X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Outrider
    Commander
    • Aug 2008

Sombra SL-6 Lepton

This looks like a great choice for many sub applications.

Caswell sells an SL-6 that operates on 75 MHz and includes a CH 69 Crystal, which allows it to operate out of the box with the WFly T/R they sell.

I looked over the Sombra site for more info:

One thing I noticed is that the SL-6 is specified on the Sombra site as 72 MHz (as well as being available in HAM frequencies). 72 MHz is, as I understand it, allocated by the US FCC for air, but not for surface/subsurface use.

I assume that achieving 75 MHz operation is just a crystal issue for any Sombra SL-6 Lepton and that I could run any non-HAM SL-6 as either 72 MHz or 75 MHz depending on the installed crystal. (The photos on the Sombra and Caswell sites have SL-6s with "72 MHz" printed on the case.)

Enough with the assumptions...

Will the 72 MHz Lepton take a 75 MHz crystal and, if so, what kind?

Any advantages to the HAM version worth talking about?

The SL-8 and SL6 look like great products. I suspect I'll prefer SL-8s for their versatility, but I'm told there are some applications where there's only room for an SL-6. Any chance of getting a synthesized tuner on an SL-6 or smaller(!) receiver?

Finally, though we can't use 2.4 GHz underwater, any news on your 2.4 GHz systems?
  • sombra
    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
    • Apr 2009

The SL-8 is our synthesized 8-channel receiver and it works on both 72MHz & 75MHz bands. The Lepton-6 is the smaller crystal based (non-synthesized) version of SL-8, it also works on both 72MHz and 75MHz. The proper crystal will determine the operational frequency and hence the band. The receiver cover and promotional material mentions only 72MHz, since we don't usually stock 75MHz crystals. However, we've tested Lepton-6 with GWS 75MHz UM-1 crystals with excellent results. The size of SL-8 is the smallest we could achieve with a synthesizer...sure it can be made smaller, but it would compromise the performance of the product. Our synthesized SL-8 is by far one of the best performing receiver on the market. We're currently finalizing our spread-spectrum design, it will not be 2.4GHz :) and it will work underwater for submarine applications. You'll have to wait for more info. once we release it on our webpage in the coming months.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

This is very good news, indeed!

And I can attest to the fine performance of the crystal controlled receiver -- works just fine on the 75mHz band.

And the slightly bigger 8-channel synthetic crystal receiver: I've had no problem getting it into our 1.25" SubDrivers. So, I don't want to hear any *****ing from anyone about it being 'too big'. It's small enough.

And both receivers are glitch free and I should know: I have them working nine boats so far. And in each installation the servos were observed to remain stutter-free when the transmitter was turned off -- excellent selectivity and noise rejection.

David,
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• roedj
        Captain
        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by sombra
        We're currently finalizing our spread-spectrum design, it will not be 2.4GHz :) and it will work underwater for submarine applications.
        Yes, this will be interesting. I didn't realize that there was a USA/Canada legal spread spectrum frequency used for radio control models below 2.4GHz. Looking forward to seeing your product.

Dan
        Born in Detroit - where the weak are killed and eaten.

Comment

• Outrider
          Commander
          • Aug 2008

The Sombra Labs receivers have had excellent reviews. See this write up for a thorough, analytical and experimental description of the SL-8 and SL-6:

The non-2.4 GHz spread spectrum product is huge news. I hope they'll also make a version that can be used in helis and aircraft. I can see technical challenges going into the lower frequencies, but a lot of value in making that approach work.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Outrider
            The Sombra Labs receivers have had excellent reviews. See this write up for a thorough, analytical and experimental description of the SL-8 and SL-6:

The non-2.4 GHz spread spectrum product is huge news. I hope they'll also make a version that can be used in helis and aircraft. I can see technical challenges going into the lower frequencies, but a lot of value in making that approach work.

A killer review and field-test. Thanks for sharing it, Outrider.

I strongly recommend that you all read the product test performed -- lots of good stuff explaining the good performance of the Sombra receivers.

David,
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Nuke Power
              Banned
              • Dec 2008

I had problems with other receivers in my boats but after I stuck a sombra 8 in there all glitches went silent. It is a very good buy and its versatile.

Comment

• crazygary
                Captain
                • Sep 2012

Being new to the Lepton6, and from what I have read, is the Shadow Programmer
                only used for the 8-channel model??

If so, I have one that I don't need! If anyone is interested in it, please contact me "off-list"
                and I'll send it to you for $20,00US, which is what I paid for it.

Comment

• greenman407
                  Admiral
                  • Feb 2009

It has the same 8 port plug as the SL-8, so I would say yes. Gary, does your receiver come with a crystal?
                  IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• crazygary
                    Captain
                    • Sep 2012

Yes!! My Wfly TX, from Caswell, came with a channel 69 crystal!

Just ordered a RX channel 69 crystal yesterday. Hopefully it'll be here within the next few days,
                    because I can't try out my Skipjack without it!! Learning as I go along!! Been one heck of an
                    experience!!

O.K. I'm good!! Oops! Not quite! Now I need one of these!! And on, and on.....!

Thanks for your message greenman407!!

Comment

• KevinMc
                      Commander
                      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by crazygary
                      Being new to the Lepton6, and from what I have read, is the Shadow Programmer
                      only used for the 8-channel model??
                      The Shadow programmer is still used to adjust other programmable features on the Lepton6 - I'd keep it if I were you!
                      Kevin McLeod - Oscar II driver
                      KMc Designs

Comment

• crazygary
                        Captain
                        • Sep 2012

Thanks for the heads up, Kevin!!

Can you clue me in as to what else it does to the Lepton6?

Thank you, Sir!!

Comment

• greenman407
                          Admiral
                          • Feb 2009

I got this off of Sombras link, under support it lists other products as well as manuals for them. Here is a link to their Lepton receiver. In it it shows what the shadow programmer does and its different codes.http://www.sombralabs.com/download/L...Guide%20V1.pdf
                          IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• crazygary
                            Captain
                            • Sep 2012

Very cool! Much appreciated!!!
                            Have a great weekend!

Comment

Working...