• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SteveJ
    Lieutenant
    • Aug 2008

LBP Mini Pump Controller

Kevin

I installed the Caswell Micro Air Pump along with your Mini Controller into the Seaview SD. I am using the WFLY Radio that Caswell sells. My problem is the pump is not working using the toggle switch on channel 5. I connected it to the dial switch (channel 6) that is used for the dive plane fine tunning and the pump works fine. Is there something I need to do to use the pump with the toggle switch?

Thanks

Steve
  • KevinMc
    Commander
    • Feb 2009

Hi Steve,

You probably need to reduce the "throw" of the toggle switch. The MPC was designed to be "ON" from about 25% throw to 95% throw, but if you exceed 95% it will turn off again. There ought to be a pot on the transmitter that will allow you to "dial down" how much a servo would travel if you had one connected to channel 5.

BTW, if you want to save a channel the other thing you could do is hook up the mini-pump controller to the ballast channel through a Y-cable and the ballast servo. (It was designed to work well both ways.)

KMc
    Kevin McLeod - Oscar II driver
    KMc Designs

Comment

• SteveJ
      Lieutenant
      • Aug 2008

Kevin

I looked and didnt find a pot for the toggle switch on the tx.

Steve

Comment

• KevinMc
        Commander
        • Feb 2009

Hi Steve,

I'm in the process of getting a W-Fly Tx from Caswell to get this sorted out. Unfortunately I'm just not familiar enough with the W-Fly to do it blind. (I'm a Tracker driver.)

I'll advise as soon as I have radio in hand.
        KMc Designs

Comment

• SteveJ
          Lieutenant
          • Aug 2008

Kevin

Any updates???

Steve

Comment

• KevinMc
            Commander
            • Feb 2009

Hi Steve,

Glad to know you're still here! Yes, I've identified the problem and (as of last weekend) corrected it. With updated software the MPC will work as desired off the W-fly's switched channel, the catch is you'll need to send it back to me for the software update. (All MPCs will ship out with the new software from this point forward.) PM me for details on returning (updating) your MPC.

KMc
            KMc Designs

Comment

• SteveJ
              Lieutenant
              • Aug 2008

Kevin

Thanks for the reply. It was suggested I add a 10k pot to the wfly tx. I might look into that. Any help with going that way?

Steve
              Last edited by SteveJ; 04-25-2009, 04:32 PM.

Comment

• KevinMc
                Commander
                • Feb 2009

Hi Steve,

If you feel comfortable opening up and modifying your radio I'll be happy to work out the appropriate fix. Bear with me for another day or two...

KMc
                KMc Designs

Comment

• KevinMc
                  Commander
                  • Feb 2009

Before I forget to report on my findings (again!) I've long since opened up my W-Fly in an attempt to modify the throw of the switched channel with a pot - unfortunately it didn't work. It appears that the encoding device which reads the switch only understands two positions, and the "magnitude" of those positions cannot be altered by introducing a resistance into the switch circuit. I actually went so far as to completely replace the switch with a pot on my unit. What I found was that when I rotated the pot the servo position would not change until I got near to the "middle" of the range of the pot, at which time the servo output would suddenly "snap" to the other position.

Sorry folks, if you've got a "first generation" MPC and want to use it with the switched channel on the W-fly radio you'll have to send it back to me for a software update. All MPCs currently being sold have already been updated with the new software.
                  KMc Designs

Comment

• shamrock
                    Lieutenant
                    • Jan 2009

mpc switch

my mpc switch will not turn on the pump .i am using channel six on my wfly radio.the green led light comes on with command from remote but pump will not come on.i have checked pump with good battery,direct connect.it works.followed insulation to the t.i still have no luck.the switch was purchased from caswell on 4-23-09.delivered 5-11-09.i would appreciate any information you can give me.i am very disappointed that i could not hook up my snort system.thank you shamrock.
                    horse power by the hour

Comment

• KevinMc
                      Commander
                      • Feb 2009

Hi Shamrock,

How frustrating! The green LED turning on indicates that the controller is seeing servo commands and trying to turn on the solid state relay, so that takes care of the "front end". The "back end" of the MPC is pretty simple, just relay contacts, the motor, and some snubber circuitry.

Do you have a voltmeter?

You mentioned powering up the motor to test it by applying power directly - was this before or after you mounted the MPC?
                      KMc Designs

Comment

• shamrock
                        Lieutenant
                        • Jan 2009

applied six volt supply to switch stand alone.battery pack seperated from control after mounting mpc to back of pump.i jumped the negative on the power supply in to the negative on the switch.pump came on.switch is still mounted to pump.i can get a volt meter.what do i need to check as i have power at the top of switch.thank you.
                        horse power by the hour

Comment

• KevinMc
                          Commander
                          • Feb 2009

Originally posted by shamrock
                          applied six volt supply to switch stand alone.battery pack seperated from control after mounting mpc to back of pump.i jumped the negative on the power supply in to the negative on the switch.pump came on.switch is still mounted to pump.i can get a volt meter.what do i need to check as i have power at the top of switch.thank you.
                          Hi Shamrock,

From what you're saying it sounds like the solid-state relay has gone. (First time for everything!) I'll PM you my mailing info so you can send it in to me...

KMc
                          KMc Designs

Comment

• KevinMc
                            Commander
                            • Feb 2009

Hi Shamrock,

You MPC came in the end of last week. As I suspected the SS relay was shot. (First time for everything!) I've repaired it and sent it back on it's way already. Sorry for the trouble.

KMc
                            KMc Designs

Comment

Working...