• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ir3aus
    Lieutenant
    • Mar 2010

SL-8 and Hitec Laser 6

Tech Gurus,

Hope this is the right place for this question. The Hitec Laser 6 only allows 90 degrees of servo rotation. For all of the applications in the Type VII SD, this amounts to +-45 degrees. Not enough to get full benefit of the rudders and dive planes. Hitec said that I would need programable servos; not practical in this application. Does the WFLY have programming or settings to get more than 90 degrees of servo rotation. If so, my order for the WFLY 8 will go in today, otherwise hopefully there will be some other solutions.

Thanks,

Iran
    There is a fine line between hobbies and mental illness!
  • Kazzer
    • Aug 2008

Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't this be remedied by having one set of bell cranks/servos longer than the other.

What I'm trying to say is if the servo arm, from pivot point to the push rod hole is say 1/2", and on the rudder, from the pivot shaft to the push-rod hole is 1/4", surely the rudder is going to move more than 45 deg each way????
    Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• tsenecal
      Lieutenant
      • Dec 2009

the bigger question is why iran thinks he needs more than 45 degrees of movement on his diving planes and rudder. i only use about 10 degrees of movement on the diving planes on my type II, and maybe 30 to 40 degrees of movement from center on my rudder.

Comment

• Slats
        Vice Admiral
        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by tsenecal
        the bigger question is why iran thinks he needs more than 45 degrees of movement on his diving planes and rudder. i only use about 10 degrees of movement on the diving planes on my type II, and maybe 30 to 40 degrees of movement from center on my rudder.
        Agree - 30 degrees of plane throw is enough. I find boats that this is not enough on tend in the main to be suffering from excessive weight issues. Anything more than 30 degrees and you are approaching servo stall territory, which means maxing out your ESC's onboard BEC (if you use one), and being unkind to even standalone BEC or VR units.

Mike is also right throw can be mechanically enhanced or diminished at the control horns.

Best
        J
        John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
        Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• ir3aus
          Lieutenant
          • Mar 2010

Re: Servo Throw

I agree with all that has been said. However, David sets up the servo package when he delivers the SubDriver. I am sure that he has worked out all of the servo issues in terms of where on each of the servo arms the linkage should be placed. Having said that, the servo that drives the vent/blow valve mechanism does not move enough to provide the proper control of the vent and blow valves. When I exercise this servo using my servo tester, I get full throw on this servo. When I use the Hitec to move this servo I get half of the throw. So I ask the question once again, is the Hitec Laser 6 the wrong transmitter to be using on this SubDriver. Should I, instead, switch to the WFLY which I believe the end points of the servo travel can be increased.
          There is a fine line between hobbies and mental illness!

Comment

Working...