Will a sombra sl-8 work with.............

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greenman407
    Admiral
    • Feb 2009

Will a sombra sl-8 work with.............

Will the Sombra work with a JR Propo Alpina PCM radio? On the back label it says 75M MHZ
    IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!
  • sombra
    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
    • Apr 2009

None of the Sombra receivers support PCM.. FM-PPM only.

Comment

• greenman407
      Admiral
      • Feb 2009

Thank you Sir.

Comment

• Subculture
        Admiral
        • Feb 2009

Haven't any experience with that set, but all PCM sets I have encountered are switchable between PCM and normal PPM. JR use a different shift pattern to most other makes I think, but the Sombra is unlikely to worry about that. So provided your set is switchable, it should eb a problem.

Comment

• greenman407
          Admiral
          • Feb 2009

Nah, this is a inexpensive 2 channel pistol grip radio , designed for model cars. They stopped making it 20 years ago. But I still have and use two of them. Just wondering.

Comment

• secrtwpn
            Lieutenant Commander
            • Feb 2012

How about a Hitec Laser 4???????

Comment

• greenman407
              Admiral
              • Feb 2009

ya know, I have heard that the radio is fine but the receivers definetly need to go. I had soooo much trouble with it.

Comment

• Subculture
                Admiral
                • Feb 2009

Must have been a really lousy PCM system then. Personally I use 2.4ghz system (Spektrum and Corona) for everything above the water, it's a quantum leap over the older systems, just too bad it doesn't cut through the wet stuff.

Comment

• rc ted
                  Ensign
                  • Feb 2011

Does the Sombra SL8 work with the Wfly FT06-A? I can't seem to get any signal to the receiver. Also haven't been able to find out if the transmitter I have is PPM or PCM. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Comment

• greenman407
                    Admiral
                    • Feb 2009

Did you follow the instructions on how to bind the receiver to your radio? You can do it with the shadow programmer, or the bind plug.http://www.sombralabs.com/download/S...Guide%20V5.pdf Make sure that your WYFLY is on while you are doing it. Let us know.
                    Last edited by greenman407; 10-18-2014, 09:34 PM.

Comment

• KevinMc
                      Commander
                      • Feb 2009

FT06-A is a PPM (only) transmitter and works just fine with the SL-8.
                      Have a crack at the instructions Mark pointed you to, if you're still stuck give a should and we'll get you going.
                      Kevin McLeod - Oscar II driver
                      KMc Designs

Comment

• rc ted
                        Ensign
                        • Feb 2011

I followed the protocol to the letter using the binding loop. It appeared to bind on two occasions, but when I touched the receiver to unplug the loop it immediately became unbound on both occasions. Personally I think there is something wrong with the receiver. Both the receiver and the radio have never been used before now. I acquired them a couple years ago when I built my gato sub, but didn't use them because I ordered a Wfly 8 channel because I needed 7 channels for the gato. Do you think a shadow programmer would work even though the loop doesn't?

Comment

• KevinMc
                          Commander
                          • Feb 2009

Originally posted by rc ted
                          I followed the protocol to the letter using the binding loop. It appeared to bind on two occasions, but when I touched the receiver to unplug the loop it immediately became unbound on both occasions.
                          Bizarre - I've never seen that before. Can you rig the receiver so it's powered through a switch and use that to drop power to the receiver after it locks? (Then remove the jumper after you've shut down the power.)

Originally posted by rc ted
                          Do you think a shadow programmer would work even though the loop doesn't?
                          It's really hard to say, especially since it seems as though your problem is not getting the receiver to lock but getting it to hold its lock.

KMc
                          KMc Designs

Comment

• rc ted
                            Ensign
                            • Feb 2011

Still can't get the receiver to bind again. Tried using a separate power switch but since it won't bind, unable to try the switch. I ordered a 6 channel Lepton receiver, but now I find I can't get a crystal for it. I tried Caliber Hobby but they are out of stock and it appears that GWS Systems may not even be in business from my further searching. Does anyone have a channel 69 crystal that will work in receiver that I just ordered? Getting Frustrated! HELP. Ted

Comment

• KevinMc
                              Commander
                              • Feb 2009

Hi Ted,

According to their website this place has stock on Ch 69 GWS crystals: http://www.robotmarketplace.com/prod...WX1R75570.html
                              KMc Designs

Comment

Working...