greenman407
        Admiral
        • Feb 2009

My understanding is that a yellow stripe was used during training to prevent friendly fire incidents. I actually have color pictures of the boats with yellow stripes. However once they were ready to go out on patrol, all stripes were removed to reduce the chance of the sub being spotted by enemy forces. Makes sence. Also the U-boot magazine says yellow was used for the stripes. Still a fantastic paint job

Comment

• Von Hilde
          Rear Admiral
          • Oct 2011

Yellow stripes were training boat flotilla markings, the few XXIIIs that did make deployment were all black with the numbers on the tower. There were no white stripes, some of the training boats that had been in service for training only, had yellow stripes that had faded from the sun, that appear white in black and white original, however colorized, black and white fotos, have left the white appearing stripe un colorized, because they had no idea of what the markings ment

Comment

• greenman407
            Admiral
            • Feb 2009

Vonhilde, on the port side hull at the back of the conning tower, there is a thingamajig that is contoured to the shape of the hull. What's it for?

Comment

• RCSubGuy
              • Aug 2009

I believe that is the exhaust outlet for the diesel engines.

Comment

• greenman407
                Admiral
                • Feb 2009

Well that makes sense because the muffler is right under the shroud right behind the sail

Comment

• trout
                  Admiral
                  • Jul 2011

I was wrong on my assessment of the one picture, I thought the exhaust was on the starboard side, it is the port side! Please forgive my inaccuracy.
                  If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• greenman407
                    Admiral
                    • Feb 2009

Originally posted by greenman407
                    Well that makes sense because the muffler is right under the shroud right behind the sail
                    As well as a large compressed air tank

Comment

• Von Hilde
                      Rear Admiral
                      • Oct 2011

It appears to be unique to different boats. The two that I have seen with the exhaust shrouds that go below the waterline, are different liength. Several pictures out of the water, there is none on either side. Port side is where the ones I have seen.

Comment

• Von Hilde
                        Rear Admiral
                        • Oct 2011

Here is a question, how come everybody's rank says ensign? And their ranks are shown on their eppolettes as whatever their standings are as to number of posts.

Comment

Working...