X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Albion
    Captain
    • Dec 2008

Over Riding ADF2

Im setting my ADF2 at the moment. I have it set on channel 6 with the rotary control knob, and plan to use this servo connected to rear planes, and use knob to fine tune the boat. However the servo isnt responding to changes when connected through the ADF. Its a Hi Tec Rx with Futaba TX.

Any ideas?
    Next time someone points out it takes 42 muscles to frown, point out it will only take 4 muscles to b1tch slap them if they tell you how mnay muscles you need to smile:pop
  • KevinMc
    Commander
    • Feb 2009

Your setup sounds typical, I have my KILO set up the same way.

What flash pattern do you observe when you first put power to your Rx bus? Does the servo respond to changes in pitch at the ADF2? Is the ballast failsafe side working properly?
    Kevin McLeod - Oscar II driver
    KMc Designs

Comment

• Albion
      Captain
      • Dec 2008

green and red single flash
      yes responds to pitch changes
      it deosnt seem to be entering set up mode, although i can set zero bubble
      im running 2 x A123 batteries giving 6.6V to mtronics esc which is powering the RX

Also used a futaba RX with same setup, and also not working. I mainly didn't hook in the failsafe, but tried it quickly and the servo doesnt move when connected through the failsafe
      Last edited by Albion; 05-09-2011, 09:19 PM.
      Next time someone points out it takes 42 muscles to frown, point out it will only take 4 muscles to b1tch slap them if they tell you how mnay muscles you need to smile:pop

Comment

• KevinMc
        Commander
        • Feb 2009

If you're only getting a single green+red flash and nothing after that then the ADF2 is not seeing any signals coming in from your Rx. Presumable you've also hooked in some servos directly to the Rx and they work fine? Also, the please be sure that the Tx is on and transmitting before you turn receiver power on?
        KMc Designs

Comment

• Albion
          Captain
          • Dec 2008

I'm away now for a couple of nights so will double check when i get back.

TX is on before powering up RX system, and all other Servos , connected directly to RX work, so do the stern planes and ballast servo's if plugged in directly.
          Will double check the single flash again

The TX batteries were low, and it started yelling at me when i got to end of testing other day, will fix that in case that has an effect.

Could it be low volts to the system, ie 6.6V input to Mtronics ESC with integrated BEC? I could try an external BEC to see if that has an impact.
          This is in the Type VII wtc so its limited by space. I wanted to avoid separate BEC if possible. I could also add a third battery to give me 9.9V input to Mtronics ESC

Comment

• Albion
            Captain
            • Dec 2008

single blink, so i guess compatibility with the RX? but my other rx (futaba doesnt work either)

Comment

• Albion
              Captain
              • Dec 2008

ok just tried with third RX, again its a Hi Tec, but this time its a 4 channel 35mhz, whereas the others were 72. this time it works, i can move the servo using the TX, and get more than a single blink on start up. Is it the frequency? or just the RX isnt compatible

Comment

• KevinMc
                Commander
                • Feb 2009

Hi Albion,

This is very puzzling - I can't argue that you seem to be having a compatibility hiccup of some kind, but the ADF2 was specifically designed to avoid such problems!

Can you tell me which model numbers of Rx's you're using work and which don't? (For what it's worth, I'm using a 75MHz HiTec Supreme 8 in my OSCAR II with an ADF2 without issue.)

Oviously I don't recommend this as a general practise, but for another data point try this test: Using your 72MHz set (that doesn't work with the ADF2) unplug the ADF2, turn on Tx, turn on Rx, verify you've got motion on all servos, then hot-plug (Rx still powered) the ADF2 into the Rx and observe the flash code. (I want to be absolutely certain that the signals are present from the Rx when the ADF2 is powered up.) Thanks for your patience, we'll get this figured out.
                KMc Designs

Comment

• Albion
                  Captain
                  • Dec 2008

not working
                  Futaba R136F which came with the RX
                  Hi Tec Electron 6

Both 72Mhz

working Hi Tec HFS-05MS 35Mhz

Tried the hot plugging, and single flash again, still no motion on servo, except by moving the ADF2

Comment

• KevinMc
                    Commander
                    • Feb 2009

Hi Albion,

That definitely sounds like a compatibility thing, although again this model of ADF was specifically designed to avoid such problems. I'm going to get hold of an R136F and see if there's anything I can see. It may take me a couple of days, but I'll get back to you.
                    KMc Designs

Comment

• Albion
                      Captain
                      • Dec 2008

The R136F is relatively big, and as this is WTC for Type VII, not a lot of real estate. would prefer a smaller RX in there if possible. If you have some suggestions for compatible RX at 72MHZ happy to get another..

Dave if your reading this, i also noticed some stalling of the starboard motor. if i flex the the aluminium tray then the problem goes away, looks like i might ha a dry joint, doesnt seem to be a short to the the tray

Comment

• Subculture
                        Admiral
                        • Feb 2009

These work quite well. The resolution is a bit coarse (low-bit analogue to digital conversion), but compact and inexpensive- http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=6406

Comment

• KevinMc
                          Commander
                          • Feb 2009

Hi Albion,

I can't speak highly enough of the Sombra Labs SL-8 receivers Mike carries - The one unit covers both 75MHz and 72MHz, no crystals required, and they're bulletproof.

For what it's worth, I will also have an R136F in hand in a couple of day's time so I can try replicate the issue. BTW, what transmitter are you using?
                          KMc Designs

Comment

• Albion
                            Captain
                            • Dec 2008

Futaba T6EXAP

Comment

• KevinMc
                              Commander
                              • Feb 2009

OK, since this is not my first run-in with an R136F receiver I went out and bought one. I've replicated the problem, understand it, and have worked out a fix. It is a compatibility issue, but it's readily correctable with a minor part change. I'll be happy to upgrade your ADF2 to correct the problem if you want to send it to me.
                              KMc Designs

Comment

Working...